Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Great shop tip for us old farts

Well, I find myself more unstable on my feet now so I need to be
careful! I have big "C"- clamps tightened on the edges and corners of
my workbench and on shelving units and on other things like my drill
press. So anywhere I walk in the shop there is a nearby handhold
readily available. In some places I have clamped a short length of 2x4
in place. All this has saved me a tumble or two. sucks to get old and
deteriorate!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 09:02:30 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

Well, I find myself more unstable on my feet now so I need to be
careful! I have big "C"- clamps tightened on the edges and corners of
my workbench and on shelving units and on other things like my drill
press. So anywhere I walk in the shop there is a nearby handhold
readily available. In some places I have clamped a short length of 2x4
in place. All this has saved me a tumble or two. sucks to get old and
deteriorate!

Gotsk ta gitcherself a set of glittery pink training wheels/rolling
baby walker, Tawm. Make 'em up right there in the shop. YeeeeHaw!
Something simple like this: https://is.gd/VY9p1u

Sure beats falling on hard ****. Condolences.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2018-10-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
Well, I find myself more unstable on my feet now so I need to be
careful! I have big "C"- clamps tightened on the edges and corners of
my workbench and on shelving units and on other things like my drill
press. So anywhere I walk in the shop there is a nearby handhold
readily available. In some places I have clamped a short length of 2x4
in place. All this has saved me a tumble or two. sucks to get old and
deteriorate!

Glad you are still around!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Well, I find myself more unstable on my feet now so I need to be
careful! I have big "C"- clamps tightened on the edges and corners of
my workbench and on shelving units and on other things like my drill
press. So anywhere I walk in the shop there is a nearby handhold
readily available. In some places I have clamped a short length of 2x4
in place. All this has saved me a tumble or two. sucks to get old and
deteriorate!

Gotsk ta gitcherself a set of glittery pink training wheels/rolling
baby walker, Tawm. Make 'em up right there in the shop. YeeeeHaw!
Something simple like this: https://is.gd/VY9p1u

Sure beats falling on hard ****. Condolences.

Tom's shop is too crowded for one of them A sky hook connected to
his suspenders would work better - - - - -
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 08:18:15 -0500

On 2018-10-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
Well, I find myself more unstable on my feet now so I need to be
careful! I have big "C"- clamps tightened on the edges and corners of
my workbench and on shelving units and on other things like my drill
press. So anywhere I walk in the shop there is a nearby handhold
readily available. In some places I have clamped a short length of 2x4
in place. All this has saved me a tumble or two. sucks to get old and
deteriorate!

Glad you are still around!!!

+1 Yes long time no hear'um

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Well, I find myself more unstable on my feet now so I need to be
careful! I have big "C"- clamps tightened on the edges and corners of
my workbench and on shelving units and on other things like my drill
press. So anywhere I walk in the shop there is a nearby handhold
readily available. In some places I have clamped a short length of 2x4
in place. All this has saved me a tumble or two. sucks to get old and
deteriorate!

Gotsk ta gitcherself a set of glittery pink training wheels/rolling
baby walker, Tawm. Make 'em up right there in the shop. YeeeeHaw!
Something simple like this: https://is.gd/VY9p1u

Sure beats falling on hard ****. Condolences.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross
the road." --Steven Hawking

Another good plan is to get one of those "I've fallen and I can't get up" devices. My mom had one and their response was really good. You push the button and they're on the line right away.

I don't think I need one yet, but in a couple of years...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/24/2018 8:02 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
Well, I find myself more unstable on my feet now so I need to be careful!Â* I
have big "C"- clamps tightened on the edges and corners of my workbench and on
shelving units and on other things like my drill press.Â* So anywhere I walk in
the shop there is a nearby handhold readily available.Â* In some places I have
clamped a short length of 2x4 in place.Â* All this has saved me a tumble or two.
sucks to get old and deteriorate!

