Old August 22nd 19, 12:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mystery metal grains? Cobalt?

Found a few lbs of it in an induction furnace that I bought for $30...

Pictu

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...tery-metal.jpg

These are oxidized metal grains. The oxidation color is bluish and
most closely resembles blueberries, though I am somewhat color blind.

Any idea what this metal is? Could it be cobalt?

Old August 22nd 19, 01:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/21/2019 6:53 PM, Ignoramus16448 wrote:
Found a few lbs of it in an induction furnace that I bought for $30...

Pictu

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...tery-metal.jpg

These are oxidized metal grains. The oxidation color is bluish and
most closely resembles blueberries, though I am somewhat color blind.

Any idea what this metal is? Could it be cobalt?

* Oxidized copper looks a lot like that too ... have you tried smashing
one of those chunks with a hammer ?

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old August 22nd 19, 01:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus16448" wrote in
message ...
Found a few lbs of it in an induction furnace that I bought for
$30...

Pictu

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...tery-metal.jpg

These are oxidized metal grains. The oxidation color is bluish and
most closely resembles blueberries, though I am somewhat color
blind.

Any idea what this metal is? Could it be cobalt?

Steel turns blue when heated.
https://www.anvilfire.com/article.ph...s_hardness.htm

http://staff.buffalostate.edu/nazareay/che112/ex9.htm
NH4SCN is ammonium thiocyanate.

A simpler test is to dissolve a little in hydrochloric acid, dry the
solution over heat (acid fumes!), and see if it turns blue. You could
neutralize the acid by adding garden lime or baking soda until it
stops fizzing. I don't know if other metals would interfere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt(II)_chloride

Old August 22nd 19, 02:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2019-08-22, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/21/2019 6:53 PM, Ignoramus16448 wrote:
Found a few lbs of it in an induction furnace that I bought for $30...

Pictu

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...tery-metal.jpg

These are oxidized metal grains. The oxidation color is bluish and
most closely resembles blueberries, though I am somewhat color blind.

Any idea what this metal is? Could it be cobalt?

?? Oxidized copper looks a lot like that too ... have you tried smashing
one of those chunks with a hammer ?

Definitely not copper, when ground down they look dull grey. Not magnetic.
Old August 22nd 19, 03:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2019-08-22, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Ignoramus16448" wrote in
message ...
[...]

That sounds like a plan. The induction furnace is 100 kva by the way

Old August 22nd 19, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus16448" wrote in message

Found a few lbs of it in an induction furnace that I bought for $30...

Pictu

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...tery-metal.jpg

These are oxidized metal grains. The oxidation color is bluish and
most closely resembles blueberries, though I am somewhat color blind.

Any idea what this metal is? Could it be cobalt?

You really need to splurge and treat yourself to one of those handheld x-ray
fluorescence machines. No more guessing on mystery alloys or things like
these beads. You could even do analyses for scrapyards and pay it off even
sooner :-).

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Old August 22nd 19, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 7:53:20 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus16448 wrote:
Found a few lbs of it in an induction furnace that I bought for $30...

Pictu

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...tery-metal.jpg

These are oxidized metal grains. The oxidation color is bluish and
most closely resembles blueberries, though I am somewhat color blind.

Any idea what this metal is? Could it be cobalt?

Koslow Scientific https://www.koslow.com/ has all sorts of metal ID kits. You may want to check them out.

Disclosu I do a lot of electronic design work for them, but don't make any extra money from sales.
Old August 22nd 19, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 18:53:13 -0500, Ignoramus16448 wrote:

Found a few lbs of it in an induction furnace that I bought for $30...

Pictu

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...tery-metal.jpg

These are oxidized metal grains. The oxidation color is bluish and most
closely resembles blueberries, though I am somewhat color blind.

Any idea what this metal is? Could it be cobalt?

Cobalt is ferromagnetic, so unless it is fully oxidized, it would be
magnetic.

Jon
Old August 22nd 19, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2019-08-22, Jon Elson wrote:
On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 18:53:13 -0500, Ignoramus16448 wrote:

Found a few lbs of it in an induction furnace that I bought for $30...

Pictu

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...tery-metal.jpg

These are oxidized metal grains. The oxidation color is bluish and most
closely resembles blueberries, though I am somewhat color blind.

Any idea what this metal is? Could it be cobalt?

Cobalt is ferromagnetic, so unless it is fully oxidized, it would be
magnetic.

Jon

So it is not cobalt... no attraction to magnet...
Old August 22nd 19, 11:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2019-08-22, Jon Elson wrote:
On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 18:53:13 -0500, Ignoramus16448 wrote:

Found a few lbs of it in an induction furnace that I bought for
$30...

Pictu

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...tery-metal.jpg

These are oxidized metal grains. The oxidation color is bluish and
most
closely resembles blueberries, though I am somewhat color blind.

Any idea what this metal is? Could it be cobalt?

Cobalt is ferromagnetic, so unless it is fully oxidized, it would
be
magnetic.

Jon

So it is not cobalt... no attraction to magnet...

Perhaps the light blue color came from oxidized copper plating?
https://www.skylighter.com/products/copper-carbonate