DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Assembling bomber seats for hot rod (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/631185-assembling-bomber-seats-hot-rod.html)

[email protected] February 16th 19 04:19 PM

Assembling bomber seats for hot rod

Im rebuilding a 37 Chevy truck. I found some aluminum bombers seats as a kit that I need to rivet together
Copper tones are in the paint for the exterior and we are wondering about using copper rivets to assemble the seats as an accent
With the corrosive nature of copper and aluminum would this be a viable option or should we stay clear and use aluminum rivets? Considering I live in a dry desert climate in the southwest humidity wont be a factor and the truck interior will stay clean. Could I clear coat over it to protect the metals or would they just react anyway

Clare Snyder February 17th 19 02:57 AM

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 08:19:56 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I’m rebuilding a 37 Chevy truck. I found some aluminum bombers seats as a kit that I need to rivet together
Copper tones are in the paint for the exterior and we are wondering about using copper rivets to assemble the seats as an accent
With the corrosive nature of copper and aluminum would this be a viable option or should we stay clear and use aluminum rivets? Considering I live in a dry desert climate in the southwest humidity won’t be a factor and the truck interior will stay clean. Could I clear coat over it to protect the metals or would they just react anyway

I's clear coat the aluminum, rivet with copper, and clear over -

In a dry climate you will likely get quite a few years even without
the clear

Paul Drahn[_2_] February 17th 19 05:41 AM

On 2/16/2019 6:57 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 08:19:56 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Im rebuilding a 37 Chevy truck. I found some aluminum bombers seats as a kit that I need to rivet together
Copper tones are in the paint for the exterior and we are wondering about using copper rivets to assemble the seats as an accent
With the corrosive nature of copper and aluminum would this be a viable option or should we stay clear and use aluminum rivets? Considering I live in a dry desert climate in the southwest humidity wont be a factor and the truck interior will stay clean. Could I clear coat over it to protect the metals or would they just react anyway

I's clear coat the aluminum, rivet with copper, and clear over -

In a dry climate you will likely get quite a few years even without
the clear

Why not use aluminum rivets? You could even make them yourself out of
aluminum rod.

Paul

Clare Snyder February 17th 19 08:52 PM

Assembling bomber seats for hot rod

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 21:41:21 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

[...]

Aluminum on aluminum is not an "accent"

[email protected] February 17th 19 11:27 PM

Assembling bomber seats for hot rod

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 08:19:56 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I’m rebuilding a 37 Chevy truck. I found some aluminum bombers seats as a kit that I need to rivet together
Copper tones are in the paint for the exterior and we are wondering about using copper rivets to assemble the seats as an accent
With the corrosive nature of copper and aluminum would this be a viable option or should we stay clear and use aluminum rivets? Considering I live in a dry desert climate in the southwest humidity won’t be a factor and the truck interior will stay clean. Could I clear coat over it to protect the metals or would they just react anyway

In a dry climate you probably won't need to worr. But just in case you
can apply special paint to the rivets and/or rivet holes prior to
riveting. There are paints made just for this purpose. I have done
this for aircraft work and had to use special epoxy paint specified by
Boeing. But there are much less expensive epoxy paints and other
paints that will work. Just Google it.
Eric