Old February 11th 19, 01:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Welding" Unknown Pot Metal

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 6:01:51 PM UTC-5, glen walpert wrote:

Actually zinc is routinely flame sprayed in open air. (Vapor deposition
is too slow for anything but very thin coatings anyhow.)

https://acblastingservices.com/zinc-hot-flame-spray/

First hit I found, a bit more searching should turn up details. The
equipment is expensive, but entire bridges have been coated with this
method in corrosive coastal areas where paint has a short lifetime.

Not really practical for the home or small shop unfortunately.

Glen

One company that makes zinc spray equipment is in _Silverdale Washington . They use two miller power supply and feed two zinc wires so the arc is between the two wires and use inert gas to blow the molten zinc to the bit that is being coated. At least that is what I was told. I would like to try using just one wire in a MIG welder. But have not really looked for the wire. I expect the use of two wires reduces wire sticking and jamming.

Dan