Old May 13th 19, 12:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Easiest/cheapest way/tool to bend small steel flat bar?

Final gluing in process. Will be bending aluminum flat bar, 3/4" x
1/4". Using a 5/8" space for the steel jaws. That leaves only 1/8"
if the bend were 180, but maybe it will do since the bend is only
45. I need it tight as possible. If that doesn't work, the bars can
be broken apart, scraped clean, and reglued to 3/4" I guess.

The four steel bars are each 3/8" x 1 1/2" x 6".

The neat thing about this method is that the flat bar is guaranteed
to bend straight. Maybe something similar could be added to a big
vice. And of course making the jaw width easily variable would be
much better for general use. But that's not my concern.

I wrote:

How about four thick square bars, maybe 0.5" x 1" x 6" each (the two
crosswise bars can be short), some superglue, and maybe four screws
(although superglue is great against shearing pressure).

Just arrange the bars in a pound sign, a tic-tac-toe box. Glue and
then maybe screw them together. One of the bars to be bent can be used
as the divide for gluing the crosswise bars that holds the two main
bars together and keeps the bend straight.

If that has been done before (seems like it should have), please post
links. I vaguely recall trying something similar.

Old May 13th 19, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've luck in the past with just heating where I want the bend with a MAP
gas torch and carefully bending it in a bench vice. You'll want to be
pretty quick about it once it's in the vice because the vice will sink
the heat from the bar. You can also carefully use a medium sized ball
peen hammer and gently persuade the bar into the bend you want on the
little "anvil" on the back of the vice.

John Doe wrote:
I would like to neatly bend some 7/8 inch wide 1/8 inch thick steel
flat bar.

The bend point need not be a precise location, the ends can be cut
to suit. The bend needs to be well aligned. The bend is 45 and
reasonably accurate, reasonably small as possible radius. Of course
strength is important.

Best or cheapest way to put a small radius bend in 7/8 inch wide 1/8
inch thick steel flat bar? I would rather not by a tool, but
whatever.

Will this or anything cheaper do...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

I will look for something smaller. Don't need to bend 4 inch wide
1/4 inch thick steel.

Old May 17th 19, 12:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ordered a Yost 465 vise, and a 4" vise brake.