Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tools You Use, but Didn't Think You Would

A number of years ago I bought an RF30 mill drill. (I already had a smaller
mill drill) I thought it would be really handy for that occasional hack job
when the CNCs were busy. The guy was also selling an HF 8.5x18 lathe. In
order to get a decent price and get him to throw in all the tooling I had to
buy both. As it was I left with no purchase and then later he called me
back. I figured I'd use the RF-30, sell the lathe quick below market and
have net lower price on the mill. Well, the RF30 has been gone for a couple
years now and I still have the 8.5x18. In fact its saved my bacon many
times. I've been able to make and repair parts for other machines in the
shop many times to get things going again right now. In fact I still use it
2-3 days a week most weeks. I've take the chuck off of it, and installed a
Little Machine Shop 3C collet adapter (have a video on Youtube) that is
quite handy with a hand wheel draw bar. Mostly I use it for radiusing the
end of dowel pins, but it gets used for lots of smaller work. For small
stuff its certainly better than the 3 jaw and faster than the 4 jaw on my
bigger 14x40 lathe.

What tools did you pick up thinking you wouldn't have much use for, and you
use all the time now?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
What tools did you pick up thinking you wouldn't have much use for,
and you use all the time now?

I use the LMS 6-jaw 4" lathe chuck much more than I expected to.
https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...ProductID=2276

It's on their #5479 5C backing plate and is easier to swap in than
removing the whole 5C setup to mount a regular chuck.
https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...ProductID=5479

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/13/2019 5:07 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
What tools did you pick up thinking you wouldn't have much use for,
and you use all the time now?

I use the LMS 6-jaw 4" lathe chuck much more than I expected to.
https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...ProductID=2276

It's on their #5479 5C backing plate and is easier to swap in than
removing the whole 5C setup to mount a regular chuck.
https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...ProductID=5479

Nice looking 6 jaw. What's the worst run out you have seen across its
grip range? Honestly. grin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
On 5/13/2019 5:07 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
What tools did you pick up thinking you wouldn't have much use
for,
and you use all the time now?

I use the LMS 6-jaw 4" lathe chuck much more than I expected to.
https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...ProductID=2276

It's on their #5479 5C backing plate and is easier to swap in than
removing the whole 5C setup to mount a regular chuck.
https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...ProductID=5479

Nice looking 6 jaw. What's the worst run out you have seen across
its grip range? Honestly. grin

0.003", as specified. Electronics doesn't require the high precision
of optical tubing work like lens mount threads. My 1965 South Bend is
too worn for that anyway, and I had that job threaded on a Hardinge.

It was good enough to make the obsolete coaxial connector shell and
pin to adapt a tracking generator to my vintage rf spectrum analyzer.