DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT- UV cured adhesives- user experience around home? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/642396-ot-uv-cured-adhesives-user-experience-around-home.html)

patrick December 2nd 19 03:33 PM

OT- UV cured adhesives- user experience around home?

Anyone have any experience using UV cured adhesives on things that need mending around the home? Seems to be that the stuff was first used for bonding glass but I do wonder if UV can penetrate far enough into an opaqued joint to be useful. TIA, Pat

Bob La Londe[_7_] December 2nd 19 04:51 PM

OT- UV cured adhesives- user experience around home?

On 12/2/2019 8:33 AM, patrick wrote: Anyone have any experience using
UV cured adhesives on things that need mending around the home? Seems to
be that the stuff was first used for bonding glass but I do wonder if
UV can penetrate far enough into an opaqued joint to be useful. TIA, Pat

I was not aware of UV cured adhesives, but in tackle making UV cured
clear coats are popular with some builders.

Clare Snyder December 2nd 19 05:17 PM

OT- UV cured adhesives- user experience around home?

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 09:51:43 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 12/2/2019 8:33 AM, patrick wrote: Anyone have any experience using
UV cured adhesives on things that need mending around the home? Seems to
be that the stuff was first used for bonding glass but I do wonder if
UV can penetrate far enough into an opaqued joint to be useful. TIA, Pat

I was not aware of UV cured adhesives, but in tackle making UV cured
clear coats are popular with some builders.

I have used some UV-Cure adhesives and it SEEMS to be the UV starts
the cure and after it is "kicked off" the cure continues VERY slowly
into the joint.
The stuff I have is from Kafuter and I'm not TERRIBLY impressed with
it.
In documentation it says it is for gluing glass and acrylic to glass,
acrylic, metals.

I would NOT recommend it for attaching 2 opaque materials together