Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Carriage Lock Screw Revisited

I've decided to go ahead and make a replacement screw with a sliding
handle (like a vise handle), but also with a hex on top "just in case."
This is a 14x40 lathe and there is plenty of clearance. Its not a
giant, but its decent size and there is room to work on it.

I have on 1144 stressproof, 4140QT, and cold rolled on hand. I have no
issue using the 1144 or the cold rolled, but I can't pick up 4140(QT
TGP) at a reasonable price locally. I hate to "burn it up" so to speak
on personal projects. Given the ease with which 1144 machines I am
concerned about shearing off threads on an 1144 bolt, but I have no
issue using it because I can just go get some more if I need it. The
cold rolled is really to soft IMO for making bolts.

I know the 4140 is tough as heck, and would make the most durable bolt,
but I hate to use it up if I don't have to.

(This isn't all I am doing, and its not "critical.")
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

Grade 5 and 8 bolts are high strength, readily available and not
difficult to turn, mill or thread.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2019-05-20, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've decided to go ahead and make a replacement screw with a sliding
handle (like a vise handle), but also with a hex on top "just in case."
This is a 14x40 lathe and there is plenty of clearance. Its not a
giant, but its decent size and there is room to work on it.

I have on 1144 stressproof, 4140QT, and cold rolled on hand. I have no
issue using the 1144 or the cold rolled, but I can't pick up 4140(QT
TGP) at a reasonable price locally. I hate to "burn it up" so to speak
on personal projects. Given the ease with which 1144 machines I am
concerned about shearing off threads on an 1144 bolt, but I have no
issue using it because I can just go get some more if I need it. The
cold rolled is really to soft IMO for making bolts.

I know the 4140 is tough as heck, and would make the most durable bolt,
but I hate to use it up if I don't have to.

I've made bolts using 12L14 -- free machining steel -- and they
have been strong enough for my needs. The 1144 sounds stronger, and the
4150QT may be more difficult to machine, depending. "QT" indicates some
particular temper?

(This isn't all I am doing, and its not "critical.")

So play with what you have and see how it machines.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/20/2019 4:54 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote: On 2019-05-20, Bob La Londe
wrote:
[...]

4140QT - QT means quenched and tempered. Its about the same hardness as
4140HT. TGP is "precision" ground. Actually from what I have been
reading in between feeding the machines is that 1144 Stressproof(tm) is
not ideal for cyclical loads like a bolt that is tightened and loosened
repeatedly. For that they recommend a product called Fatigueproof(tm).
1144 Stressproof(tm) is great for a static load though.

4140QT is tough machining. Maybe a little more so than 304-316
stainless, but its machinable. I get the best finish with modestly
large depth and width of cut on the lathe and a fresh insert. It will
work harden faster than stainless if you screw around. This lathe has
just enough power (3hp spindle motor) to do the job. The 4140QT is left
over from jobs. Not something I bought just to have some. I bought
"extra" just to have some. LOL. The 1144 I bought to just have some
because its so darned easy to cut.

I guess I'll be either using some of my stock of 4140QT or I'll do like
Jim suggested and chase down a big bolt to machine down to the
application.

I've made tools out of all of the above.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I find Tractor Supply a good source for one or five grade five or
grade eight bolts when I want to "invent" something!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/20/2019 5:55 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
... I am
concerned about shearing off threads on an 1144 bolt, ...

Reality check: how much torque/tension do you expect to put on this
locking bolt? Unless your tightening wrench is going to be a foot or
more long, the torque & tension is going to be small-ish. You could
_probably_ use aluminum and not shear the threads. IMO
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
On 5/20/2019 5:55 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
... I am
concerned about shearing off threads on an 1144 bolt, ...

Reality check: how much torque/tension do you expect to put on this
locking bolt? Unless your tightening wrench is going to be a foot
or more long, the torque & tension is going to be small-ish. You
could _probably_ use aluminum and not shear the threads. IMO

On my lathe one finger pushing a 4" wrench is enough.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

*******

There is a place called Copper State bolt a lot closer to me than Tractor
Supply and on the fasteners they stock they are always better priced than
places like Tractor Supply, Cal-Ranch, and Home Depot. Also better quality
and better selection. Hate might not be too strong of a word for the
Hillman crap you find in most of those chain places. On the other hand
when I am trying to finish something on Saturday afternoon I've been known
to go to Lowes for a handful of grossly over priced stainless, or yes "Yesh"
Tractor Supply or Cal-Ranch for a three point pin or bushing.

Side Note: Cal-Ranch is kind of a pleasant surprise. Their website is
total crap, but its quite the old fashion country hardware/general store.
Guns in the back. Tools and hardware on one side, and clothing on the
other... and its work clothing. Their fishing stuff is all kinda on the
cheap side, but they have one. If you miss the old stores like Yellow
Front, Fed-mart, or Fred's Corner Hardware they have done a decent job of
capturing some of that for a chain store. They are bigger, have wider
cleaner aisles, and a mix of decent and low end stuff, but the atmosphere is
more pleasant and less institutional. And if I need a MIG welding tip on
the weekend they have them. Not as cheap as 25 or 50 pack bags on Ebay, but
about the same price as the store brand at your local welding supply store.
The spray I use on my tractor came from them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message ...

On 5/20/2019 5:55 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
... I am
concerned about shearing off threads on an 1144 bolt, ...

Reality check: how much torque/tension do you expect to put on this
locking bolt? Unless your tightening wrench is going to be a foot or
more long, the torque & tension is going to be small-ish. You could
_probably_ use aluminum and not shear the threads. IMO

***
Um. No. But I get your point. LOL. Fair enough. I just really like this
big chunk of Chinese cast iron, and if I'm going to modify it I want to make
sure its a long term improvement.

P.S. The wrench on top of my tool post is about a foot long though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news

wrote:
[...]

That's great for you.

We have a first class hardware store in southern NH
https://www.yelp.com/biz/county-stores-milford-2
but there's no point suggesting it to readers outside this area. I try
to recommend only things that can be bought new all over the USA,
although my shop is equipped mostly with New England antiques from
auctions and second-hand stores.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message ...

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message There is a place called
[...]

Cal-Ranch and Copperstate Bolt are both regional chains. Cal-Ranch is
growing. Not sure about Copperstate. Copperstate does have a decent
website. Not as good as McMaster, but decent.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Sorry, what I should have said was:

Thank you. They are a good option if one of the closers stores doesn't have
what I need. Thanks for mentioning them.