Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default question: keeping a bolt tight in a hot frying pan

Keeping a bolt tight in a hot frying pan

That's the problem. Lovely non-stick frying pan, but the handle
loosens frequently. Wife got a replacement for the stove, but wants
to keep this one for baking. So, removed the handle.
It was not as I thought, a problem from a steel machine screw
going into an aluminum pan. There is a steel bracket that the screw
threads into.
And there is a split washer on the screw, but it seems to be to
have gotten flattened. While the pan doesn't get really hot, it does,
apparently, get hot enough to remove any temper in that split washer.
So, my question, does anyone know if there are split washers or
the like, made for a "high" temperature environment? This is right
now purely for information. Unless she buys another pan, it is of
purely intellectual interest.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 16:58:09 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

:-) I've been married for nearly 50 years and all that time I've been
tightening handles on cooking pots :-)

K & R make high temperature lock washers

https://www.k-rfastenersinc.com/prod...&cat=3137&page
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You need a "star" lockwasher instead of a "split" lockwasher and a
slightly deformed thread helps too - NOT deformed at "the tip" but
about 3 threads from "tight"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

A good conical spring washer works good too - it is the change in
temperature and differential expoansion that allows them to back off.
The "belleville" type I believe they call them, is a "pretensioning
spring".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

Keeping a bolt tight in a hot frying pan
tschus
pyotr
==================================

The bolts through this Zytel nylon bracket kept loosening until I drilled
and safety wired their heads.
https://tinyurl.com/yctw5dcp

The wire is just loosely bent so it doesn't shake out, not twisted together,
and it's kept the pump and motor bolts tight for over 20 yrs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

https://www.eis-inc.com/threadlocker/p-loc1138282

https://www.bokers.com/star_washers.asp

https://www.ndindustries.com/product...ing/thermoloc/

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod54624.aspx

Its..simple really.

__

"Journalists are extremely rare and shouldn’t be harmed, but propagandists are everywhere and should be hunted for sport"

Yeah..with no bag limit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, June 13, 2020 at 7:58:08 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

wasn't there a discussion recently here about how split washers really don't do anything? And John B. is right: tightening pot handles is part of being married.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 23:42:17 +0000 (UTC), me2k wrote:

[...]

Generally speaking a internal ar double star washer was the washer of
choice for good cookwear

Non-stick frying pan. OFF TOPIC? Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 56 December 29th 06 05:43 PM
Non-stick frying pan Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 6 December 26th 06 12:13 AM
Teflon frying pan Don Lee Home Repair 33 February 1st 06 12:29 AM
FA: Electric Hot Glue Frying Pan for attaching waste blocks B Jones Woodturning 6 February 25th 05 09:26 PM
What's to be done with an old frying-pan? D.M. Procida UK diy 44 February 19th 05 11:21 PM