Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anvils, was Political...

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On 23 Sep 2018 16:13:46 -0300, Mike Spencer
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

He had one Harbor Freight anvil that served mainly to show how bad
they are by comparison.
ASO: Anvil Shaped Object.

"Wow, that thing rings just like real LEAD!"

To be fair, most of the pounding I do is bending or straightening
sheetmetal or separating stuck parts, and any heavy chunk of iron,
steel or often hardwood could serve. When I was little the shop
"anvil" was a rectangular steel counterweight my uncle had salvaged
from some old machine.

I mentioned earlier repairing damaged corrugated steel roofing over 2"
pipe. Yesterday I had better results reshaping the flattened and
crumpled corrugations of a roof a tree fell on over 1-1/4" pipe, which
allowed tightening the corrugations to match the screw holes to the
panels on either side.
-jsw
*************

Anyway, even a dead soft ASO is useful once in a while.

I actually have a piece of 4140 I've been planning to nickle weld to the
top, but I just haven't had the time. To many projects. To little time.

I have taken one of those cheap HF iron ASOs and milled a steel "cap"
for it. Milled the top of the ASO so it was a very tight fit, then just
used braze to hold it on. Makes a great tool but no where near my good
anvils for actual smithing. But for general heating and beating it is
solid enough that it works.

--
Steve W.