Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default belt size

Does anyone know which of the small v belts would be used with
a 1.5 hp 1700 rpm motor? My 9/20 lathe with a 3/4 horse power
motor uses one with a width of approximately 1/4 inch. Next size
up for 1.5 hp?

Hul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/13/2020 3:55 PM, Hul Tytus wrote:
Does anyone know which of the small v belts would be used with
a 1.5 hp 1700 rpm motor? My 9/20 lathe with a 3/4 horse power
motor uses one with a width of approximately 1/4 inch. Next size
up for 1.5 hp?

Hul

I'd go with a 4L belt , IIRC it's about 7/16" wide at the top .
--
Snag
Illegitimi non
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Hul Tytus" wrote in message ...

Does anyone know which of the small v belts would be used with
a 1.5 hp 1700 rpm motor? My 9/20 lathe with a 3/4 horse power
motor uses one with a width of approximately 1/4 inch. Next size
up for 1.5 hp?

Hul

==================================

https://www.contractingbusiness.com/...ement-fan-belt

My first choice for a new installation is the B sized belts and pulleys the
hardware store carries, mostly due to their easy availability. One seems
adequate for the 240V, 15A 3450 RPM motor on my cobbled-together 60 gallon
air compressor, though it did stretch and loosen at first. If it fails I'll
put a smaller pulley on the motor to reduce the pump speed. The one on it
now is 4", the proper size to match the nominal pump speed would be 3.8",
and I bought a 3.5" just in case.

The B belt on my 6.5 HP "hand-crafted" (home-made) sawmill has held up well
through several months of daily use. I did have one fail on the home-made
hydraulic pump drive on my 18 HP tractor, but it had lasted a while and
slowing the pump by giving it a larger pulley cured the problem. Edge cords
broke and caused the belt to roll sideways where it lacked the grip to drive
the pump.

My 3HP snow blower takes an A size belt, the 7 HP one uses B belts.

The rated horsepower can be calculated if you have the belt data, which is
unlikely for hardware store belts.
https://www.engineersedge.com/belt_d...-design-hp.htm

I've run the numbers for shaft fatigue life and Lovejoy coupler rating for
which all the data is available, but just adjust or replace belts with
better Gates ones as needed if I run them too close to their capacity. Like
WW2 aircraft engines I use the strengthen-whatever-breaks design principle
rather than trying to measure and calculate everything, especially peak
dynamic loading.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message ...

"Hul Tytus" wrote in message ...

[...]

===========

I should have looked up the sizes. Put 3L where I wrote A and 4L for B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim - engineersedge sounds good; I'll take a look. Efficiency is
the first consideration at this point and the smaller the belt, for
the V types, the less loss. The same assumptions indicate
a thin flat belt with hi tensile fibers would be better. The v types
are easy to work with though.

Hul

"Hul Tytus" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

https://www.mcmaster.com/v-belts

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I checked mcmaster. They had only the large v belts, unfortunantly. The
small belts (those on the 9/20 lathes are 3/16 in. wide for 3/4 hp) apparantly
are made only by Gates and they have calculator for figuring belt size but
it requires some learning. I was hoping for someone with a Chinese 12/36 lathe
and 1.5 hp motor who might check the belt size.

Hul

Snag wrote:
On 7/13/2020 3:55 PM, Hul Tytus wrote:
Does anyone know which of the small v belts would be used with
a 1.5 hp 1700 rpm motor? My 9/20 lathe with a 3/4 horse power
motor uses one with a width of approximately 1/4 inch. Next size
up for 1.5 hp?

Hul

I'd go with a 4L belt , IIRC it's about 7/16" wide at the top .
--
Snag
Illegitimi non
carborundum

https://www.mcmaster.com/v-belts

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 15:43:19 +0000 (UTC)
Hul Tytus wrote:

I checked mcmaster. They had only the large v belts, unfortunantly. The
small belts (those on the 9/20 lathes are 3/16 in. wide for 3/4 hp) apparantly
are made only by Gates and they have calculator for figuring belt size but
it requires some learning. I was hoping for someone with a Chinese 12/36 lathe
and 1.5 hp motor who might check the belt size.

You can look yourself. Grizzly has decent manuals and that lathe:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...ed-Lathe/G4003

Seems it uses a 2hp single phase motor and "V-Belt A29"

Parts manual is here, pdf page 15:

https://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g4003_pl.pdf

--
Leon Fisk