Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Moving a lathe with feet?

I've seen a number of lathes being moved in various videos on
Youtube, but most of these have a base that can be rolled on
pipes. I need to move a lathe with feet. It has four feet and
each foot is about 4" x 4" on a 22" x 64" pattern. What is the
best approach? Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 09:51:40 -0700 (PDT)
Davej wrote:

I've seen a number of lathes being moved in various videos on
Youtube, but most of these have a base that can be rolled on
pipes. I need to move a lathe with feet. It has four feet and
each foot is about 4" x 4" on a 22" x 64" pattern. What is the
best approach? Thanks.

How heavy is the machine?
How far you going?
What kind of floor do you have?
What condition is the floor???

If you have a smooth cement floor take a look at moving skates. Like
this search:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...eywords=moving skates

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Davej" wrote in message
I've seen a number of lathes being moved in various videos on
Youtube, but most of these have a base that can be rolled on
pipes. I need to move a lathe with feet. It has four feet and
each foot is about 4" x 4" on a 22" x 64" pattern. What is the
best approach? Thanks.

I've moved heavy loads with four trailer tongue jacks bolted to a
temporary frame of 2" wooden planks. Their price is comparable to
regular swivel casters of similar load capacity and you don't need
anything else to raise or lower the load.

If you replace their axles with longer bolts you can attach forked
handles to steer and pull them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Davej wrote:

I've seen a number of lathes being moved in various videos on
Youtube, but most of these have a base that can be rolled on
pipes. I need to move a lathe with feet. It has four feet and
each foot is about 4" x 4" on a 22" x 64" pattern. What is the
best approach? Thanks.

How heavy is the machine?
How far you going?
What kind of floor do you have?
What condition is the floor???

If you have a smooth cement floor take a look at moving skates. Like
this search:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...eywords=moving
skates
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

They are also called mice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 12:16:43 PM UTC-5, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 09:51:40 -0700 (PDT) Davej wrote:

I've seen a number of lathes being moved in various videos on
Youtube, but most of these have a base that can be rolled on
pipes. I need to move a lathe with feet. It has four feet and
each foot is about 4" x 4" on a 22" x 64" pattern. What is the
best approach? Thanks.

How heavy is the machine?
How far you going?
What kind of floor do you have?
What condition is the floor???

If you have a smooth cement floor take a look at moving skates. Like
this search:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...eywords=moving skates

Thanks, I like that idea!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/31/2019 9:51 AM, Davej wrote:
I've seen a number of lathes being moved in various videos on
Youtube, but most of these have a base that can be rolled on
pipes. I need to move a lathe with feet. It has four feet and
each foot is about 4" x 4" on a 22" x 64" pattern. What is the
best approach? Thanks.

Depends on the lathe. I moved my 2000lb 14x40 by lifting it up one end
at a time with a straight pick through the lifting holes and a pair of
farm jacks, then set it down on modestly heavy furniture dollies. By
sweeping up the smooth concrete floor thoroughly two of us easily moved
it to its new locations (twice). One time I left it on the dollies for
two months while I built a machine room in my shop. Dollie wheels
developed small flat spots, but after we got it moving it positioned
easily. Then after it was in position we set it down the same way. One
end at a time. We got it within a couple inches, and were easily able
to use the straight pick to shift it into its exact position.

I don't think I would move anything heavier that way though. The
dollies handled it just fine, but I really think it was the limits of
the casters. I also wouldn't do it by myself for fear of overpowering
it and knocking it over. With two people it was pretty easy.
I did move the saddle and the tail stock all the way to the end opposite
of the head to try and limit the chance of tipping over end wise on the
head, and lifted the head end first. Setting down we lowered the tail
stock end first for the same reason.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/31/2019 10:43 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Davej" wrote in message
I've seen a number of lathes being moved in various videos on
Youtube, but most of these have a base that can be rolled on
pipes. I need to move a lathe with feet. It has four feet and
each foot is about 4" x 4" on a 22" x 64" pattern. What is the
best approach? Thanks.

I've moved heavy loads with four trailer tongue jacks bolted to a
temporary frame of 2" wooden planks. Their price is comparable to
regular swivel casters of similar load capacity and you don't need
anything else to raise or lower the load.

If you replace their axles with longer bolts you can attach forked
handles to steer and pull them.

I LIKE THAT.

Saw a big CNC router table with trailer jacks permanently mounted once.
Of course it was a lot lighter machine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Davej wrote:

I've seen a number of lathes being moved in various videos on
Youtube, but most of these have a base that can be rolled on
pipes. I need to move a lathe with feet. It has four feet and
each foot is about 4" x 4" on a 22" x 64" pattern. What is the
best approach? Thanks.

How heavy is the machine?
How far you going?
What kind of floor do you have?
What condition is the floor???

If you have a smooth cement floor take a look at moving skates. Like
this search:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...eywords=moving skates

Just be careful with moving skates as they can shift. I know a guy that
was recently moving his Harrison M300 on skates with a mate and the mate
hadn't noticed a skate had shifted and when they went to move the lathe
it fell on it front writing off most of the lathe. He's selling the
salvageable parts on ebay at the moment. I know a M300 can be moved on
rollers as I have one. What is the lathe you want to move.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 9:51:44 AM UTC-7, Davej wrote:
I've seen a number of lathes being moved in various videos on
Youtube, but most of these have a base that can be rolled on
pipes.

An appropriate set of shoes for the feet can be found:

https://www.aerogo.com/weight/5000-20000-lbs/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I've seen a number of lathes being moved in various videos on
Youtube, but most of these have a base that can be rolled on
pipes. I need to move a lathe with feet. It has four feet and
each foot is about 4" x 4" on a 22" x 64" pattern. What is the
best approach? Thanks.

Jack it up and put it on a 24X66 platform, then roll it on
pipes????????

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Davej wrote:

I've seen a number of lathes being moved in various videos on
Youtube, but most of these have a base that can be rolled on
pipes. I need to move a lathe with feet. It has four feet and
each foot is about 4" x 4" on a 22" x 64" pattern. What is the
best approach? Thanks.

How heavy is the machine?
How far you going?
What kind of floor do you have?
What condition is the floor???

If you have a smooth cement floor take a look at moving skates. Like
this search:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...eywords=moving skates

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

I dare say no one has a cement floor. Concrete, of course...Cement, highly unlikely. If so, it will probably not support much of a load, rolling or otherwise...sorry, couldn't resist...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 12:16:43 PM UTC-5, Leon Fisk wrote:

How heavy is the machine?

Honestly I don't know. Hendey 16x6 gearhead. Roughly 85in long overall.

How far you going?

Perhaps 150ft and on and off a drop-bed trailer.

What kind of floor do you have?
What condition is the floor???

Fairly nice concrete.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Davej" wrote in message
On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 12:16:43 PM UTC-5, Leon Fisk wrote:

How heavy is the machine?

Honestly I don't know. Hendey 16x6 gearhead. Roughly 85in long
overall.

How far you going?

Perhaps 150ft and on and off a drop-bed trailer.

What kind of floor do you have?
What condition is the floor???

Fairly nice concrete.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-lathe-300942/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On my LeBlonde 13" I simply raised it up (prybar) and fastened it to 2x6 "skis". Then the 2" pvc plastic pipe rollers. For safety reasons I always work alone. Slo..ooow but safer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Davej wrote:
I've seen a number of lathes being moved in various videos on
Youtube, but most of these have a base that can be rolled on
pipes. I need to move a lathe with feet. It has four feet and
each foot is about 4" x 4" on a 22" x 64" pattern. What is the
best approach? Thanks.

Give it some shoes and tell it to walk?

Sorry, couldn't resist 8-)

bob prohaska

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 17:54:44 -0700 (PDT), Davej
wrote:

On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 12:16:43 PM UTC-5, Leon Fisk wrote:

How heavy is the machine?

Honestly I don't know. Hendey 16x6 gearhead. Roughly 85in long overall.

How far you going?

Perhaps 150ft and on and off a drop-bed trailer.

SMART transportation choice, Dave. Drop-beds are the =only= way to
move the heavies. 4 or 6 skates should get you there. Find some
cheap bearings and build your own skates, if you're frugal like many
of us are.

--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 13:43:55 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Davej" wrote in message
I've seen a number of lathes being moved in various videos on
Youtube, but most of these have a base that can be rolled on
pipes. I need to move a lathe with feet. It has four feet and
each foot is about 4" x 4" on a 22" x 64" pattern. What is the
best approach? Thanks.

I've moved heavy loads with four trailer tongue jacks bolted to a
temporary frame of 2" wooden planks. Their price is comparable to
regular swivel casters of similar load capacity and you don't need
anything else to raise or lower the load.

If you replace their axles with longer bolts you can attach forked
handles to steer and pull them.

Has anyone ever used on-bed camper jacks with casters to move a piece
of machinery? Sounds like it might be easier than tongue jacks, which
already sound like a pretty nifty use of them.

--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 13:43:55 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Has anyone ever used on-bed camper jacks with casters to move a
piece
of machinery? Sounds like it might be easier than tongue jacks,
which
already sound like a pretty nifty use of them.

Do you mean scissor jacks?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 06:48:01 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 13:43:55 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Has anyone ever used on-bed camper jacks with casters to move a
piece
of machinery? Sounds like it might be easier than tongue jacks,
which
already sound like a pretty nifty use of them.

Do you mean scissor jacks?

No, the tall hydraulic or screw types which attach next to the 4
corners of the main box outside the truck bed.
https://tinyurl.com/yym2buxj