Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 9 X 20 ENCO/MSC Lathe question

I have an ENCO (now MSC) lathe and the motor drive belt broke. Unlike the v-belt, there does not seem to be an obvious way to loosen the tension and my first attempt to replace the belt resulted in a broken belt. Does anyone have a video or a couple photos showing how I can release tension to install new belt?

It is a Chinese 9 X 20 late with the original model number being ENCO 110-0820, but then I have some other model numbers that I think are the MSC numbers: Model CQ6123B and 1100517.

Thanks--

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 09:32:05 -0800 (PST)
"Dave D." wrote:

I have an ENCO (now MSC) lathe and the motor drive belt broke. Unlike the v-belt, there does not seem to be an obvious way to loosen the tension and my first attempt to replace the belt resulted in a broken belt. Does anyone have a video or a couple photos showing how I can release tension to install new belt?

It is a Chinese 9 X 20 late with the original model number being ENCO 110-0820, but then I have some other model numbers that I think are the MSC numbers: Model CQ6123B and 1100517.

Thanks--

Dave

If it looks like this:

https://946e583539399c301dc7-100ffa5...019/458774.jpg

You pull the big knob/lever in the upper left toward the front. The
belt is in the released position in this image.

The Harbor Freight lathe is very similar and the Grizzly g4000.
The Grizzly manual is the nicest. Look he

https://www.grizzly.com:443/products...ch-Lathe/G4000

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi, Leon

Thanks for the quick reply. I am familiar with the lever and how it releases tension on the skinnier v-belt (part #237, shown on P. 57 in the Grizzly manual, which I appreciate your sending me the link to!)€¦.but I am trying to replace the drive belt (#138b). That lever does not seem to release tension for that belt. I had thought maybe I could take off the v-belt and slip the drive belt behind and then just sort of rotate the shaft while sqeezing the drive belt onto its gear, but it just seems too tight.

Maybe Im just missing something€¦.any thoughts?

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 10:26:41 -0800 (PST)
"Dave D." wrote:

Hi, Leon

Thanks for the quick reply. I am familiar with the lever and how it releases tension on the skinnier v-belt (part #237, shown on P. 57 in the Grizzly manual, which I appreciate your sending me the link to!)€¦.but I am trying to replace the drive belt (#138b). That lever does not seem to release tension for that belt. I had thought maybe I could take off the v-belt and slip the drive belt behind and then just sort of rotate the shaft while sqeezing the drive belt onto its gear, but it just seems too tight.

Maybe Im just missing something€¦.any thoughts?

Dave

I would probably take the lazy way out and carefully loosen nut number
206 on page 2 of the Grizzly parts manual for the #203 idler pulley
shaft:

https://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g4000_pl.pdf

That should let the pulley flop around enough to work the belt on.
Other choice is the motor mounts but that would be harder to get lined
back up again or so I think. I had the motor loose on mine when it was
new to get the little rice paper belt to line up and fit. It wasn't
much fun...

FWIW I never run it so slow that I need that cogged belt. I just keep
it on the motor directly using the smallest pulley for 400 rpm

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Thanks much....I'll give it a shot!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave - the machine I use is, like yours, by number an Enco 9x20. It has 2
belts, a v type & flat one. The v can be shifted from speed to speed with
no adjustments by forcing the belt off one channel of one sheave & forcing
on with the other. Sounds like what you are doing. You may have the
tension adjusted too tight. Maybe you need a different length v belt. But,
what you are doing is, by my experience, doable.

Hul

Dave D. wrote:
I have an ENCO (now MSC) lathe and the motor drive belt broke. Unlike the v-belt, there does not seem to be an obvious way to loosen the tension and my first attempt to replace the belt resulted in a broken belt. Does anyone have a video or a couple photos showing how I can release tension to install new belt?

It is a Chinese 9 X 20 late with the original model number being ENCO 110-0820, but then I have some other model numbers that I think are the MSC numbers: Model CQ6123B and 1100517.

Thanks--

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 4:22:21 PM UTC-7, Hul Tytus wrote:
[...]

Hi, Hul--I'm actually trying to replace the flat one. The v-belts I can do, but the flat one is toast and I can't quite figure out how to loosen tension enough to put it on. I'm going to try Leon's idea of loosening a nut.....if I can find that nut. If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em! Thanks!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave - a possibility: remove the v belt; remove the retaining ring holding
the v belt/flat belt pulley & slide the pulley off the shaft. Now put the
replacement flat belt around the motor pulley & shaft for the combination
pulley and slide the pulley on the shaft and within the flat belt. Ought
to work...

Hul

Dave D. wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave - from the looks of the drive mechanism, the motor need be moved up
or down. And again from the looks of it, it's a messy job. If you find an
easier way, let me know.

Hul

Dave D. wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 21:59:31 +0000 (UTC)
Hul Tytus wrote:

Dave - from the looks of the drive mechanism, the motor need be moved up
or down. And again from the looks of it, it's a messy job. If you find an
easier way, let me know.

Hul

Agreed. I don't know of any other way either. The motor can be shimmed
(washers) some and slid a little back and forth. You have to watch and
make sure the pulley/shiv stays parallel with the other pulleys it
works with too. Lots of fun getting it all tightened back up square with
it squirming around at the same time...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

J&L MSC 25% off Karl Townsend Metalworking 3 May 30th 09 05:16 AM
MSC buys J&L AL Metalworking 8 April 4th 06 04:39 AM
Darn MSC AL Metalworking 3 March 20th 06 05:15 PM
MSC Ships me a Toolbox (Tale of Woe) B.B. Metalworking 11 January 10th 06 07:21 PM
Value of McMaster, MSC et al catalogs rashid111 Metalworking 3 July 10th 05 08:08 AM