DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sanding belts for steel/iron (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/627205-sanding-belts-steel-iron.html)

Terry Coombs[_2_] December 17th 18 11:57 PM

Sanding belts for steel/iron

Â* As my study of blacksmith practices goes on , I find I'm probably
going to be doing some metal removal with my belt sander . It's a pretty
nice P-C variable speed unit , 3x21 with a dust bag - which I will
remove while grinding anything ferrous . I burned more than one bag up
while working in the cabinet shops , just takes one unexpected nail .
I'm now wondering if the more expensive zirconia belts are that much
better than the standard Al oxide belts I use for wood , or if what I
have is going to work . ISTR that the ones for wood neither work nor
last well when used on steel , but it's been a while and they may have
improved since I last used them for that . I'm looking for
recommendations ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Bob La Londe[_7_] December 18th 18 01:09 AM

On 12/17/2018 4:57 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
As my study of blacksmith practices goes on , I find I'm probably

going to be doing some metal removal with my belt sander . It's a pretty
nice P-C variable speed unit , 3x21 with a dust bag - which I will
remove while grinding anything ferrous . I burned more than one bag up
while working in the cabinet shops , just takes one unexpected nail .
I'm now wondering if the more expensive zirconia belts are that much
better than the standard Al oxide belts I use for wood , or if what I
have is going to work . ISTR that the ones for wood neither work nor
last well when used on steel , but it's been a while and they may have
improved since I last used them for that . I'm looking for
recommendations ...

I have some Zirconia belts for my 1x30. For most things I leave them in
the drawer, but when I need to really remove some material, particularly
on a little harder steel, they are what I reach for first.

[email protected] December 18th 18 01:52 AM

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 6:57:05 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Eric should post about 3M cubitron abrasives. I bought some cubitron disks on his recommendation and they work great. They make 3 by 21 belts in cubitron.
But you might also consider buying a HF 4.5 inch angle grinder and some Cubitron flap disks. Do a search on " Cubitron reviews ".

Dan

Jim Wilkins[_2_] December 18th 18 02:25 AM

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
[...]

Are there any custom bladesmiths in your area you could ask, who might
let you try theirs?

I did and was very impressed with his custom variable speed 2"
machine, though I can grind pretty smooth and straight with concave
dish wheels on my 7" angle grinder. I used it to flatten a
welding-warped gas engine mounting plate to within 0.002", measured
with feeler gauges.
-jsw

Jim Wilkins[_2_] December 18th 18 02:53 AM

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ................
Are there any custom bladesmiths in your area you could ask, who
might let you try theirs?

I did and was very impressed with his custom variable speed 2"
machine,

The belts he uses are "structured ceramic".

Terry Coombs[_2_] December 18th 18 03:09 AM

On 12/17/2018 7:52 PM, wrote:
[...]

Â*I have a pretty decent 4" angle grinder . What I really need is a
decent belt/disc sander , but right now I got nowhere to put it . I've
begun the initial phase of constructing more space , but it'll be a
while before it's ready . I did look at those cubitron belts , 4 bucks a
belt isn't all that high ... might be that the local Ace carries flap
discs and I'll be there for other stuff tomorrow so I'll check .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Terry Coombs[_2_] December 18th 18 03:17 AM

On 12/17/2018 8:53 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ................
Are there any custom bladesmiths in your area you could ask, who
might let you try theirs?

I did and was very impressed with his custom variable speed 2"
machine,

The belts he uses are "structured ceramic".

Â* Several bladesmiths around , but none I know well enough to ask to
use their tools ... Dan suggested cubitron belts , I can afford 20 bucks
for a pack of 5 to try them out .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Jim Wilkins[_2_] December 18th 18 01:51 PM

Sanding belts for steel/iron

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
On 12/17/2018 8:53 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Are there any custom bladesmiths in your area you could ask, who
might let you try theirs?

I did and was very impressed with his custom variable speed 2"
machine,

The belts he uses are "structured ceramic".

Several bladesmiths around , but none I know well enough to ask to
use their tools ... Dan suggested cubitron belts , I can afford 20
bucks for a pack of 5 to try them out .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

I had paid him for lessons and forged a froe blade from a leaf spring,
then ground down the hammer marks with each of the tools he and I had
to compare them and see if mine were adequate for hobby use. My 7"
angle grinder with a dish wheel was a close second to his 2" belt
sander for roughing the long blade smooth, straight and nearly to
shape but not as good at the ends, where I can use my 1" x 30" belt
sander to achieve results that are functional if not pretty.

Unlike a disk the dish wheel doesn't wear out of shape and guides
itself to cut the surface straighter and flatter.

The 2" belt in his skilled hands was -much- better for final shaping
and finishing of custom blades to sell. It has a platen (backing
plate ) with an angle-adjustable guide table for flats and an
unsupported freehand area for curves, and variable speed to avoid
burning sharp edges.

The common name for them is "square wheel".

-jsw

[email protected] December 18th 18 05:00 PM

Sanding belts for steel/iron

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 21:17:17 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 12/17/2018 8:53 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ................
Are there any custom bladesmiths in your area you could ask, who
might let you try theirs?

I did and was very impressed with his custom variable speed 2"
machine,

The belts he uses are "structured ceramic".

* Several bladesmiths around , but none I know well enough to ask to
use their tools ... Dan suggested cubitron belts , I can afford 20 bucks
for a pack of 5 to try them out .

I have niot yet tried Cubitron belts but the flap discs are great. Cut
faster for longer than any other flap discs I have used.
Eric

Gunner Asch[_6_] December 27th 18 01:44 AM

Sanding belts for steel/iron

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 17:57:57 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* As my study of blacksmith practices goes on , I find I'm probably
going to be doing some metal removal with my belt sander . It's a pretty
nice P-C variable speed unit , 3x21 with a dust bag - which I will
remove while grinding anything ferrous . I burned more than one bag up
while working in the cabinet shops , just takes one unexpected nail .
I'm now wondering if the more expensive zirconia belts are that much
better than the standard Al oxide belts I use for wood , or if what I
have is going to work . ISTR that the ones for wood neither work nor
last well when used on steel , but it's been a while and they may have
improved since I last used them for that . I'm looking for
recommendations ...

You are going to be sanding flats or would a vertical sander be
better?

Zirconia belts ARE much better than AO media..btw.

Btw..might I suggest the best source for belts and disks?

http://barbkat.com/

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Larry Jaques[_4_] December 30th 18 04:34 AM

wrote:

* As my study of blacksmith practices goes on , I find I'm probably
going to be doing some metal removal with my belt sander . It's a pretty
nice P-C variable speed unit , 3x21 with a dust bag - which I will
remove while grinding anything ferrous . I burned more than one bag up
while working in the cabinet shops , just takes one unexpected nail .
I'm now wondering if the more expensive zirconia belts are that much
better than the standard Al oxide belts I use for wood , or if what I
have is going to work . ISTR that the ones for wood neither work nor
last well when used on steel , but it's been a while and they may have
improved since I last used them for that . I'm looking for
recommendations ...

I've only bought the Ebay-cheap-but-more-expensive Zirconia belts in
1" and 3" widths, but they have been well worth the extra expense,
lasting 4x the life of the others. Light pressure extends them, but
they'll outlast Alox even with rough use.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross