DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Is It Still Stupid If It Works (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/625939-still-stupid-if-works.html)

Bob La Londe[_7_] November 28th 18 11:05 PM

Is It Still Stupid If It Works

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/att...4&d=1543445597

Don't know yet if it worked.

Jim Wilkins[_2_] November 28th 18 11:29 PM

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/att...4&d=1543445597

Don't know yet if it worked.

Mine is a no-name copy of this more rigid and compact 5C indexer on an
angle plate:
https://www.kalamazooind.com/product...exing-fixture/

I milled the base of a second indexer parallel to fit securely in the
milling vise, to hold the work horizontal for cross-drilling or
cutting hex wrench flats.

Bob La Londe[_7_] November 29th 18 01:12 AM

On 11/28/2018 4:29 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/att...4&d=1543445597

Don't know yet if it worked.

Mine is a no-name copy of this more rigid and compact 5C indexer on an
angle plate:

https://www.kalamazooind.com/product...exing-fixture/

I milled the base of a second indexer parallel to fit securely in the
milling vise, to hold the work horizontal for cross-drilling or
cutting hex wrench flats.

Nice.

I just have two of those cheap spindexers. I can get them straight
enough bolting them to the table, but it takes a while. I'm hoping for
non-critical jobs I can just throw them in the mill vises (have two on
the table of that machine) facing each other to support round stock that
needs a lot of holes drilled. I'm a little to OCD to be lining up a
pair of import mill vises all the time after taking them off. LOL.

Just got the vises back on the table. A pair of six inchers about 5
inches apart. The first one landed on the table within half thousandth
of square. Unfortunately the hard jaw has a 4 tenths bow so I fiddled
with it for 20 minutes. LOL. The second one wasn't even close. Got it
closed and spent another half hour getting it square and in line. Now I
have about 6 tenths out of square over 17 inches. It might be a hair
better. Doesn't really matter. I use soft jaws and skim cut them (step
in the bottom for clearance so I can) square in place anyway.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll find out if I made those indexers easier to use or
if I was just spinning my wheels.

By the way, it was somebody in this group who suggested the setup I used
to mill them square. Set the cylinder on a pair of parallels and clamp
the foot to a right angle block. Then mill both sides of both indexers
to the same machine height. I hope it worked. If not I can always just
bolt them to the table and break out the indicator and the brass hammer
like I did before.