Old April 23rd 19, 03:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Easiest/cheapest way/tool to bend small steel flat bar?

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 20:23:26 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

I would like to neatly bend some 7/8 inch wide 1/8 inch thick steel
flat bar.

The bend point need not be a precise location, the ends can be cut
to suit. The bend needs to be well aligned. The bend is 45 and
reasonably accurate, reasonably small as possible radius. Of course
strength is important.

Best or cheapest way to put a small radius bend in 7/8 inch wide 1/8
inch thick steel flat bar? I would rather not by a tool, but
whatever.

Will this or anything cheaper do...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

I will look for something smaller. Don't need to bend 4 inch wide
1/4 inch thick steel.

As Dave suggested, the first thing that comes to mind for most home
metalworkers is a vise. A BIG vise. A VERY big vise.

That's why a BIG vise is one of the first things home metalworkers try
to acquire. There are lots of limited-purpose bending devices, one or
another of which will do your job just fine and be cheaper, but a BIG
vise will be one of the most useful and versatile tools you can get.

BIG vises are not cheap. Most of us acquire them used, in one way or
another. I've had mine for 40 years so I'm of no help in getting one
now. But maybe someone else can make some suggestions. You're on
Staten Island, right? There used to be lots of small shops over there.
Somewhere, there is a vise for you.

--
Ed Huntress

Old April 23rd 19, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 10:30:25 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

That's why a BIG vise is one of the first things home metalworkers try
to acquire. There are lots of limited-purpose bending devices, one or
another of which will do your job just fine and be cheaper, but a BIG
vise will be one of the most useful and versatile tools you can get.

BIG vises are not cheap. Most of us acquire them used, in one way or
another. I've had mine for 40 years so I'm of no help in getting one
now. But maybe someone else can make some suggestions. You're on
Staten Island, right? There used to be lots of small shops over there.
Somewhere, there is a vise for you.

--
Ed Huntress

Try Craigslist and Ebay. Big vices are heavy so finding one close to home is good.

I got a 6 inch Parker vice at the local scrap yard for $ .25 a lb. But have only seen one vice there.

Dan

Old April 23rd 19, 06:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 08:38:52 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

Google "diy metal bender" for at least half a dozen simple to make
metal bending tools designed for precisly the job you want to do, blus
about a hundred for other metal bending tasks.
Old April 23rd 19, 06:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Here is a pretty simple tool to do that kind of job.
http://www.homemadetools.net/homemade-metal-bender-5
Scale it up or down as required.

or https://cocktailvp.com/make-a-metal-...made-diy-tool/
Or just head over to Harbor Freight with $50.
Old April 23rd 19, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Although I agree 100% with the need for a vise, seems to me using a
big hammer might be most efficient...

Simply a hammer, a chisel, and a metal piece set on the
ground/anvil. The metal piece can even have rails to keep the flat
bar in line. So all I need to do is find a metal piece separated by
1 inch (or whatever the separation for a small radius). A heavy duty
U bar might work well, if I can find the right size with thick
enough walls. But surely there must be multiple possibilities in a
legitimate hardware store like Lowe's, Home Depot, or McMaster Carr.
Then maybe attach some metal pieces at a right angle to keep the
flat bar aligned. Sharpen up the chisel, and beat on it.

I'm assuming hammering won't damage the flat bar any more than
pressing it will.

--

Harbor Freight is a disgusting suggestion, typical of trolls.
Whenever passing one, I avert my eyes.

Old April 23rd 19, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message
Harbor Freight is a disgusting suggestion, typical of trolls.
Whenever passing one, I avert my eyes.

Which reseller of Chinese products do you consider acceptable?

Old April 23rd 19, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 18:56:19 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

No thanks. Selling out one's fellow citizens in such an obvious way is pathetic.

And exactly how is making your own metal bender, as was my PRIMARY
recommendation "selling out your fellow citizens"? unless you use
chinese steel to make it. Then again, the chances are pretty darn good
the metal he's bending is Chinese anyway - - - - - -
Old April 23rd 19, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How about four thick square bars, maybe 0.5" x 1" x 6" each (the two
crosswise bars can be short), some superglue, and maybe four screws
(although superglue is great against shearing pressure).

Just arrange the bars in a pound sign, a tic-tac-toe box. Glue and
then maybe screw them together. One of the bars to be bent can be used
as the divide for gluing the crosswise bars that holds the two main
bars together and keeps the bend straight.

If that has been done before (seems like it should have), please post
links. I vaguely recall trying something similar.

Old April 24th 19, 12:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 23/04/2019 23:43, John Doe wrote:
How about four thick square bars, maybe 0.5" x 1" x 6" each (the two
crosswise bars can be short), some superglue, and maybe four screws
(although superglue is great against shearing pressure).

Just arrange the bars in a pound sign, a tic-tac-toe box. Glue and
then maybe screw them together. One of the bars to be bent can be used
as the divide for gluing the crosswise bars that holds the two main
bars together and keeps the bend straight.

If that has been done before (seems like it should have), please post
links. I vaguely recall trying something similar.

To me you seem to be over thinking this project but that may indicate
lack of experience with the type of job you're asking about on your
part. Do you not have a bench vice? For me the job you asked about
seemed a trivial job with a bench vice, metal block, and suitable
hammer. You can hammer directly on the steel strip you want to bend when
clamped in a vice but the steel block helps spread the load and produce
a neater bend.

Old April 24th 19, 01:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 06:33:42 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message
David Billington wrote:

John Doe wrote:

I would like to neatly bend some 7/8 inch wide 1/8 inch thick
steel flat bar.

The bend point need not be a precise location, the ends can be
cut to suit. The bend needs to be well aligned. The bend is 45�
and reasonably accurate, reasonably small as possible radius. Of
course strength is important.

Best or cheapest way to put a small radius bend in 7/8 inch wide
1/8 inch thick steel flat bar? I would rather not by a tool, but
whatever.

Will this or anything cheaper do...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

I will look for something smaller. Don't need to bend 4 inch wide
1/4 inch thick steel.

It would help to know what equipment you have and what you
consider as a small radius and the quantity required. For me I
would assume you have a bench vice and that would be a first
choice if you have nothing better, I do. Maybe fit some aluminium
angle to clamp the material to act as soft jaws and then place a
steel block against the strip and hammer with a suitable hammer
such as maybe a 2lbs lump hammer, should be an easy job.

I need only four pieces. Conceivably, I could do this one more time
in the future.

What would be a suitable vice for using a vice brake to safely bend
1/8 inch thick 1 inch wide steel flat bar? Whatever sort of common
steel.

This looks tight enough (the two pieces on the bottom)...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1600_.jpg

That was done using a 5 inch vice brake, I suppose the 4 inch
version will do as well.

https://www.harborfreight.com/compact-bender-38470.html

Yup. I got the shorty, benchtop style and love it. $50 on sale
https://www.harborfreight.com/bench-...der-38471.html

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.