Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Case hardening question

I'm working on a Savage .17 HMR for a neighbor , and he's lost a part
.. The spring clip that retains the firing pin , extractor , and
"cartridge guide" has broken and the guide piece is lost - and I haven't
been able to source one to replace it . The spring is on order from
Numrich as soon as they can get their doors back open it should be on
the way . The guide is basically a mirror image of the extractor , and I
have one 90% complete , but I'm wondering if I need to case harden it .
I have the stuff , but have one question about post-hardening heat
treatment . Where this is a thin layer of hard over a soft core , I'm
wondering if I just need to heat , dip in the Kasenite , reheat to red
heat and quench , or do I need to temper it after hardening . Or even if
I need to harden it at all , It's not under a lot of stress , and the
only metal to metal contact will be with brass cases . This is a very
small part , about .060" thick by .140" wide and about an inch long .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 May 2020 22:22:59 -0500, Snag wrote:

[...]

You probably did, but did you check with Brownells? They have some
Savage parts.

--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 May 2020 11:18:55 +0700, John B.
wrote:

[...]

I'f think case hardening would extend it's life. The soft core would
give it strength. Generally case harfened parts are used "as is" or
"as treated".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/12/2020 11:18 PM, John B. wrote:
[...]

Yup , and their selection of Savage parts does not include this one .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's what I thought , but it never hurts to check with folks that
heave more experience with this sort of thing .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/12/2020 8:22 PM, Snag wrote:

[...]

I would make parts like that out of spring steel. I've got a small
sheet I bought from McMaster 15years ago that is hardly smaller than
when I bought it that has made a bunch of parts over the years.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Am Mittwoch, 13. Mai 2020 16:21:45 UTC+2 schrieb Bob La Londe:

I would make parts like that out of spring steel. I've got a small
sheet I bought from McMaster 15years ago that is hardly smaller than
when I bought it that has made a bunch of parts over the years.

How thick is that spring steel from McMaster, and how do you cut it to size?

Thanks!

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Why didnt you simply order one from Savage?
__

"Journalists are extremely rare and shouldn’t be harmed, but propagandists are everywhere and should be hunted for sport"

Yeah..with no bag limit.

Case hardening ... Arfa Daily UK diy 22 June 24th 10 02:06 PM
Case hardening instructions? Dave Hinz Metalworking 9 February 28th 06 04:38 PM
Case hardening steel, what types will work? Martin Whybrow Metalworking 9 June 23rd 05 01:19 AM
Wood Movement: Case hardening vs moisture change Joe C. Woodworking 0 March 12th 05 04:39 PM
Warping when Hardening and Tempering RWL Metalworking 12 October 22nd 03 03:53 AM