Old August 23rd 19, 04:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mystery metal grains? Cobalt?

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 10:25:47 PM UTC-4, Carl wrote:
"Ignoramus16448" wrote in message

Found a few lbs of it in an induction furnace that I bought for $30...

Pictu

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...tery-metal.jpg

These are oxidized metal grains. The oxidation color is bluish and
most closely resembles blueberries, though I am somewhat color blind.

Any idea what this metal is? Could it be cobalt?

You really need to splurge and treat yourself to one of those handheld x-ray
fluorescence machines. No more guessing on mystery alloys or things like
these beads. You could even do analyses for scrapyards and pay it off even
sooner :-).

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

The hand held xrf machines cost about as much as a economy car. And the local scrap yard has one already. But if you send me one of the buttons I will try talking one of the guys into scanning it.

Dan

Old August 25th 19, 12:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 18:53:13 -0500, Ignoramus16448
wrote:

Found a few lbs of it in an induction furnace that I bought for $30...

Pictu

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...tery-metal.jpg

These are oxidized metal grains. The oxidation color is bluish and
most closely resembles blueberries, though I am somewhat color blind.

Any idea what this metal is? Could it be cobalt?

Palladium beads? They're used in catalytic converters on autos and
withstand high temps.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Old August 25th 19, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2019-08-22, Jon Elson wrote:
On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 18:53:13 -0500, Ignoramus16448 wrote:

Found a few lbs of it in an induction furnace that I bought for
$30...

Pictu

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...tery-metal.jpg

These are oxidized metal grains. The oxidation color is bluish and
most
closely resembles blueberries, though I am somewhat color blind.

Any idea what this metal is? Could it be cobalt?

Cobalt is ferromagnetic, so unless it is fully oxidized, it would
be
magnetic.

Jon

So it is not cobalt... no attraction to magnet...

Perhaps the light blue color came from oxidized copper plating?
https://www.skylighter.com/products/copper-carbonate

It s a copper phosphorus alloy or compound, as foud out with xrf gun!
Old September 1st 19, 09:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2019-08-22, Jon Elson wrote:
[...]

Nice new toy? Are they under fifty grand yet?

I bought a Flir C2 for my birfday. This Old House needs work. LOL.

Old September 3rd 19, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2019-08-22, Jon Elson wrote:
[...]

It was at a scrap yard, I do not own one...