Old January 14th 19, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Concrete, steel, or ?

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 15:12:55 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 11:12:14 AM UTC-8, amdx wrote:

I think a 20 ft chain link fence, lay [concertina barbed wire]...

. Boarder guards to keep watch for
anyone trying to use equipment to breach.

That's a huge manpower sink for a border that hasn't been a military
problem since Pancho Villa rode. I'd propose a trial at the N Dakota/S Dakota border
first, to see if it stops invasion forces there.

It might be noted that the walls that have been successful from The
Great Wall of China to Hadrian's Wall to the Israeli Wall all had/have
one thing in common. they had/have troops assigned to them to prevent
"outsiders" from crossing the wall. And, I suspect that method of
deterring wall crossers was/is "kill 'em".

Cheers,
John B.

Old January 14th 19, 04:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 11:12:14 AM UTC-8, amdx wrote:

I think a 20 ft chain link fence, lay [concertina barbed wire]...

. Boarder guards to keep watch for
anyone trying to use equipment to breach.

That's a huge manpower sink for a border that hasn't been a military
problem since Pancho Villa rode. I'd propose a trial at the N Dakota/S
Dakota border
first, to see if it stops invasion forces there.

It might be noted that the walls that have been successful from The
Great Wall of China to Hadrian's Wall to the Israeli Wall all had/have
one thing in common. they had/have troops assigned to them to prevent
"outsiders" from crossing the wall. And, I suspect that method of
deterring wall crossers was/is "kill 'em".

Cheers,
John B.

Constructing a wall made of spent nuclear fuel rods would
solve the manpower problem.

Best Regards.
Tom.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old January 14th 19, 04:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 08:25:51 +0700, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 15:12:55 -0800 (PST), whit3rd wrote:
On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 11:12:14 AM UTC-8, amdx wrote:
I think a 20 ft chain link fence, lay [concertina barbed wire]...
Boarder guards to keep watch for
anyone trying to use equipment to breach.

That's a huge manpower sink for a border that hasn't been a military
problem since Pancho Villa rode. I'd propose a trial at the N Dakota/S
Dakota border first, to see if it stops invasion forces there.

But in the case of amdx's suggestion, it might not take all that many
people. Presumably you'd need only a few boarder guards per boat,
and there aren't so many boats on the Mexican border as to be a problem.

It might be noted that the walls that have been successful from The
Great Wall of China to Hadrian's Wall to the Israeli Wall all had/have
one thing in common. they had/have troops assigned to them to prevent
"outsiders" from crossing the wall. And, I suspect that method of
deterring wall crossers was/is "kill 'em".

Maybe, maybe not. Back in August 2001, I read a newspaper article
that said "South Dakota put a giant fence around the whole state to
keep these tourists out, and STILL they keep coming", and went on to
suggest that even tourists getting killed by cold soon after arriving
wasn't enough to keep them out.

Here's a little more from that article: "People have such an instant
thing about how North Dakota is cold and snowy and flat. ... In
contrast, South Dakota is universally believed to be a tropical
paradise with palm trees swaying on surf-kissed beaches. Millions of
tourists, lured by the word 'South', flock to South Dakota every
winter, often wearing nothing but skimpy bathing suits. Within hours,
most of them die and become covered with snow, not to be found until
spring, when they cause a major headache for South Dakota's farmers
by clogging up the cultivating machines. South Dakota put a giant
fence around the whole state to keep these tourists out, and STILL
they keep coming. That's how powerful a name can be."

Note, some of the facts in that article are a bit out of date --
what with climate change, the "covered with snow" part probably
is no longer true.

I think I got the central facts from the article (which was
syndicated to lots of newspapers) as they apply to this ND/SD
border fence topic, but for those interested the article also has
numerous facts about North Dakota's image and attempts to improve
it. https://www.miamiherald.com/living/l...gs/dave-barry/
article1934484.html

--
jiw
Old January 14th 19, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 04:32:41 -0000 (UTC), James Waldby
wrote:

[...]

Is Dave Barry an authority on fences :-)

Cheers,
John B.

Old January 19th 19, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 19:48:34 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Bob LaFrance on Sat, 12 Jan 2019 16:10:47
-0800 (PST) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Sorry if I strike a political cord without meaning to. I heard that the latest plan may be to build a steel wall,fence,barrier.... on the southern border. I would think that would be easy to deconstruct with a plasma cutter. I'm guessing that many of you have thought along these same lines.

Add "plasma cutters will go through it" to the list of excuses.

They can dig tunnels under it, you know.

They can launch people on trampolines, too.

Catapults.

Hang gliders.

Teleportations not that far off.

We need to send them all back via trebuchets which could land them
several miles back inside their borders.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross

Old January 19th 19, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 06:18:08 -0800 (PST), Bob LaFrance
wrote:

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 7:35:09 AM UTC-5, Gunner Asch wrote:

wrote:

Bob LaFrance on Sat, 12 Jan 2019 16:10:47
-0800 (PST) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Sorry if I strike a political cord without meaning to. I heard that the latest plan may be to build a steel wall,fence,barrier.... on the southern border. I would think that would be easy to deconstruct with a plasma cutter. I'm guessing that many of you have thought along these same lines.

Add "plasma cutters will go through it" to the list of excuses.

They can dig tunnels under it, you know.

They can launch people on trampolines, too.

Catapults.

Hang gliders.

Teleportations not that far off.
:-)
But I believe that there is a history of tunnels having been dug to
cross the border.

cheers,

John B.

There has indeed. However..one of the additions to the "fence" is
sysmic detection units. They are quite easy to place..its a well
proven technology. Think of it as a form of "land sonar"

The tunnels have been dug in the basements of houses in urban areas to
other urban areas across the border. Having it in the middle of
bum**** nowhere is too easy to spot via drone.

Yes, there are novel ways of detecting human traffic out in the
open. I have joked in the past of machine gun turrets accessed by the internet with a credit card. To be a little more realistic I would think that perhaps stationing guards every so often, atop the wall, with some of these advanced intrusion detection schemes (video, sound, motion, IR...) might play. These invaders are clever so the cat and mouse game will go on. Of course if you lop off a finger and launch the invader back over the wall with the Mexi-pult you find fewer repeat offenders.

I like it! They need to be made aware that it is not a good thing to
invade us.

Old January 19th 19, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 20:15:20 -0800, "Howard Beel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Recidivism would end shortly thereafter, too, saving us $110B per
year.

Old January 19th 19, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Hilarious. Thanks for both.