Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3 Flute Split Point - More Deep Drilling

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 14:25:10 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

More on long reach deep(ish) drilling.

My stock for the 50 link pieces arrives today, so I figured I better
review what I have on hand. As I was reviewing the various tools I have
on hand or have picked up for this I noted that the gun drill is indeed
the type intended to be used with high pressure through oil. It will go
in one of the specialty tools drawers, but will probably not be used for
this project. I don't have the time to setup a high pressure system for
it right now.

The carbide drills I picked up surprised me though. They were not
expensive. No more than any other similar size carbide drill. They are
three flute split point. I don't remember that when I ordered them, but
I'll certainly give them a try. If there is a web its so small I can't
see it with just my glasses on. I may look at them under the magnifier
later. I am certainly looking forward to seeing how they perform in the
test cuts. Probably try just spot drilling and drilling first to see
how it comes out. I'll be making a holding fixture so I can position
them consistently.

As a side note: I have another deep drilling job for a different
application. 1/16 all the way through a piece 1.8125 inches thick.
These do not have to be particularly straight, but they are relatively
close together and they can't collide with each other. Most 1/16 drills
are to short to do the job, but I figured I'ld find some long enough if
I looked. My plan is to drill a starter hole with a .0625 carbide stub
drill. I have them on hand. As mentioned before I buy them from Precise
Bits. Usually 4-10 at a time. Then drill with a longer jobber drill.
The problem was I wasn't finding any long enough to do the job. When I
searched for long 1/16 bits I came up with 6" aircraft bits. Found MSC
stocked Hertel aircraft bits. I have one Hertel drill index and have
found them to be decent, but there was no way I wanted to have to push 6
inches of a 1/16 bit though the air. I started looking closer, and its
Cobalt, only has a 7/8 flute, and its split point for under $5. I
bought a couple of them. I can just cut it off to the length necessary
to do the job. The part is literally a piece of aluminum flat bar with
a bunch of holes drilled through it edge wise. If it doesn't work or I
break bits the cost won't be very high to try again. This is a one off
part and if it takes me a couple tries I'll still make a dollar. Maybe
two.

As a side note..a client has rigged up a power steering pump from a
truck as a hydraulic pump for deep hole drilling. No idea what PSI he
is putting out..but he is going 18ish inches deep and the flow is
cleaning the hell well enough. 5/16" diameter drill..hollow shank, D
type bit.

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.