Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bending 304 stainless steel

replying to Ignoramus29180, Handiman1 wrote:
I bought some basting brushes at walmart, they were stainless steel 3/16 rod
they were getting rid of for 25 cents. I bent the rod in a vice with my hands
to a 90 then I went to bend the tip of the rod into a 90 so I could use it for
a grate removal tool on my weber. The end was stamped flat from the factory to
hold the brush, when I bent it it cracked so the second one I heated it with
map gas for 10 seconds and it turned red, I bent it like it was made of lead
very easy and then ran it under cold water. It doesn't rust where I used the
heat but it is discolored

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...eel-16152-.htm