I'm there too these days. A few of my falls were me just not paying attention.
I've had some face plants on concrete and haven't broke anything yet. knock on
wood

I recently came across this on some tip on getting back on your feet after a fall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ETgQD8QhZs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2018-10-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
Well, I find myself more unstable on my feet now so I need to be
careful! I have big "C"- clamps tightened on the edges and corners of
my workbench and on shelving units and on other things like my drill
press. So anywhere I walk in the shop there is a nearby handhold
readily available. In some places I have clamped a short length of 2x4
in place. All this has saved me a tumble or two. sucks to get old and
deteriorate!

Glad you are still around!!!

+1 Yes long time no hear'um

I wonder if Don Foreman is still around or reads the group anymore.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 06:38:09 -0500, gray_wolf
wrote:

On 10/24/2018 8:02 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
Well, I find myself more unstable on my feet now so I need to be careful!* I
have big "C"- clamps tightened on the edges and corners of my workbench and on
shelving units and on other things like my drill press.* So anywhere I walk in
the shop there is a nearby handhold readily available.* In some places I have
clamped a short length of 2x4 in place.* All this has saved me a tumble or two.
sucks to get old and deteriorate!

I'm there too these days. A few of my falls were me just not paying attention.
I've had some face plants on concrete and haven't broke anything yet. knock on
wood

I recently came across this on some tip on getting back on your feet after a fall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ETgQD8QhZs.

I hafta get a walking stick. I'm thinking one of those collapsible ski
pole looking types. I've had vertigo for over 30 years but it has
gotten worse the last few years and I did a good face plant about a
month ago.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Well, I find myself more unstable on my feet now so I need to be
careful! I have big "C"- clamps tightened on the edges and corners of
my workbench and on shelving units and on other things like my drill
press. So anywhere I walk in the shop there is a nearby handhold
readily available. In some places I have clamped a short length of 2x4
in place. All this has saved me a tumble or two. sucks to get old and
deteriorate!

Gotsk ta gitcherself a set of glittery pink training wheels/rolling
baby walker, Tawm. Make 'em up right there in the shop. YeeeeHaw!
Something simple like this: https://is.gd/VY9p1u

Sure beats falling on hard ****. Condolences.

Tom's shop is too crowded for one of them A sky hook connected to
his suspenders would work better - - - - -

There ya go. I remember seeing something like that in a movie once.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross
the road." --Steven Hawking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tom's shop is too crowded for one of them A sky hook connected to
his suspenders would work better - - - - -

There ya go. I remember seeing something like that in a movie once.

Dune? The chief bad guy, Baron Harkonen, had an anti-gravity
levitation belt. Saved him from asassination. I don't think they
have them at Walmart, though.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tom's shop is too crowded for one of them A sky hook connected to
his suspenders would work better - - - - -

There ya go. I remember seeing something like that in a movie once.

Dune? The chief bad guy, Baron Harkonen, had an anti-gravity
levitation belt. Saved him from asassination. I don't think they
have them at Walmart, though.

Exactly! I cringed at that guy from the first second I saw him.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross
the road." --Steven Hawking
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/24/2018 8:02 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
Well, I find myself more unstable on my feet now so I need to be careful!Â* I
have big "C"- clamps tightened on the edges and corners of my workbench and on
shelving units and on other things like my drill press.Â* So anywhere I walk in
the shop there is a nearby handhold readily available.Â* In some places I have
clamped a short length of 2x4 in place.Â* All this has saved me a tumble or two.
sucks to get old and deteriorate!

I first realized I had a problem when I couldn't get out of the bath tub.
I couldn't stand up. After a while I managed to slide sideways to the floor.
I saw some ads for these various type of 'shower handles'. They maybe be
handy for other things too. I've just been showering these days but really
there are times I'd like to soak. Did a google search for "shower wall handle"

There are a ton of things out there that may be of help. The Strong Suction Cup
things are about $10.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My back's out right now, and I'm hobbling around with a pair of those.
The main issue is they need a rubber tip. The plastic cover for the
carbide tip is not skid resistant. The carbide tip would be a little
rough on the floors.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

At my local hardware store they sell rubber tips, like crutch tips, in
several sizes. Some have pretty samll I.D.s and might work for you.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 21:29:11 -0500, gray_wolf
wrote:

[...]

