Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default PAM Cooking Spray

I installed a new stove a couple weeks ago in the house. It was no big
deal. The most stressful part was making sure it was jetted and regulated
for LP gas instead of natural gas. I left off (a woefully short) back
splash because I plan to make a nice one that is actually tall enough to
keep grease and cooking spatter off the wall. Well of course SWMBO didn't
care for that much. She wanted that little back splash installed until I
get a round to-it.

Yesterday I went ahead and tackled that. Its got pre drilled holes and
thumb screws. Sadly the holes were not tapped. Out to the shop for a tap
handle and an M4-.7 tap then back at it. Oops. Forgot the tapping fluid,
and I could feel the stainless starting to gall as I tried to start the tap.
Rather than walk back out to the shop I hit the tap with a shot of olive l
cooking spray and it worked. Maybe not as impressively as Tap-Magic tapping
fluid but good enough to tap a couple holes in some stainless sheet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 10:07:19 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
Forgot the tapping fluid,
and I could feel the stainless starting to gall as I tried to start the tap.
Rather than walk back out to the shop I hit the tap with a shot of olive l
cooking spray and it worked. Maybe not as impressively as Tap-Magic tapping
fluid but good enough to tap a couple holes in some stainless sheet.

If I recall correctly "lard" was commonly used. If you find that round
tuit here is an old Machinery's Reference Book on Cutting Lubricants:

https://archive.org/details/cuttinglubricant00newyrich

All sorts of old concoctions you can experiment with

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
Forgot the tapping fluid,
and I could feel the stainless starting to gall as I tried to start the tap.
Rather than walk back out to the shop I hit the tap with a shot of olive l
cooking spray and it worked. Maybe not as impressively as Tap-Magic tapping
fluid but good enough to tap a couple holes in some stainless sheet.

If I recall correctly "lard" was commonly used. If you find that round
tuit here is an old Machinery's Reference Book on Cutting Lubricants:

https://archive.org/details/cuttinglubricant00newyrich

All sorts of old concoctions you can experiment with

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Note that the old reference book talks about lard OIL, not lard.

Lard oil is extracted from lard by separating it from the stearin crystals, which are the component that makes it stiff and pasty. It's the oil that makes good cutting lube. It used to be a common commodity because it was a cheap replacement for whale oil in lamps. The stearin was (and is) used in making candles, but it hampers cutting by keeping the oil from wicking into the cut.

Lard oil is not as good as modern chemical cutting soups but it's pretty good overall. I still use my old can of Buttercut, with was straight lard oil, for cutting ferrous metals on my lathe. I also use it for threading and tapping in applications that aren't highly demanding. For those, I have a couple of precious cans of 40-year-old Tap Magic. And for threading hard steel I still have a half-pint of carbon tet.

But we con't talk about that one. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
Forgot the tapping fluid,
and I could feel the stainless starting to gall as I tried to start the tap.
Rather than walk back out to the shop I hit the tap with a shot of olive l
cooking spray and it worked. Maybe not as impressively as Tap-Magic tapping
fluid but good enough to tap a couple holes in some stainless sheet.

If I recall correctly "lard" was commonly used. If you find that round
tuit here is an old Machinery's Reference Book on Cutting Lubricants:

https://archive.org/details/cuttinglubricant00newyrich

All sorts of old concoctions you can experiment with

I can certainly remember when "lard oil" still used as a cutting
lubricant.
--
Cheers

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
Forgot the tapping fluid,
and I could feel the stainless starting to gall as I tried to start the tap.
Rather than walk back out to the shop I hit the tap with a shot of olive l
cooking spray and it worked. Maybe not as impressively as Tap-Magic tapping
fluid but good enough to tap a couple holes in some stainless sheet.

If I recall correctly "lard" was commonly used. If you find that round
tuit here is an old Machinery's Reference Book on Cutting Lubricants:

https://archive.org/details/cuttinglubricant00newyrich

All sorts of old concoctions you can experiment with

I can certainly remember when "lard oil" still used as a cutting
lubricant.

I grew up using straight lard. We had the only pipe dies for twenty
miles at the time when we got electric power and people discovered
that they could have running water like the lucky family who had an
elevated storage tank supplied by a water ram in a nearby stream.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/23/2018 1:07 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I installed a new stove a couple weeks ago in the house.Â* It was no big
deal.Â* The most stressful part was making sure it was jetted and
regulated for LP gas instead of natural gas.Â* I left off (a woefully
short) back splash because I plan to make a nice one that is actually
tall enough to keep grease and cooking spatter off the wall.Â* Well of
course SWMBO didn't care for that much.Â* She wanted that little back
splash installed until I get a round to-it.

Yesterday I went ahead and tackled that.Â* Its got pre drilled holes and
thumb screws.Â* Sadly the holes were not tapped.Â* Out to the shop for a
tap handle and an M4-.7 tap then back at it.Â* Oops.Â* Forgot the tapping
fluid, and I could feel the stainless starting to gall as I tried to
start the tap. Rather than walk back out to the shop I hit the tap with
a shot of olive l cooking spray and it worked.Â* Maybe not as
impressively as Tap-Magic tapping fluid but good enough to tap a couple
holes in some stainless sheet.

Necessity is not the mother of invention...laziness is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

[...]

That old precious Tapmatic stuff with the chlorinated hydrocarbon
solvent worked very well indeed. And you can get stuff that works just
as well today. It's made by CRC. It's called TrueTap EV. Instead of
containing trichloroETHANE it contains trichloroETHYLENE. It says on
the bottle that it works as well as the old stuff and it does as near
as I can tell. Especially on 316 SS.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message news
[...]

******** My mom told me my grandfather used to say if you want to find the
easiest way to way to machine a part give the job to the laziest guy in the
shop.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

[...]

I'll have to keep that name handy. Thanks, Eric.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
Forgot the tapping fluid,
and I could feel the stainless starting to gall as I tried to start the tap.
Rather than walk back out to the shop I hit the tap with a shot of olive l
cooking spray and it worked. Maybe not as impressively as Tap-Magic tapping
fluid but good enough to tap a couple holes in some stainless sheet.

Whatever works, Bob.

If I recall correctly "lard" was commonly used. If you find that round
tuit here is an old Machinery's Reference Book on Cutting Lubricants:

https://archive.org/details/cuttinglubricant00newyrich

All sorts of old concoctions you can experiment with

I found myself needing my tapping machine and got it off the shelf,
the first time in something like 7 years. Got it from Gunner. Well, I
looked at the bottom of the rotatin' part and I'll be dodgammed if it
weren't showing me a gaper. There was nothing to hook a tap into, just
about a 3/4" hole.

Then I couldn't find my brand new bottle of TapMagic, so I settled for
MMO, which worked extremely well. What a difference from dry. I got
my 8 holes punched and threaded in the 0.5x1.25 cold rolled bar stock
for extending the solar panel rack (Unistrut) Cold galved it and put
'er together with stainless hardware and anti-seize to last awhile.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
Forgot the tapping fluid,
and I could feel the stainless starting to gall as I tried to start the tap.
Rather than walk back out to the shop I hit the tap with a shot of olive l
cooking spray and it worked. Maybe not as impressively as Tap-Magic tapping
fluid but good enough to tap a couple holes in some stainless sheet.

If I recall correctly "lard" was commonly used. If you find that round
tuit here is an old Machinery's Reference Book on Cutting Lubricants:

https://archive.org/details/cuttinglubricant00newyrich

All sorts of old concoctions you can experiment with

I can certainly remember when "lard oil" still used as a cutting
lubricant.

Me too, since I still use it.

Pete Keillor