gglines

Default Best steel for pellet stove burn box?

The firebox grate burned out on my brother-in-law's pellet stove and he
asked me to take a look at it. The manufacturer no longer supports his
model. Would stainless hold up better than other steels? I'm going to make
an insert that fits into his current burn box that will provide steeper
angles than the one he has, with possibly a replaceable grate at the bottom.
Apparently the burn box design on the newer stoves has more steeply angled
sides which promotes more efficient burning.

Thanks,

George

Bob Powell

"gglines" wrote in message
The firebox grate burned out on my brother-in-law's pellet stove and he
asked me to take a look at it. The manufacturer no longer supports his
model. Would stainless hold up better than other steels? I'm going to

make
an insert that fits into his current burn box that will provide steeper
angles than the one he has, with possibly a replaceable grate at the

bottom.
Apparently the burn box design on the newer stoves has more steeply angled
sides which promotes more efficient burning.

Thanks,

George

The cast iron firebox grate in my kitchen cookstove burned up and
disintegrated over the last few years. Small woodstove with a small hot
fire. I cut a replacement out of 3/8" A36 plate that still looks new after
one season. Steel of reasonable thickness ought to be more durable than
cast iron. Iron surely is used because it is so much cheaper to work with.

Bob

Karl Townsend

Assuming you're doing some welding, 304 stainleess steel is your best bet.

Karl

Bob May

My solution on a wood stove was to put in a grate that is sacrificial. I
used 1" channel and rebar for the grate. After a year, there appears to be
no erosion of the grate itself although the welding steel is eroding.
One of the things is to keep the iron from getting too hot and thus start
burning as all of the welds that are weakening are the thinner ones.

--
Bob May
Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less.

Pete & sheri

Cast iron grates (correctly designed) will outlast mild steel or rerod
grates many times. I tried several types of welded up grates for our
maple syrup evaporator (except for stainless or inconel) and they seldom
made it through one season. I finally broke down and bought commercially
made cast iron grates and they have lasted 7 or 8 years with no signs of
stress so far. The fire is about 250,000 btu's and runs for 8 to 36
hours, full blast, about 15 times each season. The whole firebox,
inside, is glowing most of the time.
The secret to a long life for cast iron grates is to NEVER let the
ashes pile up high enough to touch the bottom of the grates while they
are hot. If the ashes DO touch, the grates will sag in short order.

Pete Stanaitis

Bob Powell wrote:

"gglines" wrote in message

[...]

gglines