Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is this tool a gimmick or is it actually useful?

I was browsing and searching on amazon for Christmas gifts and somehow this
popped up:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...72JU6D&psc= 1
.. I've never seen one before. It's basically a press brake in pliers form
:-). Makes bends up to 4" long in up to 0.6 mm (0.024") thick material.
Description says "Portable manual metal bender plier tool is mainly used in
bending the material thickness within 0.6mm and width within 100mm iron
edgings, aluminum fiber edge or stainless steel letter edges." What are
fiber or letter edges? Looks cute, but does it have sufficient leverage or
do you need to be the Hulk to squeeze the handles? Can anyone say if it's a
real tool or will it break on the third pull?

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07-Dec-18 10:46 AM, Carl wrote:
I was browsing and searching on amazon for Christmas gifts and somehow
this popped up:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...72JU6D&psc= 1
.Â* I've never seen one before.Â* It's basically a press brake in pliers
form :-).Â* Makes bends up to 4" long in up to 0.6 mm (0.024") thick
material. Description says "Portable manual metal bender plier tool is
mainly used in bending the material thickness within 0.6mm and width
within 100mm iron edgings, aluminum fiber edge or stainless steel letter
edges."Â* What are fiber or letter edges?Â* Looks cute, but does it have
sufficient leverage or do you need to be the Hulk to squeeze the
handles?Â* Can anyone say if it's a real tool or will it break on the
third pull?

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

I think if you 'overloaded' it those vertical linkages that are in
compression would buckle very quickly.

Maybe the letter edges is something to do with signage?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=+letter+edge+bender&t=ffab&atb=v145-6__&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carl" on Thu, 6 Dec 2018 21:46:36
I was browsing and searching on amazon for Christmas gifts and somehow this
popped up:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...72JU6D&psc= 1
. I've never seen one before. It's basically a press brake in pliers form
:-). Makes bends up to 4" long in up to 0.6 mm (0.024") thick material.
Description says "Portable manual metal bender plier tool is mainly used in
bending the material thickness within 0.6mm and width within 100mm iron
edgings, aluminum fiber edge or stainless steel letter edges." What are
fiber or letter edges? Looks cute, but does it have sufficient leverage or
do you need to be the Hulk to squeeze the handles? Can anyone say if it's a
real tool or will it break on the third pull?

If it works, it isn't a gimmick.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 21:46:36 -0500
"Carl" wrote:

I was browsing and searching on amazon for Christmas gifts and somehow this
popped up:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...72JU6D&psc= 1
. I've never seen one before. It's basically a press brake in pliers form
:-). Makes bends up to 4" long in up to 0.6 mm (0.024") thick material.
Description says "Portable manual metal bender plier tool is mainly used in
bending the material thickness within 0.6mm and width within 100mm iron
edgings, aluminum fiber edge or stainless steel letter edges." What are
fiber or letter edges? Looks cute, but does it have sufficient leverage or
do you need to be the Hulk to squeeze the handles? Can anyone say if it's a
real tool or will it break on the third pull?

Interesting and new to me too. One of the other suggested similar
tools has some videos on youtube. They are used to make metal
channel letters for sales, marketing, displays... watch some of the
youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ette r+Bender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxcGp6OX3VA

I suspect it would work okay for those thin metals...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks, guys. Always interesting to learn about new tools and methods.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carl" wrote in message
news
I was browsing and searching on amazon for Christmas gifts and
somehow this popped up:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...72JU6D&psc= 1 .
I've never seen one before. It's basically a press brake in pliers
form :-). Makes bends up to 4" long in up to 0.6 mm (0.024") thick
material. Description says "Portable manual metal bender plier tool
is mainly used in bending the material thickness within 0.6mm and
width within 100mm iron edgings, aluminum fiber edge or stainless
steel letter edges." What are fiber or letter edges? Looks cute,
but does it have sufficient leverage or do you need to be the Hulk to
squeeze the handles? Can anyone say if it's a real tool or will it
break on the third pull?

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

It looks like it would be useful up on a ladder fitting flashing to a
window etc, or making large raised letters for a sign. The open end
lets it clear previous up or down bends, like folding a box.

For electronic chassis work I think its max of 0.024" is too light.
I've used 0.032" aluminum for small boxes but hand pressure can deform
it.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 09:45:27 -0500
"Carl" wrote:

Thanks, guys. Always interesting to learn about new tools and methods.

You too, thanks for pointing it out. I'll remember it if and when I
need something like that

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk on Fri, 7 Dec 2018 08:26:40 -0400
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 21:46:36 -0500
"Carl" wrote:

[...]

Which is what it appears to be made for: on the job tweaks of thin
stock.

Beats having to haul a pressbrake out to the jobsite.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 07 Dec 2018 07:48:12 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Leon Fisk on Fri, 7 Dec 2018 08:26:40 -0400
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 21:46:36 -0500
"Carl" wrote:

[...]

Interesting and new to me too. One of the other suggested similar
tools has some videos on youtube. They are used to make metal
channel letters for sales, marketing, displays... watch some of the
youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ette r+Bender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxcGp6OX3VA

I suspect it would work okay for those thin metals...

Which is what it appears to be made for: on the job tweaks of thin
stock.

Beats having to haul a pressbrake out to the jobsite.

If you didn't already... watch the video in the second link, at least
some of it. Not that long. The dude really cooks, making letter shapes
with a similar tool ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 08:26:40 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 21:46:36 -0500
"Carl" wrote:

[...]

That Blackstone bender looked a lot more heavy duty, and you could see
that he used a bar in the end for leverage on the heavier metal.

(That H-E product might require gorilla hands for 4" stock, Carl.)

I have a magnetic, vise-jaw-mounted v-bender which works alright for
small and narrow items.
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,43456,43407

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross