Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Home forklift?

I've been pondering scissor-lift tables and similar stuff for
years. The problem with most of them is that either their
minimum-height is still many inches, or their capacity is only
a few hundred to a thousand pounds. Lately I've been looking
again and I see some more interesting candidates. Does anyone
here own anything like this...?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dazone+2200lbs

Maybe this has been discussed to death here? If so can someone
give me the topic to search for? Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Davej" wrote in message
I've been pondering scissor-lift tables and similar stuff for
years. The problem with most of them is that either their
minimum-height is still many inches, or their capacity is only
a few hundred to a thousand pounds. Lately I've been looking
again and I see some more interesting candidates. Does anyone
here own anything like this...?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dazone+2200lbs

Maybe this has been discussed to death here? If so can someone
give me the topic to search for? Thanks.

What do you need to lift?

I have a platform stacker that's good for working on snow throwers etc
and as a welding positioner, and a 2000# engine hoist with a wider,
more stable base to lift my small tractor or its engine and raise
heavy beams. I hardly ever use my hydraulic scissors lift because the
load or weldment can be better secured to the uprights of the platform
stacker.

My neighbor has a motorcycle lift for his Harleys that's probably more
practical to use than my stuff, except that he doesn't weld much. It
also permanently occupies garage floor space while I put larger wheels
on mine to roll on dirt and can put them away.

Unless I'm only working on the carburetor (which is most of the time)
I don't lift any higher than necessary so that wrench torque won't tip
it over. The wheeled lifts aren't as stable on dirt as on pavement.

The solution to raising a heavy load to platform height is a Johnson
bar.
https://www.shopjfi.com/5-ton-johnson-bar.html

You jack the load off the floor with it and a helper kicks blocks or
pipe rollers underneath. Two of them can roll a 5000 Lb machine from
the loading dock onto a flatbed. BTDT.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 9:38:55 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Davej" wrote in message
[...]

[...]
The solution to raising a heavy load to platform height is a Johnson
bar. https://www.shopjfi.com/5-ton-johnson-bar.html

I guess that is the question: How much weight? I guess like to be able
to handle anything a pallet jack can handle, so maybe 5000lbs. Maybe
the cheap and simple answer is a pallet jack, a good lever bar, and a
whole stack of 2x6 lumber.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Davej" wrote in message
I guess that is the question: How much weight? I guess like to be
able
to handle anything a pallet jack can handle, so maybe 5000lbs. Maybe
the cheap and simple answer is a pallet jack, a good lever bar, and
whole stack of 2x6 lumber.

2" planks get knocked out of place too easily when you add more on
top, and can be difficult to realign without risking a hand under the
load. My cribbing collection for jacking up small buildings is mainly
4x6 and 6x6 deck post cutoffs from a contractor's junk pile and the
lower quality 6x6 cants from my sawmill. An oak 6" x 6" x 8' is the
heaviest I want to handle by myself.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 09:52:39 -0700 (PDT)
Davej wrote:

On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 9:38:55 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Davej" wrote in message

[...]

What do you need to lift?

I have a platform stacker that's good for working on snow throwers etc
and as a welding positioner, and a 2000# engine hoist with a wider,
more stable base to lift my small tractor or its engine and raise
heavy beams. I hardly ever use my hydraulic scissors lift because the
load or weldment can be better secured to the uprights of the platform
stacker.
[...]
The solution to raising a heavy load to platform height is a Johnson
bar. https://www.shopjfi.com/5-ton-johnson-bar.html

I guess that is the question: How much weight? I guess like to be able
to handle anything a pallet jack can handle, so maybe 5000lbs. Maybe
the cheap and simple answer is a pallet jack, a good lever bar, and a
whole stack of 2x6 lumber.

Make sure you consider the wheels. Those were pretty tiny (diameter) on
the scissor unit you linked to. It wouldn't take much of a crack in the
floor to hang it up. Even worse if you need to move it with a lot of
weight on board...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Davej wrote:

Make sure you consider the wheels. Those were pretty tiny (diameter)
on
the scissor unit you linked to. It wouldn't take much of a crack in
the
floor to hang it up. Even worse if you need to move it with a lot of
weight on board...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

My 2000# Spreuer shop crane came with hook-end steel rollers similar
to a pallet jack, which were useless off pavement. I added four
surplus 8" x 1-3/4" cast steel wheels that helped a lot, but they
still dig in when towing it with a 1200# load.

The mast end rests on a 3-wheel trailer tongue jack that lifts it to
hitch up to the tractor, then retracts. You can buy spare wheels for
them (or your own project), which is why it has 3 instead of 1.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 7:59:24 AM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
I've been pondering scissor-lift tables and similar stuff for
years. The problem with most of them is that either their
minimum-height is still many inches... [...]

Thought this item was interesting...

https://www.harborfreight.com/high-p...ift-99887.html

....clearly as purchased it lacks wheels, and it only handles 1100 lbs.