Old December 15th 18, 03:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Socket for old shower valve bonnet needed

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 17:18:34 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

There are photos at
http://www.zefox.net/~bp/shower_valve/
in case anyone's curious.

I was curios why "valve_1.jpg" reminded me of my dial-up days.;-)
2.8 MB verses ~150 KB... Nice wrench though, a bit crude, but made
of metal!
--
William

Old December 16th 18, 02:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

There are photos at
http://www.zefox.net/~bp/shower_valve/
in case anyone's curious.

I was curios why "valve_1.jpg" reminded me of my dial-up days.;-)

Just a matter of hoping the higher resolution might be helpful.

2.8 MB verses ~150 KB... Nice wrench though, a bit crude, but made
of metal!

You are being too polite. It fact it's _very_ crude
and took only a few minutes to make. I think it might
be strong enough as-is, but if not a much stronger
example can be made in little more time once material
is in-hand. Say, 7/8" ID by 1" OD DOM steel. I'm somewhat
fearful of needing a wrench that strong. Number one on
my list of things to avoid is damaging the pipes in the
wall.

The wrench had to be metal, to keep this thread on topic 8-)

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Old December 16th 18, 05:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 17:18:34 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

Hul Tytus wrote:
If you have a socket with flat to flat distance suitable for the shower,
remove the unwanted flats with a bench grinder. Handy tools, those.

Rather than butcher a good deep socket I decided to try making one out
of steel tubing. The valve bonnet needn't be extremely tight since it
seals with gaskets (though of course it could be siezed) and in any case
the valve is suspended on the piping, which won't take a whole lot of
torque no matter how strong the socket is.

It turned out to be surprisingly easy to craft a socket out of 3/4"
thinwall conduit, flaring the tube on the horn of an anvil and hammering
in the flats. If it proves weaker than the piping support making a
stronger socket out of better-quality tubing promises to be quite easy.

Very similar to my solution to second son wanting a better tool to
operate the spare tire winch on his 2010 Grand Carravan. What was
required was a 1/2" sq. drive extension with a female end on both
ends. I took a length of 1/2" EMT and worked a modified 1/2' square
bar into each end -took all of ten minutes.

Perhaps this is why nobody bothers to sell sockets for this application;
they're easy enough to make. There are photos at
http://www.zefox.net/~bp/shower_valve/
in case anyone's curious.

To my relief (and some embarrassment) it was pointed out to me that the
tile on the back side of the shower wall stops below the shower valves.
If all else fails the valves can be replaced without disturbing the tile.

Thanks for reading, and everyone's counsel!

bob prohaska

Old December 20th 18, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 14:01:39 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 4:43:20 PM UTC-5, bob prohaska wrote:

If I just hammered a pair of flats on a 7/8" ID tube it _might_ work, but
any wrench I can make will be a worse fit and weaker than the worst wrench
I'm likely to buy. If I damage the valve it'll mean taking out tile,
that could easily turn into a bathroom remodel 8-|

Thanks for writing,

bob

If I wore going to make a special tool, I would think about using a deep socket and a nut that fits the socket. And modify the nut by cutting it so it converts the socket to what you need. THen hold the pieces of the nut in the socket with glue

Dan

You will likely have to make your make a tool. Perhaps a piece of
solid round or hex stock and mill a slot in it, then bore a hole in
the center to fit the valve shaft. Be plenty strong at that point.

You might want to take a photo of the valve and ask a plumber or a
plumbing shop if they have the old wrench kicking around you could
rent or borrow.

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Old December 30th 18, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 09:42:38 -0800, "Gary A. Gorgen"
wrote:

On 12/10/2018 12:40 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
I'd like to service a shower valve in a 1957 house with original plumbing.

The bonnet nut uses a round boss 7/8" in diameter with two flats milled
in it about 3/4" apart. It'd be a cinch if the valve stuck out of the wall,
any open-end would fit. Unfortunately it's recessed about an inch behind the
tile, so a socket is reuquired.

All the wrenches I can find fit hex nuts, does anybody know the correct name
for the required tool? From time to time "nuts" like this have crossed my
path, but I've never encountered one used in a position that requires a
socket to grab it.

At this point I don't even know what to look for. Correct terminology would
help a great deal.

Thanks for reading, and any guidance.

bob prohaska

How about long-nose vise grips, maybe with some grinding.
Good use for Harbor Freight tools. :-)

Oh, no no no no no. Don't use HF tools when rigidity, jaw toughness,
or parallelism are required of a tool. I'm a fond user of their
tools, but their vise grips are sh*t.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross