Old October 7th 19, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fast, Inexpensive, Strong Drawers

On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 10:29:41 AM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 10/4/2019 1:24 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
This might be metalworking or wood working.* I'm seriously thinking
about removing the work benches from along the back wall in my shop and
replacing them with a single continuous monolithic steel plate top work
bench.* Beveled, welded, and ground flat at each joint.* Apx 54' long.
Ok, that part is definitely metalworking.

Here is the part I am undecided about.* I want drawers from the bench
top to about 3 inches above the floor from end to end.* No. not a 54'
long drawer.* LOL.* Banks of drawers, to eliminate all my roll away tool
boxes and sort a lot of tools with their related parts.* ie: Snap rings
with snap ring tools, etc...

Appearance is a non issue for me.* Strength and speed of assembly
probably rank 1 & 2 for importance with cost coming in at number three.
Not all drawers would need to be super strong of course, but I would
like to make them all the same.* Right now I am thinking about wood
drawers or folded/welded sheet metal drawers.* I have a decent finger
brake and various metal cutting processes in my shop.* I also have all
the wood working tools I could need for making wood drawers.* No matter
which way I go I'd want to make them all the same way.

I looked at roll away bottom cabinets as an option under the bench, but
they are either way to light duty, don't have drawer configurations that
I like, or way to expensive.

Many of the answers are certainly fast and cheap. Some may be fast,
cheap, and strong, but they won't be made hte same. Of the specs fast,
cheap, and strong cheap was 3rd in level of importance. Also I
indicated that I wanted them to all be made the same (look the same). I
guess appearance is slightly more important than I made out to begin
with. There are certainly a few ideas worthy of consideration. Thanks
everybody.

I wonder whether the tool cabinet bases from HF are any good. I am going to be faced with downsizing my shop in the next couple of years, and will be up against the same questions (though on a smaller scale).

Old October 7th 19, 10:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/7/2019 11:48 AM, rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

I have three General tool carts from HF, and they are decent. Not
proper tool boxes, but drawer carts with a shelf on the bottom for
bigger things. I have heard good things about the Harbor Freight
General regular tool boxes as well, but they are not cheap any longer
and they are on the list of things that the discount coupons don't apply
to.

Interestingly when I bought my pallet jack the cashier said the coupon
wouldn't apply, but I asked her to try it anyway. The coupon code
worked. Its not a great pallet jack, but then I don't use it very
often. It spends 99.999% of its time parked under a mill stand.

I have heard that sometimes those items on the no discounts lists (floor
jacks, tool boxes, Predator engines, etc) sometimes have coupons for
those people who are paid HF club members.

Old October 8th 19, 01:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 14:33:49 -0700
Bob La Londe wrote:

snip
Interestingly when I bought my pallet jack the cashier said the coupon
wouldn't apply, but I asked her to try it anyway. The coupon code
worked. Its not a great pallet jack, but then I don't use it very
often. It spends 99.999% of its time parked under a mill stand.

I have heard that sometimes those items on the no discounts lists (floor
jacks, tool boxes, Predator engines, etc) sometimes have coupons for
those people who are paid HF club members.

There is a running thread here on HF Tools, coupons and discounts:

https://slickdeals.net/f/1276399-har...hread?page=819

Also this link, which is also listed on the aforementioned page:

http://www.hfqpdb.com/harborfreightcoupons

Good places to check for coupons when you need them. They sometimes make
a coupon for all jacks and/or certain jacks available.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Old October 9th 19, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 1:48:34 PM UTC-5, rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

I have never owned a SnapOn but I have a 42x18 HF and it seems fine, all the ball bearings work. Just not very sexy.
Old October 17th 19, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

True indeed. I hemmed and hawed about becoming a club member..and
after I did earlier this year..its saved me far more money than the
membership fees did.

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.