Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Freon bottles air pressure ???

On Sunday, January 24, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, James Hubbard wrote:
About ten years ago I wanted to make one of these air tanks out of a
freon jug. I bought a kit with a valve, hose and safety valve in it . My
dad had worked on air conditioners for 20some years, so I went and asked
him for an empty tank. He told me that about ten years before he was
asked by the company he worked for(a large chemical company that also
made freon) to try to find them some old freon tanks so they could test
them. He rounded up several and he was told to take them to the
company's safety research lab. He took them to the lab and while he was
there he asked why they wanted them. The man over the lab told him that a
person had made an air tank from one of their old freon jugs and went to
a gas station to fill the tank. He was holding the tank between his legs
when it split apart. He lived but without some of his vital parts, anyway
he decided to file a lawsuit against this company because the tank blew
up. I cant tell you to use your tank because there are thousands out
there that are ok, But I went out and bought a new portable air tank.
Jim Hubbard

I have a 50 lb R-22 tank that I've been using as my portable air tank for OVER 30 YEARS!! It's always been kept in the house which may have helped. I suppose though, I should go looking for a fresh one. T'care, Mike
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 May 2020 05:06:27 -0700, mreillynascar wrote:

[...]

Interesting coincidence there ... looks like it was 30 years ago that
Jim Hubbard bought a new portable air tank instead of converting a
Freon tank. It also would be interesting to know the percentages on
bursting of Freon tanks vs official air tanks; if the numbers are at
all similar, the big differences might be (1) your initial cost for
the tank, and (2) how much damages your estate can recover from the
manufacturer.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 May 2020 05:06:27 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

At 30C R22 is about 160psi
Freon tanks have a "blowout disc" that ruptures at something
approaching 600PSI. A freon tank is likely safer than a lot of cheap
"air pigs" designed to operate at 120PSI . painting the interior to
protect against moisture MIGHT be a good idea (on the air pig too - -
- )
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Clare Snyder wrote:
At 30C R22 is about 160psi
Freon tanks have a "blowout disc" that ruptures at something
approaching 600PSI. A freon tank is likely safer than a lot of cheap
"air pigs" designed to operate at 120PSI . painting the interior to
protect against moisture MIGHT be a good idea (on the air pig too - -
- )

How would a 20 lb propane cylinder compare? It's getting hard to
have them requalified in my area....

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 03:06:57 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

Clare Snyder wrote:
At 30C R22 is about 160psi
Freon tanks have a "blowout disc" that ruptures at something
approaching 600PSI. A freon tank is likely safer than a lot of cheap
"air pigs" designed to operate at 120PSI . painting the interior to
protect against moisture MIGHT be a good idea (on the air pig too - -
- )

How would a 20 lb propane cylinder compare? It's getting hard to
have them requalified in my area....

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Definitely a lot more sturdy than the freon tank. I'm using one. I
unscrew the valve and use pipe thread fittings.When I pull the valve I
clean it out with hot water and amonia to get rid of the mercapitan
stink.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Clare Snyder wrote:
At 30C R22 is about 160psi
Freon tanks have a "blowout disc" that ruptures at something
approaching 600PSI. A freon tank is likely safer than a lot of cheap
"air pigs" designed to operate at 120PSI . painting the interior to
protect against moisture MIGHT be a good idea (on the air pig too - -
- )

How would a 20 lb propane cylinder compare? It's getting hard to
have them requalified in my area....

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Definitely a lot more sturdy than the freon tank. I'm using one. I
unscrew the valve and use pipe thread fittings.When I pull the valve I
clean it out with hot water and amonia to get rid of the mercapitan
stink.

That's a deodorizing trick I didn't know about. Thank you!

bob prohaska

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Clare Snyder wrote:
At 30C R22 is about 160psi
Freon tanks have a "blowout disc" that ruptures at something
approaching 600PSI. A freon tank is likely safer than a lot of cheap
"air pigs" designed to operate at 120PSI . painting the interior to
protect against moisture MIGHT be a good idea (on the air pig too - -
- )

How would a 20 lb propane cylinder compare? It's getting hard to
have them requalified in my area....

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Definitely a lot more sturdy than the freon tank. I'm using one. I
unscrew the valve and use pipe thread fittings.When I pull the valve I
clean it out with hot water and amonia to get rid of the mercapitan
stink.

That's a deodorizing trick I didn't know about. Thank you!

bob prohaska

I have been using a 30 lb tank mounted upside down to get the fitting
on the bottom. A 3/4" nipple and Tee fitting with the drain and infeed
check valve to the side branch while the outlet is a pipefitted
through the bottom and up into the centre area fo the tank. safety
valve and controls aer on the output. In this way I avoided the need
for additional bosses to be welded to the tank. I also have a similar
settup with regulator/filter on the input when I want lower, regulated
pressure. I don't know how I ever got along before I blew a whole
three bucks on an old Gardner/Denver single cylinder @ cfm compressor!
Of course it cost another dollar for a 1/2HP motor to run it and about
$70.00 for controls and safety valve etc.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerry wrote:
I have been using a 30 lb tank mounted upside down to get the fitting
on the bottom. A 3/4" nipple and Tee fitting with the drain and infeed
check valve to the side branch while the outlet is a pipefitted
through the bottom and up into the centre area fo the tank. safety

I don't understand this centralized delivery pipe. Seems to me you'd
want to draw all output from the bottom, to drain off condensate.
Am I missing something?

valve and controls aer on the output. In this way I avoided the need
for additional bosses to be welded to the tank. I also have a similar
settup with regulator/filter on the input when I want lower, regulated
pressure. I don't know how I ever got along before I blew a whole
three bucks on an old Gardner/Denver single cylinder @ cfm compressor!
Of course it cost another dollar for a 1/2HP motor to run it and about
$70.00 for controls and safety valve etc.

How long ago?

8-)

Thanks for writing!
ps, turns out my tanks don't expire for another year. Time to plan....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/24/2020 8:38 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
Clare Snyder wrote:
I clean it out with hot water and amonia to get rid of the mercapitan
stink.

That's a deodorizing trick I didn't know about. Thank you!

bob prohaska

I use bleach to deodorize - works very well. That mercaptan smell is
VERY persistent.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 May 2020 04:32:46 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

Gerry wrote:
[...]

Gotta be around 15 years ago now!