Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Internal Retaining Ring Groove Tool

I can just grab a piece of tool steel and go stand in front of the
grinder for a while, but I was wondering if there is a simple elegant,
not over priced tool to do the job. Ring groove will likely be 1.1"
give or take.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I can just grab a piece of tool steel and go stand in front of the
grinder for a while, but I was wondering if there is a simple
elegant, not over priced tool to do the job. Ring groove will
likely be 1.1" give or take.

https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-...ing-tools.aspx

The ones I bought in a second-hand tool store look like the CoroTurn
XS, ground from solid rod.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 28/07/2019 22:02, Bob La Londe wrote:
I can just grab a piece of tool steel and go stand in front of the
grinder for a while, but I was wondering if there is a simple elegant,
not over priced tool to do the job.Â*Â* Ring groove will likely be 1.1"
give or take.

If not large quantities why not grind a HSS or carbide bit to suit a
boring bar which can hold a bit at 90 degrees to the bar axis. I have a
number of bits for such tasks for internal threading or grooving. This
type of thing
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-MM-BOR...pid=1188831138

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 14:02:52 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

I can just grab a piece of tool steel and go stand in front of the
grinder for a while, but I was wondering if there is a simple elegant,
not over priced tool to do the job. Ring groove will likely be 1.1"
give or take.

boring bar with square (cut-off) blade
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

I can just grab a piece of tool steel and go stand in front of the
grinder for a while, but I was wondering if there is a simple elegant,
not over priced tool to do the job. Ring groove will likely be 1.1"
give or take.

**********
Seems the old school round boring bar with square broach and set screw might
be the best tool for this job. Atleast I can pregrind two or three HSS bits
the same for this if I wind up doing a bunch of them.

Now about face trepanning a recess that butts up against a shank diameter.
For now I have been using a hand ground brazed carbide inside threading
tool. It no longer looks like a theading tool and has relief on one side
for the smallest diameter of the recessed area.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I use a worn surface grinder I bought for $100 to grind lathe bits to
close angular and dimensional tolerance, after roughing them with an
angle grinder and then a bench grinder.

If your toolpost will swivel to it, 45 degrees is a good tool bit
angle for custom inside corner tools, ground into the end of the bit.
For that tool grind the end slightly less than 45 degrees for side
relief and grind a vee notch to form the outer cutting edge, then
relieve for circular clearance. I have a Multifix that indexes in 9
degree steps.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/30/2019 4:49 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

The QCTP on the PM1440 free spins so I can set it at any angle. I can
see how turning it would work with the 45 degree bar. The lathe bit
would have to stick out a little more, but it would work.

I've been playing with the idea of CNC roughing the part on the mill,
and then just throwing it in the lathe to finish. Maybe leave the OD 10
thou over, and the ID 10 thou under on the two dimensions that need to
be pretty concentric and just finish those on the lathe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 2:02:55 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
I can just grab a piece of tool steel and go stand in front of the
grinder for a while, but I was wondering if there is a simple elegant,
not over priced tool to do the job. Ring groove will likely be 1.1"
give or take.

If it were for a big bore cylinder, I'd consider a slitting saw blade with
suitable width, even if it were broken (just choose a good tooth, and take aim).
Hand-sharpening a square cutter for a composite boring bar could
work, but it's not something where I can really see the cut, so if I sharpen
it wrong... how would I ever be able to correct it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 2:02:55 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
I can just grab a piece of tool steel and go stand in front of the
grinder for a while, but I was wondering if there is a simple
elegant,
not over priced tool to do the job. Ring groove will likely be
1.1"
give or take.

If it were for a big bore cylinder, I'd consider a slitting saw
blade with
suitable width, even if it were broken (just choose a good tooth,
and take aim).
Hand-sharpening a square cutter for a composite boring bar could
work, but it's not something where I can really see the cut, so if I
sharpen
it wrong... how would I ever be able to correct it?

The lathe dial gives you the depth of the groove and these can measure
its width and position:
https://ecatalog.mitutoyo.com/Groove...146-C1131.aspx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I use the appropriate hole in a drill bit gauge or a washer to show
when I've hand ground enough circular relief below the cutting edge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I can just grab a piece of tool steel and go stand in front of the
grinder for a while, but I was wondering if there is a simple elegant,
not over priced tool to do the job. Ring groove will likely be 1.1"
give or take.

You can have elegant..or you can have over priced...but you cannot
have cheap and perfect.

(Grin)

Check Ebay. internal groove cutters can be found there for about 25%
or less of new.

Ill check my boxes of Stuff..but if memory serves..I dont have any Id
care to part with.

As a side note...I did make one up for a client who needed one RIGHT
NOW!.

I took an insert cut off tool, cut off an appropriate distance..and
tig welded it at a 90' right angle. Damned sure wasnt pretty..but
they are still running it, a year later.

Shrug

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Many years ago, when I first got a unimat, I needed to cut an internal
groove. Not knowing any better, I fashioned a boring tool from the
head of a concrete nail, shimmed it in place and produced an
acceptable internal notch that functioned well enough that I still
have that item available for use.