Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Portable bandsaw for novice metal cutting

The Dewalt 371 is smaller than it looks, but not light as a drill. Seems
it will make good for cutting small pieces of metal, especially like
flat bar. The throat depth is almost 2 3/8. I would have preferred the
"deep cut" type of portable bandsaw but apparently they are much bigger
and heavier. I wanted much smaller and lighter than a hobby tabletop
bandsaw, for cutting aluminum. This one is tiny! Can't stand a circular
saw spewing aluminum chips everywhere. A jigsaw is a chore, especially
for thicker flat bar or steel. Now to make a stand for it, maybe stick
figure type, and to tack a plate on the existing work stop (throat
height is not a concern).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I wrote:

Can't stand a circular saw spewing aluminum chips everywhere.

The bandsaw spews aluminum chips everywhere, too! But oh well. It
can easily be taken outside for use, without messing with an
extension cord.