Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A new pivot bolt

Â* The bolt that the front blade for my yard tractor pivots on was very
very worn , enough that when I tried to drag the dirt/gravel/whatever
instead of pushing it the lock bolt for angling the blade would
disengage and let the blade swivel freely . So I used up my last piece
of 1.25" 4140 to machine a new bolt . Some of the wear was in the
sleeved part that pivots . much more was in the top and bottom plates of
the mount . So the new bolt is bigger just under the head to tighten it
up on the top plate , and the bottom has a 1/2" steel plate with a
precision hole in it . The body was machined .040" over the nominal
"new" size of the original . I haven't tested it yet , but there's a lot
less vertical movement now - like 1/16" vs about 1/2" . And I expect
this new part to last at least as long as the piece of all-thread that
the original was made of - it lasted 38 years ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

....So I used up my last piece of 1.25" 4140 to machine a new bolt ...

======================================

Tractor Supply sells large Grade 5 bolts that can be turned down and
rethreaded into custom hardware.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 10:21:01 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

...So I used up my last piece of 1.25" 4140 to machine a new bolt ...

======================================

Tractor Supply sells large Grade 5 bolts that can be turned down and
rethreaded into custom hardware.

We have several TSC stores, and a fairly new Rural King store. It is larger than any of the TSC stores, and it's always busy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/4/2020 9:20 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs"Â* wrote in message ...

...So I used up my last piece of 1.25" 4140 to machine a new bolt ...

======================================

Tractor Supply sells large Grade 5 bolts that can be turned down and
rethreaded into custom hardware.

But there's not a TS within a hundred miles ... and I've had that piece
of 4140 for at least a couple or 5 years . It turned out well and I'm
not sorry I used it .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

On 4/4/2020 9:20 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

...So I used up my last piece of 1.25" 4140 to machine a new bolt ...

======================================

Tractor Supply sells large Grade 5 bolts that can be turned down and
rethreaded into custom hardware.

But there's not a TS within a hundred miles ... and I've had that piece
of 4140 for at least a couple or 5 years . It turned out well and I'm
not sorry I used it .
Snag

=================================
For the next job, since that was your last piece.

Another possible source:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...t-steel-73854/

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/4/2020 4:58 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Terry Coombs"Â* wrote in message ...

On 4/4/2020 9:20 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs"Â* wrote in message ...

...So I used up my last piece of 1.25" 4140 to machine a new bolt ...

======================================

Tractor Supply sells large Grade 5 bolts that can be turned down and
rethreaded into custom hardware.

But there's not a TS within a hundred miles ... and I've had that piece
of 4140 for at least a couple or 5 years . It turned out well and I'm
not sorry I used it .
Â*Snag

=================================
For the next job, since that was your last piece.

Another possible source:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ft-steel-73854

Â* Oh I still have lots of other stock , including an axle from a Jeep ,
one from my JD yard tractor , several feet of 2.375 -Â* 3" round stock
that is probably 4130/4140 (sparks and machines identically , and my
neighbor has made some into really nice knives ) plus a couple of OCS's
, assorted and sundry square tube , angle , some plate and lots of small
pieces . That piece just happened to be the right size .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

On 4/4/2020 4:58 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

On 4/4/2020 9:20 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

...So I used up my last piece of 1.25" 4140 to machine a new bolt ...

======================================

Tractor Supply sells large Grade 5 bolts that can be turned down and
rethreaded into custom hardware.

But there's not a TS within a hundred miles ... and I've had that piece
of 4140 for at least a couple or 5 years . It turned out well and I'm
not sorry I used it .
Snag

=================================
For the next job, since that was your last piece.

Another possible source:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ft-steel-73854

Oh I still have lots of other stock , including an axle from a Jeep ,
one from my JD yard tractor , several feet of 2.375 - 3" round stock
that is probably 4130/4140 (sparks and machines identically , and my
neighbor has made some into really nice knives ) plus a couple of OCS's
, assorted and sundry square tube , angle , some plate and lots of small
pieces . That piece just happened to be the right size .
Snag
==================
I've read that thin sections of 4130 can be hardened by simply heating them
red with a torch and letting them cool. Have you ever tried that?
I have some rusty (no markings) flat stock that behaves that way.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 2:10:31 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/4/2020 9:20 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs"Â* wrote in message ....

...So I used up my last piece of 1.25" 4140 to machine a new bolt ...

======================================

Tractor Supply sells large Grade 5 bolts that can be turned down and
rethreaded into custom hardware.

But there's not a TS within a hundred miles ... and I've had that piece
of 4140 for at least a couple or 5 years . It turned out well and I'm
not sorry I used it .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

The nearest TSC to me is almost a hundred miles. It was like that for a long time with Harbor Freight - I'd read about people going there and the closest I could get was the web site. Now there are three almost equally local HF stores (nearest is maybe 5 miles). I'm hoping the same will happen with TSC.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message

The nearest TSC to me is almost a hundred miles. It was like that for a long
time with Harbor Freight - I'd read about people going there and the closest
I could get was the web site. Now there are three almost equally local HF
stores (nearest is maybe 5 miles). I'm hoping the same will happen with TSC.

My best sources for closeouts, second hand tooling and hobby-grade
imitations of industrial gear aren't the big chains, but single
locally-owned stores typically in low-rent old buildings on the edge of
town, who don't advertise and have to be found by word of mouth. I only use
TSC and Northern for stuff I can't find elsewhere for less.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, April 12, 2020 at 7:15:32 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"rangerssuck" wrote in message

The nearest TSC to me is almost a hundred miles. It was like that for a long
time with Harbor Freight - I'd read about people going there and the closest
I could get was the web site. Now there are three almost equally local HF
stores (nearest is maybe 5 miles). I'm hoping the same will happen with TSC.

My best sources for closeouts, second hand tooling and hobby-grade
imitations of industrial gear aren't the big chains, but single
locally-owned stores typically in low-rent old buildings on the edge of
town, who don't advertise and have to be found by word of mouth. I only use
TSC and Northern for stuff I can't find elsewhere for less.

Agreed - I used to have Dave Sobel just about five miles up the road, but he's gone and I haven't found a replacement. Those single-owner places are great, but finding out about them is a whole other story.

In my work doing industrial control retrofits (working on two large (100 cubic foot) blenders for a pharmaceutical plant now), and it would be nice to have a local supplier of "stuff" rather than having to buy from the likes of Automation Direct, Grainger and Amazon.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message

On Sunday, April 12, 2020 at 7:15:32 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Agreed - I used to have Dave Sobel just about five miles up the road, but
he's gone and I haven't found a replacement. Those single-owner places are
great, but finding out about them is a whole other story.

In my work doing industrial control retrofits (working on two large (100
cubic foot) blenders for a pharmaceutical plant now), and it would be nice
to have a local supplier of "stuff" rather than having to buy from the likes
of Automation Direct, Grainger and Amazon.

Have you had quality issues with the wannabe-industrial controls from
Amazon? I don't want my solar installation to catch fire, but their prices
are lower now than Square D was back in the 1970's, and I won't be washing
them down or hitting them with a forklift.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 7:58:52 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I haven't, but mostly I don't buy controllers, per se, but rather components to build my own. but I do use things like little dc-dc converter modules. I also buy things like solenoid air valves, pressure switches, regulators, prox switches & such. No major problems so far.