Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Skate Bearings - Big Brother ???

Perhaps one of the absolute cheapest ball bearings assemblies is the
infamous skate bearing. They're cheap enough I buy them atleast a dozen at
a time for misc projects, and just have them on hand. I probably have 30 or
40 of them in my spare bearings right, not and a small package of them in
the center drawer of my desk. You can get them in better grades if you want
to, but the plane old cheap import version holds up just fine for hundreds
of projects, not the least of which is skate wheels. They are even cheaper
than buying bronze bushings from most of the common industrial suppliers. I
know. I have a few 8mm bore bronze bushings on hand too.

I've wondered about this for years. I think I might even have asked this
group before. Is there a big brother to this bearing? Something bigger and
nearly as common so that it can be priced to keep a bunch of them on hand
for miscellaneous project?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

https://www.baileyhydraulics.com/Reg...I-D-1-1-8-O-D-
I used a pair salvaged from lawnmower replacement wheels for the lift
screw bearings on my sawmill.

https://www.baileyhydraulics.com/600...-I-D-1-02-O-D-
https://www.baileyhydraulics.com/620...-I-D-1-18-O-D-
6203s support the wheels on the HF 1 ton gantry trolley, and the
trolley I made for an HF 1300# electric hoist.

Their catalog is a lesson in what's available in mechanical and
hydraulic components.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/23/2019 9:26 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Perhaps one of the absolute cheapest ball bearings assemblies is the
infamous skate bearing.Â* They're cheap enough I buy them atleast a dozen
at a time for misc projects, and just have them on hand.Â* I probably
have 30 or 40 of them in my spare bearings right, not and a small
package of them in the center drawer of my desk.Â* You can get them in
better grades if you want to, but the plane old cheap import version
holds up just fine for hundreds of projects, not the least of which is
skate wheels. They are even cheaper than buying bronze bushings from
most of the common industrial suppliers.Â* I know.Â* I have a few 8mm bore
bronze bushings on hand too.

I've wondered about this for years.Â* I think I might even have asked
this group before.Â* Is there a big brother to this bearing?Â* Something
bigger and nearly as common so that it can be priced to keep a bunch of
them on hand for miscellaneous project?

Hi, Bob.
Can't answer the question.
But, several years ago I bought a used/abused Chinese metal band saw at
a local business "garage sale". $35.00. Keep it at the plant. Similar
one at home.

The abused one needed bearings. Checking for them on-line, I discovered
the number matched the bearings for skate boards and bought a bunch on
Ebay. Worked ok and saw is still going strong.

My identical saw at home uses a different bearing number and I never
check what the difference is.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul Drahn" wrote in message
[...]

I use those 608s for the blade guides on my sawmill. They clog, but
both the Z and RS are easy to open with a safety pin point to clean
and regrease (or oil).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Big brother equivalent is alternator bearings. 10x30x9

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dan" wrote in message
Big brother equivalent is alternator bearings. 10x30x9

That's the 6200, $2.80. Let's see if this copied link works better:
https://www.baileyhydraulics.com/search?keywords=6200

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07/23/2019 03:37 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
Big brother equivalent is alternator bearings. 10x30x9

That's the 6200, $2.80. Let's see if this copied link works better:
https://www.baileyhydraulics.com/search?keywords=6200

$8.99, FREE Standard Shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-10-PCS-6200-2RS-Rubber-Sealed-Ball-Bearing-10x30x9-Lubricated-6200RS/392305577790?epid=4016314074&hash=item5b573c0f3e:g :yBAAAOSwHnJb6gaJ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

All regular ball bearings are very cheap nowadays and even cheap ones
are well enough made for miscellaneous use. Enormous progress in
making them cheaply and industrially. No need to hoard bearings, just
buy them as you need them cheaply.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, July 24, 2019 at 1:20:20 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus821 wrote:
All regular ball bearings are very cheap nowadays and even cheap ones
are well enough made for miscellaneous use. Enormous progress in
making them cheaply and industrially. No need to hoard bearings, just
buy them as you need them cheaply.

And for a lot of applitions you can use uhmw pe. Much cheaper than bronze sleeves. You can buy rod of it from Grainger and MSC.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus821" wrote in message

All regular ball bearings are very cheap nowadays and even cheap ones
are well enough made for miscellaneous use. Enormous progress in
making them cheaply and industrially. No need to hoard bearings, just
buy them as you need them cheaply.

