Old July 20th 20, 03:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Steel pipe for flag pole

I found a local shop that has the 4130 tube. Kinda pricey stuff, but to keep costs reasonable what wall thickness do you think would do the job? 1.5" with 3/8" wall is about $18/ft. I don't think I would need that much wall thickness but I really have no idea?

Old July 20th 20, 05:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

I found a local shop that has the 4130 tube. Kinda pricey stuff, but to
keep costs reasonable what wall thickness do you think would do the job?
1.5" with 3/8" wall is about $18/ft. I don't think I would need that much
wall thickness but I really have no idea?

===============================

I'm not a professional engineer so I can't design for you, and if I was one
I wouldn't work for free.

You can search for sites like these:
https://www.flagandbanner.com/flag_b..._flagpoles.asp

https://www.engineeringexpress.com/calculators19/

Old July 20th 20, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, July 20, 2020 at 3:04:56 PM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:

That is a lot thicker than needed. The 20' one I have is 3" with 1/8"
thick aluminum.

--
Steve W.

Good to know. I priced 1-3/4" .120 wall 4130 and it came to about $325! I think i'm going to go back to 1-1/4" sch 40 inside the aluminum. I think I only had 1" previously after seeing how Sch40 is measured from ID, not OD. I would like 1-1/2", but it's just a tad too big to fit inside the 2" aluminum at the joint. So I think stepping up 1 size, and making it 1 full 20' piece instead of 2 with a joint,,,,,, hopefully it will be enough.
Old July 21st 20, 10:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

On Monday, July 20, 2020 at 3:04:56 PM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:

That is a lot thicker than needed. The 20' one I have is 3" with 1/8"
thick aluminum.

--
Steve W.

Good to know. I priced 1-3/4" .120 wall 4130 and it came to about $325!
I think i'm going to go back to 1-1/4" sch 40 inside the aluminum. I think
I only had 1" previously after seeing how Sch40 is measured from ID, not OD.
I would like 1-1/2", but it's just a tad too big to fit inside the 2"
aluminum at the joint. So I think stepping up 1 size, and making it 1 full
20' piece instead of 2 with a joint,,,,,, hopefully it will be enough.

==============================

Pipe standards originated back when pipe was made from wrought iron which is
weaker than steel. The ID of modern steel pipe is approximately the same as
the old Extra-Strong standard.

http://machineryequipmentonline.com/...ght-iron-pipe/

http://www.iceweb.com.au/Tubings/Gla...ad_History.pdf

Chain link fence posts have the same OD as pipe, though thinner walls and
different size designations in fractions close to the actual OD. Electrical
conduit has the same ID as pipe and a smooth interior without the weld seam,
thus EMT and fence posts of the same nominal pipe size telescope in some
combinations.

Old July 21st 20, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 4:54:29 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
==============================

Pipe standards originated back when pipe was made from wrought iron which is
weaker than steel. The ID of modern steel pipe is approximately the same as
the old Extra-Strong standard.

http://machineryequipmentonline.com/...ght-iron-pipe/

http://www.iceweb.com.au/Tubings/Gla...ad_History.pdf

Chain link fence posts have the same OD as pipe, though thinner walls and
different size designations in fractions close to the actual OD. Electrical
conduit has the same ID as pipe and a smooth interior without the weld seam,
thus EMT and fence posts of the same nominal pipe size telescope in some
combinations.

I agree the newer steel with a thinner wall is likely stronger, but it's also way more expensive. I priced 1-3/4" 4130 with .120 wall in a 20' stick and it was $325. I priced 1-1/4" Sch 40, which is 1.68" OD and is $32 for the same 20' stick. I originally had 1" black pipe, so i'll be increasing by 1/4" OD and 1 solid piece instead of 2 jointed 10' pieces. The previous bend/break happened at the joint where the threads were cut. Going a size larger should increase strength, and 1 solid instead of 2 should also help a fair bit. If the 4130 was $100 instead of $300, I would go that route, but I just can't justify that much cost.
Old July 29th 20, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
==============================

[...]

Check with some of the local pipe shops and scrap yards. My flag pole
is a 20' piece of 3" steel pipe that came out of the local oil fields.

Its been up for nearly 30 yrs in 70+ mph winds and doesnt even flinch.
(Grin)
__

"Journalists are extremely rare and shouldn’t be harmed, but propagandists are everywhere and should be hunted for sport"

Yeah..with no bag limit.

Old July 30th 20, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 4:01:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have one of those cheap aluminum flag poles because I don't want to spend $1200 on a high dollar one. It uses 2" pipe sections and works pretty well, but it will bend in high winds. I used black iron pipe inside of it for several years and it worked pretty well, but in our last storm with 70-80mph winds, it did bend and the black pipe broke at the junction (2 10ft sticks). I'm looking for a replacement for the internal pipe that would be stronger. Local metal place recommended sch40 1-1/4" in a 20ft stick but I was thinking maybe some sort of roll bar tubing or similar. I'm not that familiar with the terminology or naming convention of the different metals. I can do up to 1-3/4" inside the aluminum sections. What would be a good choice for this?

Not exactly what you asked, but the maximum bending force is at the base. So you could probably get by with a pipe inside the bottom 15 feet.

Dan

Old July 30th 20, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 12:59:52 PM UTC-5, Gunner Asch wrote:

Check with some of the local pipe shops and scrap yards. My flag pole
is a 20' piece of 3" steel pipe that came out of the local oil fields.

Its been up for nearly 30 yrs in 70+ mph winds and doesnt even flinch.
(Grin)
__

That sounds like a pretty good idea. If this sch40 1-1/4 doesn't hold up, i'll likely do something like that with the larger pipe.
Old July 30th 20, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 1:16:35 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Not exactly what you asked, but the maximum bending force is at the base. So you could probably get by with a pipe inside the bottom 15 feet.

Dan

I completely agree with this. The break was at the top of the first 10ft section, so since I can get sch40 in 10 or 20ft lengths, I just went with a 20ft section in the 1-1/4 size instead of 1" as well as eliminated any joints. That should fare pretty well for the next several years. If it fails, I may at that point upgrade to a larger diameter pipe and re-do my concrete hole in the ground.