Old January 15th 19, 08:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is this 4 axis set up called?

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 21:25:56 +0800, JimmyMcGill wrote:

Hey does anyone know what the correct name for this 4 axis set up is
called and possibly who makes it?

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/what-is-the-name-of-this-5-axis-positioning-tool/?action=dlattach;attach=617821;image

Its a Palmgren unit.

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Old January 16th 19, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2019-01-14, Paul K. Dickman wrote:
wrote in message
On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 11:01:39 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:
On 14 Jan 2019 01:57:30 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2019-01-13, JimmyMcGill wrote:
Hey does anyone know what the correct name for this 4 axis set up is
called and possibly who makes it?

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/what-is-the-name-of-this-5-axis-positioning-tool/?action=dlattach;attach=617821;image

It looks to me like a combination of a milling attachment for a
lathe (the vertical part replaces the compound), and a 2-axis X-Y table
missing the table top.

[ ... ]

Those are Atlases.
They use the same castings and dovetail sizes on several different
assemblies.
Someone frankensteined a 10" lathe milling attachment to the top of an X-Y
table that they removed the table from. They might have had to add a cross
slide from the 10" into the mix. I don't remember if the X-Y table had a
swivel.

The X-Y table which I had/"have somewhere" has a swivel. Loosen
two Allen-head cap screws, and it rotates. I can't swear whether it is
Atlas or not, as it was quite old when I got it.

Paul K. Dickman

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Old January 19th 19, 05:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2019-01-13, JimmyMcGill wrote:
Hey does anyone know what the correct name for this 4 axis set up is
called and possibly who makes it?

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/what-is-the-name-of-this-5-axis-positioning-tool/?action=dlattach;attach=617821;image

It looks to me like a combination of a milling attachment for a
lathe (the vertical part replaces the compound), and a 2-axis X-Y table
missing the table top.

Is it sure that the same company made both parts? The bottom
(X-Y) part looks like something which Sears sold way back when.

Note that the handwheel on the vertical leadscrew is different
from those on the X and Y axes.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Looks like some kind of Rube Goldberg setup of some sort - - -
I'm thinking at leeast 2 more or less unrelated tools fastened
together.

Someone must have left them alone together in the shop for too long.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross
Old January 23rd 19, 12:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A torus is 4 dimension so you need more axis than 3.
Many shapes - saddles are multiple dimensions. Saddles are not just for
horses but holds pipe and rods. All sorts of shapes require more than
an old fashioned 3.

Try to mill a Propeller with a 3 axis - have the 3 blades cut in their
complex shape.

Martin

Old January 23rd 19, 03:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 7:30:09 PM UTC-5, Martin Eastburn wrote:
A torus is 4 dimension so you need more axis than 3.

It's not "4 dimension," but you need an additional half-axis (a rotary indexed"flip" to machine the back side of the donut) to machine it with a conventional machine tool. It could be machined, theoretically, with a 3-axis CNC EDM and a disk-shaped electrode, depending on the relative diameter of the hole in the torus. Actually, with a weirdly shaped electrode, you could do it regardless of hole size.

Many shapes - saddles are multiple dimensions.

No.

Saddles are not just for
horses but holds pipe and rods.

Saddles (hyperbolic paraboloids) are widely used for roofs in architecture. The shape can be milled with a conventional 3-axis mill with continuous-contouring capability and somebody who can program in something more than ordinary shop math.

A really interesting thing about saddles is that they can be *lapped* by hand. In fact, they sometimes are, when someone tries to do the three-flat lapping trick to make flat surfaces, and they screw up the rotation sequence. Surprise! You made a hyperbolic paraboloid without even trying! g

All sorts of shapes require more than
an old fashioned 3.

Try to mill a Propeller with a 3 axis - have the 3 blades cut in their
complex shape.

Again 3 axis and a 180-degree rotary flip of the fixture. That may not be an efficient way to do it, but it can be done.

Martin

On 1/13/2019 7:25 AM, JimmyMcGill wrote:
Hey does anyone know what the correct name for this 4 axis set up is
called and possibly who makes it?

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/what-is-the-name-of-this-5-axis-positioning-tool/?action=dlattach;attach=617821;image

--
Ed Huntress