Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding machine, point and squeeze the trigger?

As seen on YouTube...
https://youtu.be/vBvb8ltntR8
Point and squeeze the trigger. That's my kind of welding.
One comment calls it a "powertig welder".
Lots of money?

Just curious.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/19/2019 3:20 AM, John Doe wrote:
As seen on YouTube...
https://youtu.be/vBvb8ltntR8

"Homemade Angle Grinder Stand"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 08:50:50 -0400
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 7/19/2019 3:20 AM, John Doe wrote:
As seen on YouTube...
https://youtu.be/vBvb8ltntR8

"Homemade Angle Grinder Stand"

It's just a MIG welder per seeing the gun early on. Didn't watch the
rest. You still need to know what you're doing with one. They don't
just squirt welds out like a caulk gun. There's the old, famous Gunner
spare tire mount story if one thinks it is so easy

You can buy a cheap one from HF for $200 or buy a commercial machine
from maybe $1500 and up...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 7/19/2019 3:20 AM, John Doe wrote:
As seen on YouTube...
https://youtu.be/vBvb8ltntR8

"Homemade Angle Grinder Stand"

It's just a MIG welder per seeing the gun early on. Didn't watch the
rest. You still need to know what you're doing with one. They don't
just squirt welds out like a caulk gun. There's the old, famous Gunner
spare tire mount story if one thinks it is so easy

You can buy a cheap one from HF for $200 or buy a commercial machine
from maybe $1500 and up...

Forget MIG - likely just flux-core - and I can buy a 130 amp FDS
flux core welder for $128 CANADIAN - thats a Benjamin for you
Americans.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 09:50:48 -0400
Clare Snyder wrote:

Forget MIG - likely just flux-core - and I can buy a 130 amp FDS
flux core welder for $128 CANADIAN - thats a Benjamin for you
Americans.

??? My MIG is a Millermatic 200. Bought new maybe 20 years ago for
around $1800. With solid .035 wire and argon 75/25 mix it can easily
weld 3/8 inch material in one pass. Probably not the best way to do
most jobs though.

These are serious machines for repair and production work when you get
into the more expensive, well built units...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Clare Snyder wrote:

Forget MIG - likely just flux-core - and I can buy a 130 amp FDS
flux core welder for $128 CANADIAN - thats a Benjamin for you
Americans.

??? My MIG is a Millermatic 200. Bought new maybe 20 years ago for
around $1800. With solid .035 wire and argon 75/25 mix it can easily
weld 3/8 inch material in one pass. Probably not the best way to do
most jobs though.

These are serious machines for repair and production work when you get
into the more expensive, well built units...

Not disputing that at all - whether used in sputter (pulsed or
globular spray) or short circuit mode.

I'm still partial to SMAW (stick) welding when I need to deposit lots
of metal or get deep penetration. The AC/DC tombstone is my personal
welding machine of choice For fine work TIG is more easily controlled
- and I am more likely to break out the acetylene torch or take it to
one of 2 friends who are very proficient with the TIG.
Nothing wrong with a GOOD MIG weld -but I've never made a good one -
and it is too easy to make a butt ugly weld that holds, or a good
looking (to the untrained eye) weld that is no good at all.

Been playing with a "cobra" or "henrob" torch recently - gives
control approaching TIG for fine work.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 11:37:48 -0400
Clare Snyder wrote:

snip
I'm still partial to SMAW (stick) welding when I need to deposit lots
of metal or get deep penetration. The AC/DC tombstone is my personal
welding machine of choice For fine work TIG is more easily controlled
- and I am more likely to break out the acetylene torch or take it to
one of 2 friends who are very proficient with the TIG.
Nothing wrong with a GOOD MIG weld -but I've never made a good one -
and it is too easy to make a butt ugly weld that holds, or a good
looking (to the untrained eye) weld that is no good at all.

I had the MIG for quite a few years before getting an old stick
machine. Wish I could have watched stuff like Jody puts on youtube back
when I was starting out. We tend to trust/use what we have worked with
the most

Been playing with a "cobra" or "henrob" torch recently - gives
control approaching TIG for fine work.

Have thought for some time now that a flame control that worked like
the TIG foot pedal would be extremely helpful for acy/oxy torches.
Probably one out there but I'm not going to pony up for it nowadays...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 7/19/2019 3:20 AM, John Doe wrote:
As seen on YouTube...
https://youtu.be/vBvb8ltntR8

"Homemade Angle Grinder Stand"

It's just a MIG welder per seeing the gun early on. Didn't watch the
rest. You still need to know what you're doing with one. They don't
just squirt welds out like a caulk gun. There's the old, famous
Gunner
spare tire mount story if one thinks it is so easy

You can buy a cheap one from HF for $200 or buy a commercial machine
from maybe $1500 and up...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

What he said.
Also, practice until your weld joints consistently withstand being
bent, don't trust their appearance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
I'm still partial to SMAW (stick) welding when I need to deposit
lots
of metal or get deep penetration. The AC/DC tombstone is my personal
welding machine of choice For fine work TIG is more easily
controlled
- and I am more likely to break out the acetylene torch or take it
one of 2 friends who are very proficient with the TIG.
Nothing wrong with a GOOD MIG weld -but I've never made a good
one -
and it is too easy to make a butt ugly weld that holds, or a good
looking (to the untrained eye) weld that is no good at all.

Been playing with a "cobra" or "henrob" torch recently - gives
control approaching TIG for fine work.

What's the dividing line where stick or acetylene are equally good?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

John Doe wrote:

As seen on YouTube...
https://youtu.be/vBvb8ltntR8

"Homemade Angle Grinder Stand"

Yeah. And? He uses a welder to make it.

You need some help playing the video???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 7/19/2019 3:20 AM, John Doe wrote:
As seen on YouTube...
https://youtu.be/vBvb8ltntR8

"Homemade Angle Grinder Stand"

It's just a MIG welder per seeing the gun early on. Didn't watch the
rest. You still need to know what you're doing with one. They don't
just squirt welds out like a caulk gun. There's the old, famous Gunner
spare tire mount story if one thinks it is so easy

Thanks..Id hoped that had been long forgotten...sigh...(blush)

You can buy a cheap one from HF for $200 or buy a commercial machine
from maybe $1500 and up...

Check Craigslist in your area for a MIG welder. They can be had for
$100 and up.

Flux core is the cheapest. Gas shielded is the best..but can be
expensive to set up. CO2 works fine as a shielding gas for most
welding

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

INSPIRATION - Squeeze J T Woodworking 0 December 28th 05 11:24 PM
safe? Using r-shack "tap-in squeeze connectors" for 110-AC? David Combs Home Repair 12 August 16th 05 01:13 AM
Toshiba cx29-672 Adjusting the Vertical squeeze J T rok Electronics Repair 2 March 8th 04 04:03 AM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Metalworking 1 January 4th 04 07:25 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Metalworking 1 December 15th 03 05:36 AM