Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tapers

Terry - Enco/MSC has a variety of taper to taper tools. Cost wasn't bad if
I remember correctly.

Hul

Terry Coombs wrote:
?? I finally figured out that the reason the drill chuck that came with
my bench top milling machine was so wobbly is the mandrel . The JT taper
is all weird , too loose in the bottom of the hole . And since I like a
challenge (sometimes) I decided to fix it . BUT FIRST before I go
screwing up a serviceable though ****ty part , I figured I needed to
make sure I can recut that taper . So out of the corner comes the home
made taper attachment - which I used exactly once before today . After
an entire afternoon of adjusting and cutting and adjusting ... I finally
got it dialed in and made a successful taper on some scrap stock . I did
try making very light cuts on the mandrel , but ran out of length before
I got it quite right . Now I have 2 ways I can go , I can build up the
taper with the TIG welder , or I can machine a bit off the bottom of the
R8 section of the mandrel to get a little more length . I'm concerned
about warpage if I weld it , but can chuck it in the 4 jaw and dial it
in to relocate the center hole in the taper if it doesn't run true . If
I machine some off , I have about a quarter inch at the bottom of the R8
taper that's cylindrical before the taper starts . I'm not sure that's
going to give me enough length to get the taper right and I'll end up
welding anyway - but without that cylindrical section to dial it in on
the lathe . Or maybe I'll just order a new one on ebay and save this one
for another project ... last time I looked I couldn't find any , this
time there are several choices .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/5/2019 2:21 PM, Hul Tytus wrote:
Terry - Enco/MSC has a variety of taper to taper tools. Cost wasn't bad if
I remember correctly.

Hul

Â* Yeah , I ordered one on ebay for about 12 bucks . Close inspection
revealed that when I cut from left to right the cut was convex , like a
barrel . Just the opposite cutting from r to l , concave . That one did
fit and hold , but it was just the ends that were in contact with the
chuck taper . That's OK though I can use that R8 adapter for another
project on down the line .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 7:44:19 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* Yeah , I ordered one on ebay for about 12 bucks . Close inspection
revealed that when I cut from left to right the cut was convex , like a
barrel . Just the opposite cutting from r to l , concave . That one did
fit and hold , but it was just the ends that were in contact with the
chuck taper . That's OK though I can use that R8 adapter for another
project on down the line .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

Just for grins I did a search on taper attachments and found a web site that had instructions on hand fitting tapers. gadgetbuildir.com/taper

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:
On 2/5/2019 2:21 PM, Hul Tytus wrote:
Terry - Enco/MSC has a variety of taper to taper tools. Cost wasn't bad if
I remember correctly.

Hul

?? Yeah , I ordered one on ebay for about 12 bucks . Close inspection
revealed that when I cut from left to right the cut was convex , like a
barrel . Just the opposite cutting from r to l , concave . That one did
fit and hold , but it was just the ends that were in contact with the
chuck taper . That's OK though I can use that R8 adapter for another
project on down the line .

Â* Well , if you buy the cheapest ... I usually go for somewhere in the
mid-price range , after checking the feedback scores and looking the
item over . If the pics are fuzzy and weird I usually pass , got burned
by fuzzy photos once and that was enough .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Hul Tytus" wrote in message
I've had better luck with Enco/MSC than ebay. All of Asia's
production
rejects seem to go through Ebay.

Hul

I've seen that with electronic components from Amazon too. An order of
"75V" gas discharge tubes tested either under 70V or over 80V and
"50V" Schottky diodes began leaking beyond spec at 48-49V. They are
still useable, just be careful if you don't have or know how to build
the equipment to measure device parameters.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tapers / electronic parts

On Wed, 06 Feb 2019 18:07:51 -0500, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Hul Tytus" wrote ...
I've had better luck with Enco/MSC than ebay. All of Asia's production
rejects seem to go through Ebay.

I've seen that with electronic components from Amazon too. An order of
"75V" gas discharge tubes tested either under 70V or over 80V and "50V"
Schottky diodes began leaking beyond spec at 48-49V. They are still
useable, just be careful if you don't have or know how to build the
equipment to measure device parameters.

I've purchased many electronic parts on ebay and amazon, but prefer
buying from Mouser (or other US companies) when I can. Buying
ATMega328PA's or PB's on ebay, several lots came properly packaged
and worked ok, but after I got a badly packaged lot or two (parts
were stuck down with packing tape and none of them worked) I ordered
from Mouser instead. Actually costs less (eg $1.15-$1.20 vs $1.20 up,
like at https://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine?Keyword=ATMEGA328PB-AU),
parts are in factory packaging and sealed with a moisture indicator, etc.

I don't know what form factor you need for 75V GDT's, but they carry some:
https://www.mouser.com/Circuit-Prote...ubes-GDTs-Gas-
Plasma-Arrestors/_/N-5g3f?P=1yi1tty

--
jiw

tapers Trevor Woodturning 10 December 25th 04 02:39 PM
Question concerning tapers to degrees Ken Sterling Metalworking 5 March 4th 04 10:30 PM
Cinc , L&W spindle tapers? Bill Bright Metalworking 2 December 11th 03 02:03 AM
Separating Morse Tapers John Rumm UK diy 7 September 4th 03 09:14 PM
A tale of woe and a caution re tangless Morse tapers, :( Arch Woodturning 12 August 8th 03 01:53 AM