DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Heat treating oven control equipment (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/67462-heat-treating-oven-control-equipment.html)

John Wilson September 1st 04 02:30 AM

Heat treating oven control equipment

I have a small 6"x6"x4" oven and need temperature control.

I am considering a Fuji PXR3 temperature/process controller and will need a
thermocouple and a power switching device.

My electronic skills are pretty basic. I would welcome advice on what
thermocouple, insulation and housing is best suited.

Should I choose a relay or a sold state relay?

Is there a better way to heat treat and case harden?

TIA, John.

TLKALLAM8 September 1st 04 08:52 AM

Yes use a solid state relay any thing else will were out fast .
Here is the type of probe I use
..http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/pr...&par=6512&cat=
1&srt=&flt=[all]~[all]~K&sch=533&sku=

This probe is a type K controler

Randal O'Brian September 1st 04 05:41 PM

I have an earlier version of the same controller on my furnace and it works
very well. Use a solid state relay, just make sure you heat sink it.

Omega makes any kind of thermocouple you need and they have a website.
Make sure the controller turns off with loss of thermocouple signal.

I used two neon pilot lights on my set-up. One was a master power "On" and
the other was "Heater Power" , downstream of the relay showing when the
heater is energized and thus giving a ready indication of proper
relay/controller function.

Randy

. ..

Bob Engelhardt September 1st 04 10:21 PM

Heat treating oven control equipment

Why does your oven control equipment need to be heat treated? (Sorry, I
just couldn't resist 8-) ) Bob

John Wilson September 3rd 04 12:22 AM

Thanks for the advice and web sites. Bob my English (my first and only
language) may not be perfect but I get along and I did appreciate your
humor.

John

Don Foreman September 3rd 04 06:05 AM

I know little about heat treating, but from what I do know about the
temp ranges involved I think a type K thermocouple would be suitable.
Type K is good up to about 2000 deg F, maybe a bit higher, most
controllers I've seen accomodate type K and they're readily available.

You can get type K thermocouple wire from McMaster, along with the
yellow connectors for them. It's easy to weld up thermocouples from
wire, and it's a lot cheaper than buying them readymade if you don't
need 0.1 degree absolute accuracy.

I weld "utility" thermocouples with a Smith O/A Li'l Torch. If I want
them better than that, I TIG weld them! I pull an arc with the TIG
to a copper block and then bring the wires near the arc (and within
the argon shielding gas) to weld them. It works for me!