Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machine Shop niche areas

I met a guy at the local scrap yard. He was dumping a couple of 55 gal drums of swarf. He invited me to see has shop and I have since visited his shop a number of times. He has had the shop for about 6 months and does not have any specialty. The major machines that he has are a manual lathe, a turning center , and a Bridgeport. And is located in Wilmington , De.

So does anyone have an idea of work he should be trying to cultivate?

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I met a guy at the local scrap yard. He was dumping a couple of 55
gal drums of swarf. He invited me to see has shop and I have since
visited his shop a number of times. He has had the shop for about 6
months and does not have any specialty. The major machines that he
has are a manual lathe, a turning center , and a Bridgeport. And is
located in Wilmington , De.

So does anyone have an idea of work he should be trying to cultivate?

Dan

========================

Since I'm not well equipped to make a run of parts to tight tolerance
I've watched for one-off custom repair or prototype work I could
handle, and not seen much of any sort whether I could or couldn't do
it. The small job shops that used to be plentiful in this area have
faded away.

Last week at the county fair I asked the owners of antique machinery
how they obtained spare parts. They told me that they could buy NOS or
newly made spares and mostly needed broken iron castings repaired or
replaced. Antique car owners gave similar answers.

I practiced digging with a Mahindra tractor and picked up some ideas
to improve my sawmill. Did you know there are sheep and goats with
four horns?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycerate

Dealing with inventors is difficult if they need the parts engineered
first, which is typical of EEs. Almost everything I've made at home
was for my own projects or to show the engineers at work that their
creation could be packaged in something better than a Bud chassis box.

A surprising number of the sellers and crafters I've talked to at
fairs and flea markets formerly worked in high tech.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 12:47:38 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Last Week at the county fair I asked the owners of antique machinery
how they obtained spare parts. They told me that they could buy NOS or
newly made spares and mostly needed broken iron castings repaired or
replaced. Antique car owners gave similar answers.

Which reminds me, the Cat tail foundry is not too far away in PA. So if anyone needs something cast in Cast Iron let me know and I will try to help getting a new casting.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 5:30:43 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 9/30/2019

Â* I don't run my shop as a business , but occasionally I'll get stuff
in from local farmers . Could be anything from cleaning up an area on an
implement (PTO) drive shaft to machining/fabricating and welding in a
new gearbox mount plate on a bush hog . Your guy might want to look into
the local auto and motorcycle/ATV/personal watercraft shops . Somebody's
breakin' stuff that needs fixin' somewhere near him !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

He is planning on contacting all the local micro breweries, but right now is busy with other work like rebuilding some right smart size gear boxes. What I think he needs is a injection molder or two. Something that can be set up and let it run all day. He did have a repair job on a Pizza oven. But he has not been paid for that as of now.

Unfortunately he does not have the luxury of not running it like a business.. He has a wife and two teenage sons. We have a 200 k$ per year goal, but we will not make it this year. I am not involved except for advice and little things like wiring up the cut off saw and the electric hoist.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 7:03:48 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
Get outta my woods !

If you know of any shops that closed up just because the owner died or
retired find out what they were making towards the end. You might find
a niche, and you might find some cool old machines that somebody is
tired of looking at.

Good idea. I will definitely pass that on.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/30/2019 5:19 AM, wrote: I met a guy at the local
scrap yard. He was dumping a couple of 55 gal drums of swarf. He
invited me to see has shop and I have since visited his shop a number of
times. He has had the shop for about 6 months and does not have any
specialty. The major machines that he has are a manual lathe, a turning
center , and a Bridgeport. And is located in Wilmington , De.

So does anyone have an idea of work he should be trying to cultivate?

Dan

I once got a big job (big for me) for a company in the Ukraine because a
big shop thought their job was to small for them and sent it my way.
Can't hurt to be friendly with the competition. To be fair the job was
also better suited to my skills and general type of work than theirs. (I
think.)