I can stand up OK except that I can lose balance on the way up. If I
bend over too far I run the risk falling too. I'ts like the feedback
loop in the balance center is working opposite. The harder I try to
straighten up the faster I curl over. Sometimes my son looks at me and
says my eyes are tracking back and forth rapidly. I don't even notice
anymore unless it's really severe.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And can REALLY ruin your day when they let go right when you need them
most - - - -
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 10/24/2018 8:02 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
Well, I find myself more unstable on my feet now so I need to be careful!* I
have big "C"- clamps tightened on the edges and corners of my workbench and on
shelving units and on other things like my drill press.* So anywhere I walk in
the shop there is a nearby handhold readily available.* In some places I have
clamped a short length of 2x4 in place.* All this has saved me a tumble or two.
sucks to get old and deteriorate!

I first realized I had a problem when I couldn't get out of the bath tub.
I couldn't stand up. After a while I managed to slide sideways to the floor.
I saw some ads for these various type of 'shower handles'. They maybe be
handy for other things too. I've just been showering these days but really
there are times I'd like to soak. Did a google search for "shower wall handle"

I installed dozens of grab bars for people over the past dozen years.
They work well (when properly fastened) and cost as little as $8 a
pop. Go to the store and pick out the diameter which feels best in
your hand. They come in 1", 1-1/4", and 1-1/2" diameters. I prefer
the 1-1/4" with knurled finish, myself, but I have very strong hands.
Install them with at least two screws on each side into the vertical
stud if your bath doesn't have blocking behind the wall covering. You
are potentially betting your life on their strong support. For
drilling tile, HF has a $10 set of carbide bits designed for it, and
they work well. https://is.gd/JXLW3q 61617 and 61618.

There are a ton of things out there that may be of help. The Strong Suction Cup
things are about $10.

I would never recommend anyone using one of those. The chance of
failure is high, with the things either slipping or coming entirely
free of the surface. Too dangerous.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross
the road." --Steven Hawking
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/24/2018 6:02 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
Well, I find myself more unstable on my feet now so I need to be
careful!Â* I have big "C"- clamps tightened on the edges and corners of
my workbench and on shelving units and on other things like my drill
press.Â* So anywhere I walk in the shop there is a nearby handhold
readily available.Â* In some places I have clamped a short length of 2x4
in place.Â* All this has saved me a tumble or two.Â* sucks to get old and
deteriorate!

I'm reminded of a couple older guys I know who fish bass tournaments.
The installed a rail right down the center of their front deck so they
could get from the driver's seat to front fishing pedestal more easily.
I hear Dee Thomas from The Ca Delta (Made Flipping Known) did that to
his boat too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

There are good ones..and very bad ones. Do NOT get a walking stick
that uses a collet to grip the sliding lower section. If you must..get
a stick or a can that has the little metal tit that sticks out of a
series of holes in the side and can be adjusted for height. They can
be had on Ebay for very very little money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carex-Desig...e/352384928669

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...sticks&_sop=12

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rugged-Terr...s/252961394715
Id be careful with these..redwood isnt all that strong)

Very strong..very light:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Natural...y/263134460053

Over the years...with all my various dings and divots..Ive had to use
a cane or a stick on more than a few occasions. At 6 ft 3 inches
tall...when I go down..its a long ways down. So I tend to keep STRONG
ones around. Typically Hickory or ash sticks/canes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brazos-Walk...5/142704688488

I have used the twin to this one a lot..both for walking and for
bashing a ******* who tried to steal my wallet. Busted his elbow quite
nicely...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sig...t/173591876399

These are very...very..very good canes and staffs. Pricey...but very
useful in many ways...

http://www.canemasters.com/

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Be damned careful of anything that isnt bolted directly to the wall
studs. Back in my cop days..I got called on more than one elderly
person that fell after depending on a "suction cup" and died over a
period of time...unable to get to phone or even out of the tube. . In
at least 2 cases as I recall..the tile squares come loose from the
wall itself..the suction cup gizmos held..but the glue behind the tile
failed.

Just saying....

__