Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1/2 broken dial calipers

Hi all, the depth rod on my Mitutoyo dial calipers is wiggly.. ~0.05" or so.
Is it possible to fix?
How likely am I to be able to put it back together if I take it apart?

Maybe there is a video online?

Thanks
George H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Aug 2019 08:48:52 -0700, ggherold wrote:

Hi all, the depth rod on my Mitutoyo dial calipers is wiggly.. ~0.05" or
so.
Is it possible to fix?
How likely am I to be able to put it back together if I take it apart?

Maybe there is a video online?

Thanks George H.

It depends on the style. The ones with 0.2" per turn of the dial are
really simple. Just take the end stop off and pull the slide all the way
to the right. be gentle as the pinion rides up onto the flat part after
the rack teeth end. Also, there will be a brass shim/spring that will
fall out as the slide comes completely off the spar.

The ones with 0.1" per dial turn are more tricky, they have a 2:1 gear
train behind the dial. This has 2 pinions on the rack, and a spring-
loaded gear train to remove backlash. One of the pinions needs to be
wound back against the spring a couple teeth when you reinsert the slide
onto the spar.

The depth rod is most likely screwed to the back of the slide with two
screws, which must have worked loose on yours.

Jon

review of my three new dial calipers from Enco Clark Magnuson Metalworking 9 November 19th 07 09:35 PM
Digital readout from dial calipers RoyJ Metalworking 10 April 22nd 06 08:53 PM
Dial calipers Bill Schwab Metalworking 8 December 28th 05 03:30 PM
fixing Mitutoyo Dial Calipers? pyotr filipivich Metalworking 4 December 7th 05 10:29 PM
dial calipers for woodworking "link" AArDvarK Woodworking 54 September 26th 04 06:30 AM