DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Golf Putter Head Material (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/632569-golf-putter-head-material.html)

MOP CAP[_2_] March 11th 19 11:30 PM

Golf Putter Head Material

I recebtly salvagd the shaft from $1 fles market putter for another purpose.
The head is very heavy for its size and nonmagnetic. What type of alloy
or metal is it?
Any ideas?
Thanks,
CP

James Waldby[_3_] March 12th 19 04:09 AM

Golf Putter Head Material

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 16:30:12 -0700, MOP CAP wrote:

I recently salvagd the shaft from $1 fles market putter for another
purpose. The head is very heavy for its size and nonmagnetic.
What type of alloy or metal is it? [...]

A few kinds of stainless steel are used in golf club heads (see eg
https://www.hirekogolf.com/clubheads-material-differences) but it
looks like all of those mentioned there (17-4, 431, maraging) are
martensitic and magnetic. Zinc putter heads are mentioned near the
end of the page, and are a good possibility for a $1 putter. Zinc
is a little less dense than iron but significantly softer. If it's
zinc you could easily drill it, or carve shavings off.

--
jiw

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 12th 19 11:37 AM

Golf Putter Head Material

"James Waldby" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 16:30:12 -0700, MOP CAP wrote:

I recently salvagd the shaft from $1 fles market putter for another
purpose. The head is very heavy for its size and nonmagnetic.
What type of alloy or metal is it? [...]

A few kinds of stainless steel are used in golf club heads (see eg
https://www.hirekogolf.com/clubheads-material-differences) but it
looks like all of those mentioned there (17-4, 431, maraging) are
martensitic and magnetic. Zinc putter heads are mentioned near the
end of the page, and are a good possibility for a $1 putter. Zinc
is a little less dense than iron but significantly softer. If it's
zinc you could easily drill it, or carve shavings off.

--
jiw

Possibly tungsten.
https://www.ebay.com/b/Tungsten-Head...80/bn_65548458

Ed Huntress March 12th 19 12:32 PM

Golf Putter Head Material

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 16:30:12 -0700, MOP CAP wrote:

I recebtly salvagd the shaft from $1 fles market putter for another purpose.
The head is very heavy for its size and nonmagnetic. What type of alloy
or metal is it?
Any ideas?
Thanks,
CP

Lots of them have been made of bronze, which is quite heavy compared
to steel and steel alloys. Its density varies a bit with the alloy but
it's generally around 8.5 g/cm^3 versus 7.7 for steel. Some bronze
alloys, such as gunmetal, do not look like brass.

There also are tungsten-head putters. They're much heavier still --
19.3 g/cm^3 -- alsmot twice as heavy as lead.

--
Ed Huntress