Metalworking (rec.crafts.metalworking) Discuss various aspects of working with metal, such as machining, welding, metal joining, screwing, casting, hardening/tempering, blacksmithing/forging, spinning and hammer work, sheet metal work.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old February 27th 20, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,972
Default learning CNC


Looking for recommendations on learning about CNC machines.

Back ground:

I have met a machinist that has quit his day job to open a machine shop here in Delaware. And he is having a struggle. He is okay as a machinist, but not so great as a business man. He has a Bridgeport and a Star milling machine, a gap bed lathe ( I forget the manufacturer but it is about a 15 by 60 size ) a surface grinder, horizontal band saw and a Okuma LB-15 CNC lathe.

The Okuma is why I am posting. It has a intermittent problem which we isolated to a servo amp. But we have very little in the way of documentation.. No schematic or even something that would indicate what the dip switches or status leds mean. Servo Amp boards are about $1000 on Ebay. And he is going to buy one.

But I think he should be thinking of retrofitting new electronics. But he is woefully shy as far as electronics. And I don't know enough to be comfortable doing a retrofit , at least on the Okuma.

So I am looking for advice on learning enough about cnc to be able to do a retrofit. There is a little Logan lathe at the shop that is unused that I could
convert to CNC if that is a good way to learn.

And would love to get a good book on CNC, but so far I have not found that.

Dan




  #2   Report Post  
Old February 27th 20, 06:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,638
Default learning CNC

On 2/27/2020 8:07 AM, wrote:

Looking for recommendations on learning about CNC machines.

Back ground:

I have met a machinist that has quit his day job to open a machine shop here in Delaware. And he is having a struggle. He is okay as a machinist, but not so great as a business man. He has a Bridgeport and a Star milling machine, a gap bed lathe ( I forget the manufacturer but it is about a 15 by 60 size ) a surface grinder, horizontal band saw and a Okuma LB-15 CNC lathe.

The Okuma is why I am posting. It has a intermittent problem which we isolated to a servo amp. But we have very little in the way of documentation. No schematic or even something that would indicate what the dip switches or status leds mean. Servo Amp boards are about $1000 on Ebay. And he is going to buy one.

But I think he should be thinking of retrofitting new electronics. But he is woefully shy as far as electronics. And I don't know enough to be comfortable doing a retrofit , at least on the Okuma.

So I am looking for advice on learning enough about cnc to be able to do a retrofit. There is a little Logan lathe at the shop that is unused that I could
convert to CNC if that is a good way to learn.

And would love to get a good book on CNC, but so far I have not found that.

Dan


I don't really know what the bst way to learn that would be. I learned
to do retrofits and repair machines being doing retrofits and repairing
machines. During most of that time I was working full time as a
licensed contractor, so the years I spent learning were recreational.
Not profit critical.

I would suggest if you want to do a retrofit you contact somebody like
Centroid who has retrofit packages pre-configured for various machines.
Lloyd Sponenburgh (former RCM regular) retrofit is old series one
Heidenhain Bridgeport over to a more modern Centrod control and was
cutting parts in just a couple days with such a kit.

Even if Centroid does not have a comprehensive retrofit package for that
lathe they may know who does, or they may be able to put one together
for you.
  #3   Report Post  
Old February 28th 20, 02:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,972
Default learning CNC

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 1:25:06 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 2/27/2020 8:07 AM, wrote:

Looking for recommendations on learning about CNC machines.

Back ground:

I have met a machinist that has quit his day job to open a machine shop here in Delaware. And he is having a struggle. He is okay as a machinist, but not so great as a business man. He has a Bridgeport and a Star milling machine, a gap bed lathe ( I forget the manufacturer but it is about a 15 by 60 size ) a surface grinder, horizontal band saw and a Okuma LB-15 CNC lathe.

The Okuma is why I am posting. It has a intermittent problem which we isolated to a servo amp. But we have very little in the way of documentation. No schematic or even something that would indicate what the dip switches or status leds mean. Servo Amp boards are about $1000 on Ebay. And he is going to buy one.

But I think he should be thinking of retrofitting new electronics. But he is woefully shy as far as electronics. And I don't know enough to be comfortable doing a retrofit , at least on the Okuma.

So I am looking for advice on learning enough about cnc to be able to do a retrofit. There is a little Logan lathe at the shop that is unused that I could
convert to CNC if that is a good way to learn.

And would love to get a good book on CNC, but so far I have not found that.

