DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How To: Remove a cracked set screw (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/635801-how-remove-cracked-set-screw.html)

Bob La Londe[_7_] May 18th 19 04:43 AM

How To: Remove a cracked set screw

There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders. It’s a 1/2
inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to find used. That
being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool holders to be found on
the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used to be. I hate to pitch a tool
holder I already have over such a cheap part.

Here is the problem. There is a tool in the holder and its well secured. I
want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand new hex key just
pops around like the screw is rounded, but its not. I'd like to save the
tool in the holder other wise I might be tempted to press it out.

John B.[_7_] May 18th 19 05:23 AM

How To: Remove a cracked set screw

On Fri, 17 May 2019 19:43:54 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders. Its a 1/2
inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to find used. That
being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool holders to be found on
the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used to be. I hate to pitch a tool
holder I already have over such a cheap part.

Here is the problem. There is a tool in the holder and its well secured. I
want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand new hex key just
pops around like the screw is rounded, but its not. I'd like to save the
tool in the holder other wise I might be tempted to press it out.

Try drilling out the set screw. Often one can drill a hole lengthwise
through a screw/bolt which seems to release some of the tension and
allows the resulting "tube" to be removed easily with an "easyout".

Even fairly hard set screws can be drilled with a high speed drill bit
at low cutting speeds and high feed pressure.
--
cheers,

John B.

Gerry[_9_] May 18th 19 05:53 AM

How To: Remove a cracked set screw

wrote:

[...]

Have you tried a left spiral drill bit? I prefer them over so-called
"easy-out" by 1000 to 1.

bob prohaska May 18th 19 05:56 AM

Bob La Londe wrote:
There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders. It?s a 1/2
inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to find used. That
being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool holders to be found on
the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used to be. I hate to pitch a tool
holder I already have over such a cheap part.

Here is the problem. There is a tool in the holder and its well secured. I
want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand new hex key just
pops around like the screw is rounded, but its not. I'd like to save the
tool in the holder other wise I might be tempted to press it out.

If the tool is sticking out by a reasonable amount I wonder if you could
cool it enough to shrink it free(er). First thought was to dunk the
exposed end of the tool in liquid nitrogen while keeping the holder
warm, but that might be overkill. Dry ice in acetone is more readily
available and might be adequate.

You'd probably have to epoxy a wrench in the set screw to back the screw
out once the chill takes effect.

Please post what you try and how it works!

bob prohaska

John B.[_7_] May 18th 19 06:23 AM

How To: Remove a cracked set screw

wrote:

[...]

The "easy-outs" I use are a tapered square ground from a high speed
tool bit. We found that the ones with the L.H. (sort of) screw thread
were a bit too much as if you drilled the correct size hole the
easy-out would never slip... it would break instead and getting the
broken easy-out, out of the broken bolt, was even more difficult than
removing the bolt itself :-(

As for L.H. drill bits, I never had access to any but they should work
well. I've seen screws or small bolts get hand loose when a hole was
drilled all the way through. If a L.H. drill bit was used then "Bob's
your Uncle" and it would be out all ready :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Jim Wilkins[_2_] May 18th 19 12:54 PM

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders. It's
a 1/2 inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to find
used. That being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool
holders to be found on the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used
to be. I hate to pitch a tool holder I already have over such a
cheap part.

Here is the problem. There is a tool in the holder and its well
secured. I want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand
new hex key just pops around like the screw is rounded, but its not.
I'd like to save the tool in the holder other wise I might be
tempted to press it out.

Is enough of the screw exposed to cut it off? The ends of dull hacksaw
blades are still sharp and can be ground thinner on a wheel that's
dressed straight, or better on a surface grinder. They also make good
flat springs with a mounting hole.

Try an English hex bit if it's metric, or vice versa.

Perhaps you could grind the end of the next larger size hex bit until
it can be jammed in. Just shorten the modified bit to restore it.

Terry Coombs[_2_] May 18th 19 01:59 PM

wrote:

[...]

* I got my set of LH bits at Horrible Fright ... and they hold up
reasonably well unless you try to drill hardened steel . OTOH there's a
set of stripped screw removers out in my toolbox that came from Sears ,
It would probably work in Bob's case since they are a better grade of
hardened steel . Got a set for rounded bolt heads too ... and they work
on stripped out allen head cap screws .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Robert Nichols May 18th 19 03:24 PM

On 5/17/19 9:43 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders.* It’s a 1/2 inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to find used.* That being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool holders to be found on the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used to be.* I hate to pitch a tool holder I already have over such a cheap part.

Here is the problem.* There is a tool in the holder and its well secured.* I want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand new hex key just pops around like the screw is rounded, but its not.* I'd like to save the tool in the holder other wise I might be tempted to press it out.

If there is some exposed screw where it contacts the tool bit, use a cutoff disc in a Dremel tool to cut through the screw. That will relieve the pressure on the screw and should allow you to back it out.

[email protected] May 18th 19 03:41 PM

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 10:44:00 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders. It’s a 1/2
inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to find used. That
being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool holders to be found on
the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used to be. I hate to pitch a tool
holder I already have over such a cheap part.

Here is the problem. There is a tool in the holder and its well secured. I
want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand new hex key just
pops around like the screw is rounded, but its not. I'd like to save the
tool in the holder other wise I might be tempted to press it out.

I would expect the set screw to be metric.

How about finding the Allen wrench that is just a bit too large and grinding it so it fits?

Dan

[email protected] May 18th 19 03:46 PM

How To: Remove a cracked set screw

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 10:44:00 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders. It’s a 1/2
inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to find used. That
being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool holders to be found on
the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used to be. I hate to pitch a tool
holder I already have over such a cheap part.

Here is the problem. There is a tool in the holder and its well secured. I
want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand new hex key just
pops around like the screw is rounded, but its not. I'd like to save the
tool in the holder other wise I might be tempted to press it out.

Many years ago a friend had a similar problem. We jury rigged a edm. But my friend ended up taking the part to a machine shop with an edm machine.

Dan