Old April 22nd 19, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Easiest/cheapest way/tool to bend small steel flat bar?

I would like to neatly bend some 7/8 inch wide 1/8 inch thick steel
flat bar.

The bend point need not be a precise location, the ends can be cut
to suit. The bend needs to be well aligned. The bend is 45 and
reasonably accurate, reasonably small as possible radius. Of course
strength is important.

Best or cheapest way to put a small radius bend in 7/8 inch wide 1/8
inch thick steel flat bar? I would rather not by a tool, but
whatever.

Will this or anything cheaper do...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

I will look for something smaller. Don't need to bend 4 inch wide
1/4 inch thick steel.

Old April 22nd 19, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 22/04/2019 21:23, John Doe wrote:
I would like to neatly bend some 7/8 inch wide 1/8 inch thick steel
flat bar.

The bend point need not be a precise location, the ends can be cut
to suit. The bend needs to be well aligned. The bend is 45� and
reasonably accurate, reasonably small as possible radius. Of course
strength is important.

Best or cheapest way to put a small radius bend in 7/8 inch wide 1/8
inch thick steel flat bar? I would rather not by a tool, but
whatever.

Will this or anything cheaper do...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

I will look for something smaller. Don't need to bend 4 inch wide
1/4 inch thick steel.

It would help to know what equipment you have and what you consider as a
small radius and the quantity required. For me I would assume you have a
bench vice and that would be a first choice if you have nothing better,
I do. Maybe fit some aluminium angle to clamp the material to act as
soft jaws and then place a steel block against the strip and hammer with
a suitable hammer such as maybe a 2lbs lump hammer, should be an easy job.

Old April 22nd 19, 10:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/22/2019 3:23 PM, John Doe wrote:
I would like to neatly bend some 7/8 inch wide 1/8 inch thick steel
flat bar.

The bend point need not be a precise location, the ends can be cut
to suit. The bend needs to be well aligned. The bend is 45° and
reasonably accurate, reasonably small as possible radius. Of course
strength is important.

Best or cheapest way to put a small radius bend in 7/8 inch wide 1/8
inch thick steel flat bar? I would rather not by a tool, but
whatever.

Will this or anything cheaper do...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

I will look for something smaller. Don't need to bend 4 inch wide
1/4 inch thick steel.

* Do you own a vise or know someone who does ? Clamp 2 - 1/4" or 5/16"
bolts/rods sticking straight up and about an inch apart . Instant
improvised bending fixture . If you have a heat source , torch or
whatever , heating it red hot will make it much easier . If not , a
hammer can help persuade to bar to bend . And take out any unintended
kinks .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old April 22nd 19, 11:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

I need only four pieces. Conceivably, I could do this one more time
in the future.

What would be a suitable vice for using a vice brake to safely bend
1/8 inch thick 1 inch wide steel flat bar? Whatever sort of common
steel.

This looks tight enough (the two pieces on the bottom)...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1600_.jpg

That was done using a 5 inch vice brake, I suppose the 4 inch
version will do as well.
Old April 22nd 19, 11:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

Can you improvise a vise brake?

Old April 22nd 19, 11:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/22/2019 5:33 PM, John Doe wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

John Doe wrote:
[...]

I don't know about the OP , but if I needed to do this (looked at his
pics , assume that's what he's making) I'd fab something for the 12 ton
hydraulic press .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old April 23rd 19, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

John Doe wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
John Doe wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Looks very efficient for bending certain things.

Can you improvise a vise brake?

I don't know about the OP , but if I needed to do this (looked at
his pics , assume that's what he's making) I'd fab something for
the 12 ton hydraulic press .

What I am making is less difficult. At least one half-inch less wide,
1/16 inch less thick, and half the angle as this...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1600_.jpg

Would be useful if the poster told customers what vise he used. He
said he didn't need to use a cheater bar, so apparently it wasn't
too difficult.
Old April 23rd 19, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I wrote:

Can you improvise a vise brake?

About using U bar and T bar.

Old April 23rd 19, 02:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 1:23:33 PM UTC-7, John Doe wrote:
I would like to neatly bend some 7/8 inch wide 1/8 inch thick steel
flat bar.

Easiest is to press with an edge into a V block; sometimes that an be
done in a vise, but 'easy' means a press (hydraulic press is a nice choice).

A jig that keeps the edge clean is basically a sheet-metal brake (but maybe
not as wide as the tin-workers use). That requires a long lever to swing
the moving jaw, but can be cobbled together from heavy steel parts and (maybe)
a door hinge(s). Easy if you have welding tools and scrap iron, more difficult
with drill/bolts/hardware-store-steel.
Old April 23rd 19, 11:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message

https://www.harborfreight.com/compact-bender-38470.html