Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ultrasonic cleaner pinholes

A friend has gifted me a little 100W ultrasonic cleaner (typical Chinese) that he was using to clean brass for reloads.

The cleaning solution (salt, vinegar, dish soap, water) seems to have created pinholes, probably where there were inclusions near the deepest drawn section.

Could this be painted with epoxy paint? Or should I try to TIG a thin SS sheet over the bottom tacking it at a few spots to keep it moving?

--Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"speff" wrote in message
A friend has gifted me a little 100W ultrasonic cleaner (typical
Chinese) that he was using to clean brass for reloads.

The cleaning solution (salt, vinegar, dish soap, water) seems to
have created pinholes, probably where there were inclusions near the
deepest drawn section.

Could this be painted with epoxy paint? Or should I try to TIG a
thin SS sheet over the bottom tacking it at a few spots to keep it
moving?

--Spehro Pefhany

I welded a rust pit leak in a thin stainless (-ish) kettle by backing
the hole with copper. I probably could have done a neater job with a
torch and silver solder but I wanted the TIG practice.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, 14 February 2019 17:35:21 UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"speff" wrote in message
A friend has gifted me a little 100W ultrasonic cleaner (typical
Chinese) that he was using to clean brass for reloads.

The cleaning solution (salt, vinegar, dish soap, water) seems to
have created pinholes, probably where there were inclusions near the
deepest drawn section.

Could this be painted with epoxy paint? Or should I try to TIG a
thin SS sheet over the bottom tacking it at a few spots to keep it
moving?

--Spehro Pefhany

I welded a rust pit leak in a thin stainless (-ish) kettle by backing
the hole with copper. I probably could have done a neater job with a
torch and silver solder but I wanted the TIG practice.

-jsw

Thanks, backing it with copper is a good idea.

--Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 12:55:00 -0800 (PST), speff
wrote:

A friend has gifted me a little 100W ultrasonic cleaner (typical Chinese) that he was using to clean brass for reloads.

The cleaning solution (salt, vinegar, dish soap, water) seems to have created pinholes, probably where there were inclusions near the deepest drawn section.

Could this be painted with epoxy paint? Or should I try to TIG a thin SS sheet over the bottom tacking it at a few spots to keep it moving?

--Spehro Pefhany

Greetings Spehro,
Years ago my mom asked me to weld repair a hole in a stainless
bowl. The bowl could have been replaced with a similar one for 20 or
30 bucks but it was one she used all the time for cooking and since I
could weld and had a fancy TIG machine and a machine shop, and it was
my mom after all, I said sure.
When I started welding the stainless started to kind of vaporize.
My welder has a 1 to 10 amp range and I turned the starting current
way down but the pinhole just kept getting bigger.
The metal had started to corrode between the inside and outside of
the bowl so there were two layers with corrosion products in between.
I ended up using a .125 diameter carbide burr to remove the
corroded area the result of which was a hole about 3/8 in diameter.
Then carefully closed up the hole by welding around the edges of the
hole until the bowl was solid again.
After using coarse sanding discs on the right angle die grinder to
smooth out the welded area and bring the metal back to the original
thickness I switched to finer sanding discs and then to scotch-brite
discs so that the welded area looked like the rest of the bowl, only
shinier.
I told my mom it was a quick job. She still uses that bowl and it's
been about 20 years since I fixed it.
Anyway, be prepared for corrosion like I saw.
Another poster mentioned copper backing, which is a good idea.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A friend has gifted me a little 100W ultrasonic cleaner (typical Chinese) that he was using to clean brass for reloads.

The cleaning solution (salt, vinegar, dish soap, water) seems to have created pinholes, probably where there were inclusions near the deepest drawn section.

Could this be painted with epoxy paint? Or should I try to TIG a thin SS sheet over the bottom tacking it at a few spots to keep it moving?

--Spehro Pefhany

Take it down and have it sprayed with bed liner

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

speff wrote:

A friend has gifted me a little 100W ultrasonic cleaner (typical Chinese) that he was using to clean brass for reloads.

The cleaning solution (salt, vinegar, dish soap, water) seems to have created pinholes, probably where there were inclusions near the deepest drawn section.

Could this be painted with epoxy paint? Or should I try to TIG a thin SS sheet over the bottom tacking it at a few spots to keep it moving?

I would try putting a blob of RTV Silicon on the backside and see what
happens. Providing of course you can get to the back...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 3:55:02 PM UTC-5, speff wrote:
A friend has gifted me a little 100W ultrasonic cleaner (typical Chinese) that he was using to clean brass for reloads.

The cleaning solution (salt, vinegar, dish soap, water) seems to have created pinholes, probably where there were inclusions near the deepest drawn section.

Could this be painted with epoxy paint? Or should I try to TIG a thin SS sheet over the bottom tacking it at a few spots to keep it moving?

--Spehro Pefhany

Stainless steel will corrode in stale salt water. If the water has oxygen in it, no problem

I would coat with epoxy and start looking for a SS container to replace the original.. and store the cleaning solution in a separate container when not using the cleaner.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 3:55:02 PM UTC-5, speff wrote:
A friend has gifted me a little 100W ultrasonic cleaner (typical Chinese) that he was using to clean brass for reloads.

I would coat with epoxy and start looking for a SS container to replace the original.. and store the cleaning solution in a separate container when not using the cleaner.

The container is cemented to the ultrasound transducer; it's worth welding/hardsoldering
to repair it.

Cleaning solutions that aren't compatible with stainless should go into a plastic cup,
and lower the cup into the water bath to do the ultrasound. I use oxalic acid for some
cleaning (rust stains) and it's totally nasty if you let it touch stainless.