In Yuma, Az there is one major bearing reseller that I am aware of and the
few times I have priced anything from them they seemed to think this was
still the 1970s where I had the choice of buying from them or doing without.
Other than that there are the usual hardware store bin bearings which are
typically only small sheet metal ball bearings suitable for movement with
light loads. There are a couple other sources, but they all say, "we can
get it for you." Now I am not talking about a particular spec bearing to
repair an old machine. For those I always get a high quality spec bearing
to match the old one, and often I have to check multiple sources to find
somebody who has it or has a good quality crossover. They are almost never
cheap.

In this case its more along the lines of deciding I want to build something.
Usually in the evening or on the weekend when I have shut down production in
the shop. Sure I can't have everything, but I can have a lot. Skate
bearings are pretty amazing. 4 of them can handle a thousand pounds rolling
load for a while, and a few hundred indefinitely with a quality grease.
When you think about it that's insanely good for such a tiny little bearing.
Put some preload on them and you can even make a light duty spindle out of
them (I have) that's perfect for cross drilling or cross tapping on the
lathe. I don't know how long they will last as my first one shows no signs
of wear yet. I was just looking for a couple larger bearings I could spend
a couple hundred bucks on and have a bunch of them in the project bearings
drawer on my back assembly bench for those weekend inspiration projects.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

For me usually the shaft diameter determines the inch or metric
bearing. Hardware store and second-hand pulleys are typically inch and
may be difficult to rebore accurately, so they need inch shafts and
bearings. When I make everything from scratch I can use metric sizes.
Ultimately the motor torque or the axle load defines the minimum shaft
diameter, see my thread on Lovejoy couplers.

The temporary setups I've seen in engineering labs were often built
from 80/20 extrusions and pillow blocks. The local bearing supply
house told me 3/4" and 1" are the most common shaft sizes they sell
for prototyping.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 11:43:48 AM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

Sure I can't have everything, but I can have a lot.

Truer words were never spoken.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message

On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 11:43:48 AM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

Sure I can't have everything, but I can have a lot.

Truer words were never spoken.

****

You know I am very fortunate. I have or have had just about everything I
REALLY wanted in life. Ok a threesome with twin super models isn't really
in the cards, but trashy women, a good woman, and adventures I lived
through. Bikes, cars, trucks, boats, tools, more tools, even more tools...
I only ever had a couple true enemies in life, and the only one I know is
still alive came up to me years ago to make peace.

I wasn't thinking that way when I posted it, but yeah, You are right.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 13:18:46 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"rangerssuck" wrote in message

On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 11:43:48 AM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

Sure I can't have everything, but I can have a lot.

Truer words were never spoken.

****

You know I am very fortunate. I have or have had just about everything I
REALLY wanted in life. Ok a threesome with twin super models isn't really
in the cards, but trashy women, a good woman, and adventures I lived
through. Bikes, cars, trucks, boats, tools, more tools, even more tools...
I only ever had a couple true enemies in life, and the only one I know is
still alive came up to me years ago to make peace.

I wasn't thinking that way when I posted it, but yeah, You are right.

You'd likely find that, as my uncle said - he found out he "wasn't
wired for 2 20" (He said when his wife turned 40 he'd trade her in
for 2 20 year olds - and true to his word he did separate for a while
- but went back to his wife) He was an electrician.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 08:43:42 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

I like to salvage the shafts from gas struts. I'll put the horizontal
4"x6" outside, and set up the cut, then step back while they spray oil
when they vent. The shafts are usually 6mm or 10mm, so matching
bearings would be metric. I order some bearings from McMaster, or if
I want special seals or materials like marine, I'll use Boca Bearing.
They specialize in smaller bearings for r/c cars, fishing reels, etc.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/26/2019 3:18 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"rangerssuck"Â* wrote in message

On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 11:43:48 AM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

Sure I can't have everything, but I can have a lot.

Truer words were never spoken.

****

You know I am very fortunate.Â* I have or have had just about everything
I REALLY wanted in life.Â* Ok a threesome with twin super models isn't
really in the cards, but trashy women,

Never had a trashy women, but there was that one with an oral fixation
that went down deep to her core.

