Old February 7th 20, 01:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 0.475" ROD

On 06/02/2020 12:18, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
... ...What would be the standard size of 0.475" stainless rod have
been from? Is it just 0.475" rod? What was it from originally?

A piece of 1/2" brass rod I added to an Amazon order to meet the $25
free shipping minimum measures 0.490".

Several batches of electronic components from them were out-of-spec
rejects, though still usable. For example "75V" gas discharge voltage
limiters conducted at either under 70V or over 80V.

Jim,

I've seen that in the UK with regards to sheet metal thickness from my
local suppliers over the last decade or so. In the past when I wanted 16
swg (0.065" 1.6mm) sheet it was bang on within like 0.001", then they
metricated it to 1.5mm and it was good for awhile but subsequently I've
seen nominally 1.5mm sheet at 1.3mm which was unacceptable for some
jobs. I guess the mills are trying to squeeze a few more sheets out to
increase profitability. I've not seen bar stock like that but it isn't
oversized in my experience.

Old February 7th 20, 05:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Billington" wrote in message
[...]

I keep 4" dial calipers in the car to measure stock when I go
shopping, or happen onto a useful piece. They are short enough to stay
in a shirt pocket, much less likely than 6" ones to catch on a rack
or machine I'm squeezing past and flip onto the floor.

They also fit under the head of the mill better to measure height.

Sometimes at an industrial supply store the reaction to the calipers
is "Oh, you're an engineer", in a tone that suggests they expect I'll
be demanding and difficult. When I reassure them that I'm a tech who
has to build what the engineers dream up, and this is for a home
project, they may offer some leftover that can be made to do the job
at half price.