DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   question: keeping a bolt tight in a hot frying pan (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/650638-question-keeping-bolt-tight-hot-frying-pan.html)

pyotr filipivich June 14th 20 01:58 AM

question: keeping a bolt tight in a hot frying pan

Keeping a bolt tight in a hot frying pan

That's the problem. Lovely non-stick frying pan, but the handle
loosens frequently. Wife got a replacement for the stove, but wants
to keep this one for baking. So, removed the handle.
It was not as I thought, a problem from a steel machine screw
going into an aluminum pan. There is a steel bracket that the screw
threads into.
And there is a split washer on the screw, but it seems to be to
have gotten flattened. While the pan doesn't get really hot, it does,
apparently, get hot enough to remove any temper in that split washer.
So, my question, does anyone know if there are split washers or
the like, made for a "high" temperature environment? This is right
now purely for information. Unless she buys another pan, it is of
purely intellectual interest.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote

John B.[_7_] June 14th 20 02:16 AM

question: keeping a bolt tight in a hot frying pan

On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 16:58:09 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

:-) I've been married for nearly 50 years and all that time I've been
tightening handles on cooking pots :-)

K & R make high temperature lock washers

https://www.k-rfastenersinc.com/prod...&cat=3137&page
--
cheers,

John B.

Clare Snyder June 14th 20 03:33 AM

wrote:

[...]

You need a "star" lockwasher instead of a "split" lockwasher and a
slightly deformed thread helps too - NOT deformed at "the tip" but
about 3 threads from "tight"

Clare Snyder June 14th 20 03:39 AM

question: keeping a bolt tight in a hot frying pan

wrote:

[...]

A good conical spring washer works good too - it is the change in
temperature and differential expoansion that allows them to back off.
The "belleville" type I believe they call them, is a "pretensioning
spring".

Jim Wilkins[_2_] June 14th 20 12:10 PM

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

Keeping a bolt tight in a hot frying pan
tschus
pyotr
==================================

The bolts through this Zytel nylon bracket kept loosening until I drilled
and safety wired their heads.
https://tinyurl.com/yctw5dcp

The wire is just loosely bent so it doesn't shake out, not twisted together,
and it's kept the pump and motor bolts tight for over 20 yrs.

Gunner Asch[_6_] June 16th 20 04:52 AM

wrote:

[...]

https://www.eis-inc.com/threadlocker/p-loc1138282

https://www.bokers.com/star_washers.asp

https://www.ndindustries.com/product...ing/thermoloc/

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod54624.aspx

Its..simple really.

__

"Journalists are extremely rare and shouldn’t be harmed, but propagandists are everywhere and should be hunted for sport"

Yeah..with no bag limit.

RangersSuck June 17th 20 07:28 PM

On Saturday, June 13, 2020 at 7:58:08 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

wasn't there a discussion recently here about how split washers really don't do anything? And John B. is right: tightening pot handles is part of being married.

Clare Snyder July 7th 20 02:51 AM

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 23:42:17 +0000 (UTC), me2k wrote:

[...]

Generally speaking a internal ar double star washer was the washer of
choice for good cookwear