Dan


I don't really know what the bst way to learn that would be. I learned
to do retrofits and repair machines being doing retrofits and repairing
machines. During most of that time I was working full time as a
licensed contractor, so the years I spent learning were recreational.
Not profit critical.

I would suggest if you want to do a retrofit you contact somebody like
Centroid who has retrofit packages pre-configured for various machines.
Lloyd Sponenburgh (former RCM regular) retrofit is old series one
Heidenhain Bridgeport over to a more modern Centrod control and was
cutting parts in just a couple days with such a kit.

Even if Centroid does not have a comprehensive retrofit package for that
lathe they may know who does, or they may be able to put one together
for you.


Thanks. That is exactly the sort of knowledge I need. Information about who has what, or at least who might have what I need.

Dan
  #4   Report Post  
Old February 28th 20, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,368
Default learning CNC

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 18:05:31 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 1:25:06 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 2/27/2020 8:07 AM, wrote:

Looking for recommendations on learning about CNC machines.

Back ground:

I have met a machinist that has quit his day job to open a machine shop here in Delaware. And he is having a struggle. He is okay as a machinist, but not so great as a business man. He has a Bridgeport and a Star milling machine, a gap bed lathe ( I forget the manufacturer but it is about a 15 by 60 size ) a surface grinder, horizontal band saw and a Okuma LB-15 CNC lathe.

The Okuma is why I am posting. It has a intermittent problem which we isolated to a servo amp. But we have very little in the way of documentation. No schematic or even something that would indicate what the dip switches or status leds mean. Servo Amp boards are about $1000 on Ebay. And he is going to buy one.

But I think he should be thinking of retrofitting new electronics. But he is woefully shy as far as electronics. And I don't know enough to be comfortable doing a retrofit , at least on the Okuma.

So I am looking for advice on learning enough about cnc to be able to do a retrofit. There is a little Logan lathe at the shop that is unused that I could
convert to CNC if that is a good way to learn.

And would love to get a good book on CNC, but so far I have not found that.

Dan


I don't really know what the bst way to learn that would be. I learned
to do retrofits and repair machines being doing retrofits and repairing
machines. During most of that time I was working full time as a
licensed contractor, so the years I spent learning were recreational.
Not profit critical.

I would suggest if you want to do a retrofit you contact somebody like
Centroid who has retrofit packages pre-configured for various machines.
Lloyd Sponenburgh (former RCM regular) retrofit is old series one
Heidenhain Bridgeport over to a more modern Centrod control and was
cutting parts in just a couple days with such a kit.

Even if Centroid does not have a comprehensive retrofit package for that
lathe they may know who does, or they may be able to put one together
for you.


Thanks. That is exactly the sort of knowledge I need. Information about who has what, or at least who might have what I need.

Dan

Depending on the age of the machine...it may be cheaper to scrap it
and buy another one. Seriously. What these guys need to do is call
around and find an independent who is familiar with his
control/electronics. Okuma guys are out there..shrug. Some places they
are rare..others..depending on how many Okumas were sold in the area
over the past 30 yrs..tech's may be all over the place.

As for him being a business man...its damned rare that a machinist is
a good book keeper. Seriously. I've seen more shops go tits up because
the guy tried to be both..and while he was a good machinist..couldn't
keep the paperwork worth a ****. There are people out there, often
women, who work part time at several machine shops doing the books.
Its a win win for everybody. She doesn't cost much..and the machinist
can do a good job doing what he knows. There are some truisms about
this... " A machinist who keeps his own books is soon unemployed"

Shrug..

Centroid controls are quite good. Pricey..but good. I own one. I've
not brought it home yet..Lagun BP copy with a Centroid control on it.
Lost all the parameters. I've got em..I just need to power up the
control and reimput them. Time..I've got everything but time.

Gunner
__

"Journalists are extremely rare and shouldn’t be harmed, but propagandists are everywhere and should be hunted for sport"

Yeah..with no bag limit.





Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CNC The Learning Curve Bob La Londe Metalworking 10 November 15th 08 04:50 PM
Learning CNC Routing Nickie Name Woodworking 2 June 1st 05 04:15 AM
Learning to Use a Tenon Jig Glen Duff Woodworking 21 January 2nd 05 08:37 AM
Learning how to repair a Monitor Joseph J. Electronics Repair 2 September 29th 03 03:17 AM
Need advice on Electronics Distance Learning Commander Dave Electronics Repair 6 August 24th 03 06:57 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2020 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017