Old May 18th 19, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How To: Remove a cracked set screw

On Fri, 17 May 2019 19:43:54 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders. Itís a 1/2
inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to find used. That
being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool holders to be found on
the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used to be. I hate to pitch a tool
holder I already have over such a cheap part.

Here is the problem. There is a tool in the holder and its well secured. I
want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand new hex key just
pops around like the screw is rounded, but its not. I'd like to save the
tool in the holder other wise I might be tempted to press it out.

Two solutions:

1 EDM An EDM power supply is fairly easy to make. I use soft
drafting lead (4H) as the machining tool. Fill the hole with kerosene
and with a steady hand (or a drill press, slowly bore a hole straight
through the set screw. That usually relieves the stress enough to
unscrew. If not, move the tool sideways in the hole to cut a slot
almost to the tool post threads.

2. broken stud welding rod. I'm not sure who owns the rod now, as
they've been bought out several times. This is a specialty rod.
Simply poke it down into the hole until an arc starts against the
setscrew. The rod coating forms a protective coating on the threads
that prevents neither an arc forming nor damage to the threads.

build the post of weld metal high enough that vice grips or channel
locks can get a grip. Simply unscrew the assembly. The protective
flux chips off as the broken screw comes out.

I used to own a welding supply wholesale company with a retail
showroom. This company made a wide variety of specialty rods. Came
in packs of 5 rods if I recall. Somewhat expensive but when ya gotta
have 'em.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Old May 18th 19, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

Here is the problem. There is a tool in the holder and
its well secured. I want to take the tool out, but even
a clean crisp brand new hex key just pops around like the
screw is rounded, but its not.

Try an English hex bit if it's metric, or vice versa.

There yah go. That's what I was thinking too.. phil k.

Old May 18th 19, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/17/2019 7:43 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders.¬* It‚Äôs a
1/2 inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to find
used.¬* That being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool holders
to be found on the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used to be.¬* I
hate to pitch a tool holder I already have over such a cheap part.

Here is the problem.¬* There is a tool in the holder and its well
secured.¬* I want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand new
hex key just pops around like the screw is rounded, but its not.¬* I'd
like to save the tool in the holder other wise I might be tempted to
press it out.

I think that ultimately the screw exerts greater pressure on the threads
when I try to turn it because it is cracked. IE: Tries to expand.
Old May 18th 19, 10:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
On 5/17/2019 7:43 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders. It's
a 1/2 inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to
find used. That being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool
holders to be found on the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used
to be. I hate to pitch a tool holder I already have over such a
cheap part.

Here is the problem. There is a tool in the holder and its well
secured. I want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand
new hex key just pops around like the screw is rounded, but its
not. I'd like to save the tool in the holder other wise I might be
tempted to press it out.

I think that ultimately the screw exerts greater pressure on the
threads when I try to turn it because it is cracked. IE: Tries to
expand.

If you had to slice open the slot above the tool bit with a cutoff
wheel to part the setscrews you'd still have a useable toolholder.

Old May 19th 19, 02:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 May 2019 11:23:03 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Fri, 17 May 2019 23:53:32 -0400, Gerry
wrote:

wrote:

There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders. Itís a 1/2
inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to find used. That
being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool holders to be found on
the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used to be. I hate to pitch a tool
holder I already have over such a cheap part.

Here is the problem. There is a tool in the holder and its well secured. I
want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand new hex key just
pops around like the screw is rounded, but its not. I'd like to save the
tool in the holder other wise I might be tempted to press it out.

Try drilling out the set screw. Often one can drill a hole lengthwise
through a screw/bolt which seems to release some of the tension and
allows the resulting "tube" to be removed easily with an "easyout".

Even fairly hard set screws can be drilled with a high speed drill bit
at low cutting speeds and high feed pressure.

Have you tried a left spiral drill bit? I prefer them over so-called
"easy-out" by 1000 to 1.

The "easy-outs" I use are a tapered square ground from a high speed
tool bit. We found that the ones with the L.H. (sort of) screw thread
were a bit too much as if you drilled the correct size hole the
easy-out would never slip... it would break instead and getting the
broken easy-out, out of the broken bolt, was even more difficult than
removing the bolt itself :-(

As for L.H. drill bits, I never had access to any but they should work
well. I've seen screws or small bolts get hand loose when a hole was
drilled all the way through. If a L.H. drill bit was used then "Bob's
your Uncle" and it would be out all ready :-)

I try to drill the head off the screw using a LH drill bit larger than
the screw body and, generaly, just before the head coms off (at the
point where tension is removed), the screw backs out.

Old May 19th 19, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 May 2019 14:22:03 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 5/17/2019 7:43 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders.* Itís a
1/2 inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to find
used.* That being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool holders
to be found on the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used to be.* I
hate to pitch a tool holder I already have over such a cheap part.