Anony

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 09:26:39 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

How about ten for $19.77 with free Prime delivery from Amazon?
6204-2RS 20x47x14mm size, double rubber shielded.
https://amzn.com/B071VHXSBX commonly used in riding mower decks.
Might make good machine skate bearings.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ....
The temporary setups I've seen in engineering labs were often built
from 80/20 extrusions and pillow blocks. The local bearing supply
house told me 3/4" and 1" are the most common shaft sizes they sell
for prototyping.

Here's an example of 80/20:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/antbikemike/8144525542/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message ...

*** I have MADE a bunch of stuff based on the bearings I had handy.
I thought I said it in the first post that these are to have some on
hand when I just want to "MAKE" something at night or on the
weekend and not have to put it on the shelves of unfinish projects
until the bearings come in. As long as it will handle the load I
can always make a shaft fit a bearing. I think I also said when I am
repairing a piece of machinery I just order a quality exact match
bearing. I make things. LOL. I don't just fix things.

I bought a small assortment of bearings for future projects and so far
have used only the 608 skate bearings. At the time I thought I'd need
60xx bearings for small electric motor projects but now I build for
gas engine power.

When I built the sawmill I bought extra L095 couplers and spiders and
considered stocking up on more 3/4" and 1" keyed shafting and pillow
blocks. I haven't needed the shafting and had to change to larger L099
couplers.

My hardware stock consists of a few pieces each of many sizes. I build
with whatever I have on hand and then restock or buy better suited
parts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

https://www.vxb.com/

https://www.vxb.com/Ball-Bearing-Who...Lots-s/787.htm

High precision Nachi to dirt cheap Chicom bearings.

And they give you free digital mics with orders over 75.. or did.

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"rangerssuck" wrote in message

On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 11:43:48 AM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

Sure I can't have everything, but I can have a lot.

Truer words were never spoken.

****

You know I am very fortunate. I have or have had just about everything I
REALLY wanted in life. Ok a threesome with twin super models isn't really
in the cards, but trashy women, a good woman, and adventures I lived
through. Bikes, cars, trucks, boats, tools, more tools, even more tools...
I only ever had a couple true enemies in life, and the only one I know is
still alive came up to me years ago to make peace.

I wasn't thinking that way when I posted it, but yeah, You are right.

A man cant ask for anything more than that.

All my true enemies are dead. The few that remain on Usenet..I
consider them to be retarded pets.

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

I've wondered about this for years. I think I might even have asked
this group before. Is there a big brother to this bearing? [608]
Something bigger and nearly as common so that it can be priced to
keep a bunch of them on hand for miscellaneous project?

I just bought 10 R8-2RS bearings on Amazon for $8.99. The page now
shows them out of stock, but there are other vendors at $13.99 for 10.
They are inch sized, 1/2" ID, 1-1/8" OD, 5/16" W. Max load is 500#,
max speed ~30k RPM, though perhaps not for that batch. I got them to
make larger roller blade guides for my sawmill, as they are what
Woodmizer uses.

R12 bearings for 3/4" shafts can be had at $18.75 for 10.
https://www.amazon.com/PGN-R12-2RS-S...gateway&sr=8-3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/2/2019 7:54 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

I've wondered about this for years. I think I might even have asked
this group before. Is there a big brother to this bearing? [608]
Something bigger and nearly as common so that it can be priced to
keep a bunch of them on hand for miscellaneous project?

I just bought 10 R8-2RS bearings on Amazon for $8.99. The page now
shows them out of stock, but there are other vendors at $13.99 for 10.
They are inch sized, 1/2" ID, 1-1/8" OD, 5/16" W. Max load is 500#,
max speed ~30k RPM, though perhaps not for that batch. I got them to
make larger roller blade guides for my sawmill, as they are what
Woodmizer uses.

R12 bearings for 3/4" shafts can be had at $18.75 for 10.
https://www.amazon.com/PGN-R12-2RS-S...gateway&sr=8-3

Thanks Jim. I actually have some R8-2RS bearings in my desk. (I really
need to get more organized). I think they are the spindle nose bearing
for one of my old wood routers. If its the one I recall it turned 28K.