Old July 23rd 19, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Skate Bearings - Big Brother ???

Perhaps one of the absolute cheapest ball bearings assemblies is the
infamous skate bearing. They're cheap enough I buy them atleast a dozen at
a time for misc projects, and just have them on hand. I probably have 30 or
40 of them in my spare bearings right, not and a small package of them in
the center drawer of my desk. You can get them in better grades if you want
to, but the plane old cheap import version holds up just fine for hundreds
of projects, not the least of which is skate wheels. They are even cheaper
than buying bronze bushings from most of the common industrial suppliers. I
know. I have a few 8mm bore bronze bushings on hand too.

I've wondered about this for years. I think I might even have asked this
group before. Is there a big brother to this bearing? Something bigger and
nearly as common so that it can be priced to keep a bunch of them on hand
for miscellaneous project?

Old July 23rd 19, 06:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

https://www.baileyhydraulics.com/Reg...I-D-1-1-8-O-D-
I used a pair salvaged from lawnmower replacement wheels for the lift
screw bearings on my sawmill.

https://www.baileyhydraulics.com/600...-I-D-1-02-O-D-
https://www.baileyhydraulics.com/620...-I-D-1-18-O-D-
6203s support the wheels on the HF 1 ton gantry trolley, and the
trolley I made for an HF 1300# electric hoist.

Their catalog is a lesson in what's available in mechanical and
hydraulic components.

Old July 23rd 19, 08:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/23/2019 9:26 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Hi, Bob.
Can't answer the question.
But, several years ago I bought a used/abused Chinese metal band saw at
a local business "garage sale". $35.00. Keep it at the plant. Similar
one at home.

The abused one needed bearings. Checking for them on-line, I discovered
the number matched the bearings for skate boards and bought a bunch on
Ebay. Worked ok and saw is still going strong.

My identical saw at home uses a different bearing number and I never
check what the difference is.

Paul
Old July 23rd 19, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul Drahn" wrote in message
[...]

I use those 608s for the blade guides on my sawmill. They clog, but
both the Z and RS are easy to open with a safety pin point to clean
and regrease (or oil).

Old July 23rd 19, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Big brother equivalent is alternator bearings. 10x30x9

Old July 23rd 19, 11:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dan" wrote in message
Big brother equivalent is alternator bearings. 10x30x9

That's the 6200, $2.80. Let's see if this copied link works better:
https://www.baileyhydraulics.com/search?keywords=6200

Old July 24th 19, 06:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07/23/2019 03:37 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
Big brother equivalent is alternator bearings. 10x30x9

That's the 6200, $2.80. Let's see if this copied link works better:
https://www.baileyhydraulics.com/search?keywords=6200

$8.99, FREE Standard Shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-10-PCS-6200-2RS-Rubber-Sealed-Ball-Bearing-10x30x9-Lubricated-6200RS/392305577790?epid=4016314074&hash=item5b573c0f3e:g :yBAAAOSwHnJb6gaJ
Old July 24th 19, 06:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

All regular ball bearings are very cheap nowadays and even cheap ones
are well enough made for miscellaneous use. Enormous progress in
making them cheaply and industrially. No need to hoard bearings, just
buy them as you need them cheaply.

Old July 25th 19, 02:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, July 24, 2019 at 1:20:20 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus821 wrote:
All regular ball bearings are very cheap nowadays and even cheap ones
are well enough made for miscellaneous use. Enormous progress in
making them cheaply and industrially. No need to hoard bearings, just
buy them as you need them cheaply.

And for a lot of applitions you can use uhmw pe. Much cheaper than bronze sleeves. You can buy rod of it from Grainger and MSC.

Dan
Old July 26th 19, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus821" wrote in message

All regular ball bearings are very cheap nowadays and even cheap ones
are well enough made for miscellaneous use. Enormous progress in
making them cheaply and industrially. No need to hoard bearings, just
buy them as you need them cheaply.

In Yuma, Az there is one major bearing reseller that I am aware of and the
few times I have priced anything from them they seemed to think this was
still the 1970s where I had the choice of buying from them or doing without.
Other than that there are the usual hardware store bin bearings which are
typically only small sheet metal ball bearings suitable for movement with
light loads. There are a couple other sources, but they all say, "we can
get it for you." Now I am not talking about a particular spec bearing to
repair an old machine. For those I always get a high quality spec bearing
to match the old one, and often I have to check multiple sources to find
somebody who has it or has a good quality crossover. They are almost never
cheap.

In this case its more along the lines of deciding I want to build something.
Usually in the evening or on the weekend when I have shut down production in
the shop. Sure I can't have everything, but I can have a lot. Skate
bearings are pretty amazing. 4 of them can handle a thousand pounds rolling
load for a while, and a few hundred indefinitely with a quality grease.
When you think about it that's insanely good for such a tiny little bearing.
Put some preload on them and you can even make a light duty spindle out of
them (I have) that's perfect for cross drilling or cross tapping on the
lathe. I don't know how long they will last as my first one shows no signs
of wear yet. I was just looking for a couple larger bearings I could spend
a couple hundred bucks on and have a bunch of them in the project bearings
drawer on my back assembly bench for those weekend inspiration projects.