Here is the problem.* There is a tool in the holder and its well
secured.* I want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand new
hex key just pops around like the screw is rounded, but its not.* I'd
like to save the tool in the holder other wise I might be tempted to
press it out.

I think that ultimately the screw exerts greater pressure on the threads
when I try to turn it because it is cracked. IE: Tries to expand.

Drill into the screw with a drill that is the slightly less than the
minor diameter of the thread until the drill is almost as deep as the
bottom of the screw. Then go into the same hole with a flat bottom
drill, still keeping away from the very bottom of the screw. This will
allow the screw to relax away from the tool in the toolholder. After
removing the tool go back into the hole a third time with the flat
bottom drill and it should just screw out of the hole.
Eric
Old May 20th 19, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2019-05-18, Bob La Londe wrote:
There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders. It?s a 1/2
inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to find used. That
being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool holders to be found on
the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used to be. I hate to pitch a tool
holder I already have over such a cheap part.

Understood.

Here is the problem. There is a tool in the holder and its well secured. I
want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand new hex key just
pops around like the screw is rounded, but its not. I'd like to save the
tool in the holder other wise I might be tempted to press it out.

First off -- is it possible that the hex socket is metric
instead of imperial (or imperial if you are using a metric hex key set)?

But -- if you are willing to spend some money to be prepared for
future problems like this -- there is a set of tools for drilling out
taps -- and which will work on hardened setscrews too.

Look for "omegadrill" (Omegadrill set # OD-SET 1). They have a
URL on the box www.omegadrill.com. I got mine from MSC a while back.
They are sometimes offered in their sales flyers -- but be sitting down
when you look at the price. MSC's regular web price at the moment is
$162.51. I could not find it in the flyer within easy reach. MSC's
part number is: 77215606. You can check the other three sources below
for the set -- or perhaps even be able to buy individual drills (the
most expensive part of the 4-drill set).

You did not mention the size of the setscrew. Is this like the
Aloris sets -- just one of the clones? If so, a 200 size is like the
BXA size. For those, the OD-3/16 might fit down into the socket to
start the drilling on center, and the OD-1/4 could likely drill out the
setscrew to near the bottom of the threads. These are the two largest
bits in the set. And it is likely that the screws are a metric
setscrew close to a 5/16" Imperial one. (About 8mm).

The bits look quite weird, but work well in a rigid machine.

O.K. Their "where to buy" link points to two I know and two I
don't

MSC Industrial Supply, 1-800-645-7270
www.mscdirect.com

McMaster-Carr Supply, 1-630-833-0300
www.mcmaster.com

Airgas Rutland Tool, 1-800-289-4787
www.rutlandtool.com

Travers Tool Company, 1-800-221-0270
www.travers.com

Anyway -- loosen or remove all the other setscrews, clamp the
holder in a vise, and drill through the setscrew until the tool becomes
a little loose in the holder. Then pull it out, and move up to the next
size of bit from the omegadrill set and keep going. Hopefully, when it
bites in, it will spin the screw down into the channel the tool shank
normally fits in.

Another possibility -- check if there is clearance between the
top of the tool shank and the top of the shank channel in the holder.
If so -- try an abrasive disc -- something like the ones in Dremel sets,
but likely you'll need a larger diameter. I have one about 3" diameter
driven by a compressed air tool -- assuming you have an air compressor.
I got this at a local auto parts place for not too much money. Given
this, you may be able to cut through the bottom end of the setscrew,
remove the tool, and then remove the top half of the setscrew.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Old May 22nd 19, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default MO How To: Remove a cracked set screw

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders. It’s a 1/2
inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to find used. That
being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool holders to be found on
the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used to be. I hate to pitch a tool
holder I already have over such a cheap part.

Here is the problem. There is a tool in the holder and its well secured. I
want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand new hex key just
pops around like the screw is rounded, but its not. I'd like to save the
tool in the holder other wise I might be tempted to press it out.

*************

Well I drilled it out and smacked an extractor into it and still nothing.
Unfortunately it drilled slightly off center and I don't think I want to
chase down to the threads with bigger drills now. I think my next step will
be to see if I can rotary cut a notch or two with a tiny burr and use a
small drift to back drive it out.

Old May 22nd 19, 05:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 May 2019 09:24:08 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
Well I drilled it out and smacked an extractor into it and still nothing.
Unfortunately it drilled slightly off center and I don't think I want to
chase down to the threads with bigger drills now. I think my next step will
be to see if I can rotary cut a notch or two with a tiny burr and use a
small drift to back drive it out.

Slightly larger left-hand drill bit? Not cheap, especially for a set
but McMaster carries most sizes in singles too. A good chance it would
just unscrew when you hit the magic size that relieves the tension on
it...

Do you have enough material to just drill a bigger hole, thread and use
a larger set screw?

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Old May 22nd 19, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/22/2019 9:49 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:

Do you have enough material to just drill a bigger hole, thread and use
a larger set screw?

I don't know how hard the tool holder is, but that's not a bad option.