Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tap drill size

Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me the correct drill size for use with this tap?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-32-32-GH...AOSwpnRe86N k

I am guessing 7/16" or very close, but does anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

Chris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 15:43:04 -0700, Christopher Tidy wrote:

Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me the correct drill size for use with this tap?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-32-32-GH...AOSwpnRe86N k

I am guessing 7/16" or very close, but does anyone know for sure?

In metric the tap would be 11.9 x .794 mm; charts like at
https://www.victornet.com/reference/Tap_Drill.html show
11.25 mm drill for 12 x 0.75, and taking off 0.1 mm would
give 11.15, which is 0.0015 over 7/16". The metric calculator
at http://theoreticalmachinist.com/TapDrillSizeCalculators
gives 11.20 for a 12 x 0.8 mm thread at 77% thread.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Hi folks,
Can anyone tell me the correct drill size for use with this tap?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-32-32-GH...AOSwpnRe86N k
I am guessing 7/16" or very close, but does anyone know for sure?
Thanks!
Chris
==================================
This gives 80% thread for a 7/16" hole.
http://theoreticalmachinist.com/TapDrillSizeCalculators

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Great. Thanks for the answers!

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message

Great. Thanks for the answers!

Chris

=================

15/32-32 is the US standard for toggle switches. 1/4-32, 5/16-32 and 3/8-32
are also electronic thread standards. I used a 3/8-32 tap to make a heatsink
that screws onto the F connector on a USB TV tuner that ran hot. 5/16-32
fits a Schrader tire valve, loosely.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

15/32-32 is the US standard for toggle switches. 1/4-32, 5/16-32 and 3/8-32
are also electronic thread standards. I used a 3/8-32 tap to make a heatsink
that screws onto the F connector on a USB TV tuner that ran hot. 5/16-32
fits a Schrader tire valve, loosely.

A toggle switch is exactly what I want the tap for. The problem is that the plate is 10 mm thick, so there isn't enough axial length for the retaining nut and washer.

By the way, what size is the Schrader valve thread officially?

Thanks!

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message

15/32-32 is the US standard for toggle switches. 1/4-32, 5/16-32 and
3/8-32
are also electronic thread standards. I used a 3/8-32 tap to make a
heatsink
that screws onto the F connector on a USB TV tuner that ran hot. 5/16-32
fits a Schrader tire valve, loosely.

A toggle switch is exactly what I want the tap for. The problem is that the
plate is 10 mm thick, so there isn't enough axial length for the retaining
nut and washer.

By the way, what size is the Schrader valve thread officially?

Thanks!

Chris

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrader_valve
I've also seen 0.302" / 7.7mm specified.

The "Leica" thread is a mix of metric diameter and British pitch and form.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M39_lens_mount

Strangely, the rim + tire on a Soviet artillery piece captured in Iraq that
I saw at an air show was sized in inches. The tire was Russian, made in
Moscow (Mockba).