Old December 8th 18, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Compressors - kinda on topic !

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
I may have a similar problem with my small lathe. It quit yesterday.
Had a couple slow starts where I pushed it with the collet closer
handle to get it going, and now nothing. The fact that its nothing
"not even a hum" mkes me wonder of the on/direction switch is bad.
Fortunately I had radiused just enough alignment pins for the
projects that were finishing yesterday.

I made a short 12 AWG type SO extension cord with some of the outer
insulation removed to diagnose motor problems with a clamp-on ammeter.
It helps to measure how much they draw before they break.

Old December 11th 18, 04:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
I may have a similar problem with my small lathe. It quit yesterday. Had a
couple slow starts where I pushed it with the collet closer handle to get
it going, and now nothing. The fact that its nothing "not even a hum" mkes
me wonder of the on/direction switch is bad. Fortunately I had radiused
just enough alignment pins for the projects that were finishing yesterday.

I made a short 12 AWG type SO extension cord with some of the outer
insulation removed to diagnose motor problems with a clamp-on ammeter.
It helps to measure how much they draw before they break.

****************

All fixed. There was a terminal block on the motor that looked like white
ceramic. When I unscrewed it from the motor case it just disintegrated.
There were two wires that were broken at that point. Its seems that the
terminal block may have been holding them in contact without a good
mechanical connection for some time. I put it back together with (yuck)
butt splices. The wire stubs coming out of the motor were so short nothing
else would work. They were so short I had to use one tool for stripping
with forward strippers and another tool for crimping with forward crimpers.
It works again.

Old December 12th 18, 12:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 09:45:34 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

Ouch! At least now you have some time to source a replacement. Sounds
like one will be needed at some point.
Old December 12th 18, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

***********
Actually I was going to throw a small 3 phase motor on it with a VFD for
more speed control, but I don't have a spare 120V/240V VFD and I don't have
240V handy where that lathe is located. I'll have to put some on my keep
an eye out list.

Old December 16th 18, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2018-12-08, Bob La Londe wrote:
I may have a similar problem with my small lathe. It quit yesterday. Had a
couple slow starts where I pushed it with the collet closer handle to get it
going, and now nothing. The fact that its nothing "not even a hum" mkes me
wonder of the on/direction switch is bad. Fortunately I had radiused just
enough alignment pins for the projects that were finishing yesterday.

The lack of hum may be a function of how big a motor, and where
it happens to have stopped.

But given the slow starts, you very likely have let the smoke
out of the start capacitor.

I had that problem with a 1-1/2 HP motor, wired for 120 VAC
operation. Slow starts when belted for high speed, and occasional
tripping of the circuit breaker for that outlet. After it blew I
replaced the starting cap, re-wired the motor and switch for 240 VAC
operation, and connected it to a 240 VAC outlet, and it has worked well
ever since. (Some of these days, I'll swap in a 3-phase motor and a
VFD so I get variable speed as well, without having to shift belts all
the time. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Old December 16th 18, 04:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 16 Dec 2018 02:38:14 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

On 2018-12-08, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I've got a DC motor and speed control I've been promising myself I'll
install on my Myford Super Seven some day - It's been gathering dust
beside the lathe for several years now - - -
Old December 17th 18, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2018-12-08, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

*****************
Actually there were some bad connections at a little terminal block on the
motor. The terminal block looked like white ceramic, but crumbled like
dried paste. There were actually two wires that were no longer connected
when I lifted the crumbling block of paste away from the motor. There was
so little wire sticking out of the motor the only way to repair the was to
use butt splices. I had to use front cutting wire strippers, and front
crimping crimpers.

Next time it fails my plan (like you) is to throw a small 3 phase motor on
the lathe with a VFD. To keep it 110V I'll use one of those little 1HP 110V
in 220V out Hitachis (or similar). Its got a 3/4 hp motor on it now. Its
so old the motor was made in Taiwan, not China. In fact its so old it says
Repubic of China. I hve a couple 3/4HP 3phase motoros on the shelf I picked
up somewhere that would do. A 2 pole and a 4 pole. Figured the 4 pole
would be ideal. I've never really had a power issue on that small lathe.
The rigidity of the machine limits me somewhat. I want to keep it 110V
because It’s a finished wall where I plan to leave the machine, and I don't
have 220V to that location.