Also, don't be afraid to do some design work or help work. I don't like
to sell CAD design work time. I prefer to roll it into the cost of
making custom and one off parts, but I let a fellow talk me into it a
couple years ago. His machinist had all kinds of silly issues with a
couple of my designs. I think he thought I was just a CAD designer with
no shop floor knowledge. I responded to every concern with how to
machine it and efficient options for fast machines vs powerful machines.
In one case I had to say, "Just machine it the way I modeled it. You
will see. If doesn't work send it to me and I will make the piece for
free." That customer now has me working on a big (big for me) order for
his next new invention. All prepaid work with a time estimate, but no
hard deadline. I'm not comfortable selling my CAD time mostly because
there are a lot of tricks I can do in CAM that make the job easier and
faster. Its more work to model it for somebody else. In this case I
wound up getting his machine work too in the end.

Ultimately it comes down to this if your shop is slow take the work you
can get and do the work you can do. Even if its not exactly what you
want to do. But also be honest with people. Even if you eat sandwiches
from the cheese line this week. Most will appreciate it.

A couple years ago I had a fellow want me to "machine" a largish crude
mold. I told him that it was a job for a welding and fabrication shop.
Not a mold and machine shop. He tried to insist, but I said a local
weld and fab shop would do it cheaper, and they wouldn't have to ship it
across the border. I explained how to ask for the job to be done. He
was thrilled and I do all his custom mold work ever since. He usually
even tacks on things to his orders like specialty parts. He even wanted
to buy one of my company hats. (I gave it to him.)

.... and don't be afraid to push your limits. Several times I have had
requests for things I thought were beyond me. Instead of saying, "no" I
say, "I have to think about it for a few days to see if I can figure out
how I would set that up. I might not be able to do it, but I want to
think about it." Sometimes after a few days I decided I'd need
equipment I can't afford right now or even that I just can't figure out
how to do it, but sometimes the answer comes to me, and I add another
skill set or make a new tool.

If you have no work you might have to discount some work, but remember
that most people who get a "deal" will never let you serve them again if
they don't always get a deal. Not everybody, but most. Its the cost of
bringing cash in the door today sometimes.

One more thing. If you have an area of passion besides machining
consider things about that passion that you might make, improve, or
invent. If you have an idle time make those parts and try to retail
them. Facebook and Ebay are hack sales sites, but they get your
products in front of more people. Even if they don't sell somebody
might think to themselves, "Hey, maybe this guy can make MY parts."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 05:19:00 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I met a guy at the local scrap yard. He was dumping a couple of 55 gal drums of swarf. He invited me to see has shop and I have since visited his shop a number of times. He has had the shop for about 6 months and does not have any specialty. The major machines that he has are a manual lathe, a turning center , and a Bridgeport. And is located in Wilmington , De.

So does anyone have an idea of work he should be trying to cultivate?

Dan

what local industry is there locally that doesnt have inhouse
maint/machining?

Im maint manager in a screw machine shop when Im not doing the
Omniturn service thing and I have to keep 15 elderly Acme Gridley
screw machines running, along with surface grinders and 19 Omniturns.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9y4zCipds9Y5WjWn8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pfMWmcWdiWwYZ49L6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/M8hcBMNwxeXzKLM18

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XdasWixuR4dTGrnZ7

If it wasnt for me..they would be sending repair work out 2-4 times a
week. I also do a fair amount of cast iron welding..which most young
snots havent a clue doing. Can your guy weld?

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

He claims that he can weld, but I have not seen any of his work.

Dan

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

they would be turning a profit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 05:19:00 -0700 (PDT), dcaster wrote:

[...]

Another lame forgery.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 08:40:01 -0700 (PDT), Michael Terrell
wrote:

[...]

Well he did crop in his "would be turning a profit" blovation...

Im back again for a week (Grin). With a fair amount of bucks in the
bank too! Made a half dozen service calls...sold a LeBlond Regal for
pocket change (1947..ran well but was tired..I asked and got $800 for
it) and devised a way to stamp a 3 part assembly together with a
Denisen hydraulic pressing press. They cranked out 13,000 parts over
a 3 day period while I worked a few bugs out of it..machined an
adjustable presser..some minor stuff. Now they are making 1.5x the
amount the previous shop was doing, are doing it in 1/2 the time and
the client likes it so well..they got a half million part contract.
Total time for each cycle is 1.75 second.
Everbody happy!!

Gunner
__